It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If this is real, we may be invisable soon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Last night on TV, a local news station did a segment about some scientists making an invisability cloak. This interested me so I did a short web search, and found this...
Video

WHat do you think, is it real or CG?
I do wonder why the guys head doesn't appear behind the ball...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by goldbomb444]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by goldbomb444]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by goldbomb444

Cool and i heard somewhere i dont know where that theyre going to use invisibility cloaks or something like that on tanks or boats for war

which i hope to god that they dont.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think the video is probably real.

I wouldn't, however, call that "invisibility" just yet. It does seem to be a superior camoflauge, and would likely make people more difficult to see. But .. not invisible. It also probably doesn't do anything to avoid thermal imaging or IR ...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
i was searching the net a few weeks back about this stuff, i think they made it this way , so it not overly usefull yet

cloak

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's fake. When he holds the brick in front of his face, how come you can't see his face through the brick. Instead you see what's supposedly behind his face. This makes no sense at all. And also, in the last part when he's wearing the cloak, he holds his arm in front of his face, but you see what's supposed to be behind his head through his arm. Not what's behind his arm, which should be his face.

This is virtually impossible. (unless you use a projector of course :@@

[edit on 20/8/2008 by cPrime]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cPrime
It's fake. When he holds the brick in front of his face, how come you can't see his face through the brick. Instead you see what's supposedly behind his face. This makes no sense at all. And also, in the last part when he's wearing the cloak, he holds his arm in front of his face, but you see what's supposed to be behind his head through his arm. Not what's behind his arm, which should be his face.

This is virtually impossible.
it's not fake, it works just like an LCD screen. check out this link-------->science.howstuffworks.com...

The person wearing the cloak appears invisible because the background scene is being displayed onto the retro-reflective material. At the same time, light rays from the rest of the world are allowed reach the user's eye, making it seem as if an invisible person exists in an otherwise normal-looking world.
good way to hide a stationary object if you ask me,also i believe bigfurrytexan has a big thread on this but i can't seem to find it

[edit on 20-8-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It's fake. When he holds the brick in front of his face, how come you can't see his face through the brick. Instead you see what's supposedly behind his face.

I haven't checked out the link..but if it works like the other way I've seen.. It used 'cameras' on the back and projects the images to micro 'tv's ' on the front.. That's the easiest way to describe it..

The brick would block the picture from the 'tv's ' to the viewers line of sight.

I hope that's accurate to this case..

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well according to the news broadcast, these bend light somehow...no cameras involved.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by goldbomb444

Then I'm happy I'm wrong
Just looked at it.. Where can I get a poncho with this material..??

Great find.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by miguelbmx

What I meant was that it's fake in the context of the article. It makes the technology out to be material that bends light around it by itself. It doesn't say anything about a camera or projector. So the video is not an example of the technology the article is talking about.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I will try to find the exact article I saw on the news...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
No video, but here you go...
Clicky

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cPrime

i see what you are getting at my bad.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Invisibility cloak might be in use by the military already. I have seen a video from Iraq that shows a US tank get hit by an IED and then something that looks like a shadow ran up to the tank and as it climbs on top of it it "decloacks" and you can see a soldier come to view.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

This is virtually impossible. (unless you use a projector of course :@@

[edit on 20/8/2008 by cPrime]

This is real. He didn't have any part of the fabric covering his face. I forget how the technology works. This was a topic discussed on the site a LONG time ago. It must be almost 2 years.

Anyways, it's like the green screens for newscasts and such. That's the basis for the technology.

Now, would it work in real life? What I mean is, if you put the cloak on would people see the stuff behind you? Not unless you were looking through video eyes. Like I said, it's like a green screen.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Looks just like Chroma Key to me the same trick they use in weather forcasts.

wiki

basically a blue or green background onto which they would project a static image and then he holds a blue or green ball / brick in front of himself which the camera would interpret as the chorma key background .. pretty simple stuff really ....

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I think that the inventors of the "cloaking devices" are trying to oversell their technology (probably to gain financial support). They are using the term "bend light" when I really doubt that they are bending the path that the light travels. Refraction or digital manipulation...maybe. I think Einstein pointed out just how much force it takes to actually bend light in his special theory of relativity and these guys can't possibly have that kind of technology.

I think the effect is awesome and would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money, but the video is probably misleading.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I know the actual video was real, but like I already said, the video is not showing the technology that the article is talking about. The article mentions a material that can bend light around itself. The video is just showing a projected image onto some type of reflective material. So therefore, the article is misleading you to think that the video is showing an "invisibility cloak", when it is not.

Sorry for not clarifying my opinion more the first time.

new topics

top topics

join