It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery surrounds humming noise

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bicnarok

Pretty sure it is not caused by Wind Farms but one thing I am sure about is that sooner or later they are going to get all the blame for the HUM.

Tweakie.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Okey, for awhile I though I was crazy till I found this. I live here in Central N.Y. and it's been a few years, but I've heard this humming when I was living in an apartment. Soon as it'd start it was grate on my nerves and after awhile I'd go from zero to po'd in a split second over the smallest thing. At the time I asked my neighbors in the apartments around me if they could hear it, none did. No matter where I went in the apartment I could hear/feel it, going outside it seem worse. Now this would go on for a couple days then stop for a week, then start back up again. It'd usually start around 12, 1AM an last a couple two or three hours. Nothing I tried would ease the noise, radio, tv, ear plugs, nothing. Any suggestions? Not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but the apartment was about fifteenish miles in a straight line with an Air Base. But I've since moved and the Base is for the most part closed and I haven't heard the damn hum in a few years.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
In the UK - DEFRA, a government body, has now launched an investigation into the hum by recruiting a number volunteers to keep records and conduct tests relating to what they hear on a scheduled basis.

This could be the way forward to finding a solution but I suspect that the emphasis will be placed on 'learning to live with tinnitus' rather than 'finding the source of the hum'.

We will have to wait and see.

Tweakie.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dogsounds

I too have been hearing this hum for several months now.. Mainly when I lay down in bed a night, but I can hear it all the time, especially when the ambient noise is quieter. Its particularily stron in the bathroom, maybe something to do with acoustics.. At first I presumed it was something in the house or a neighbours house or something fairly local, but last week I was visiting a friend 17 miles away and i could hear it at his house. On saturday I pulled up in a car park about 10 miles away from my house, when I turned the engine off and was sat quietly in the car, I could hear the noise.. I started to think that I was going mad or something, so today I decided to google it and was shocked at what I found..

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well I definitely believe it's not wind generators. Where I live we've had them for 10 years and I've only just started to hear this annoying hum in the last year and a half. Plus the Wind generators are situated to the east and the noise seems to be coming from a westerly direction, especially at night time when the hum is at it's loudest. After searching hundreds of websites, I came across one tip that recommends that you place a pillow between yourself and the direction you think the hum is coming from and that should help to reduce the effects that the annoying hum is having on you.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Hi Kindred,

As I am sure you will have seen from the sites you have visited everyone keeps going over the same ground - we all keep going round and round (myself included). WTF causes this HUM !. I am sure that if we can determine the source then the solution to the problems that it is causing can be eliminated. How to proceed ?, I wish I knew. Any suggestions ?.

Tweakie.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Another site I have been following is here :-

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

The problem with this site is that all posts have to be approved by the moderator and so anything that he does not approve of or agree with may not get posted. That is (in my view) no way to achieve a balanced forum of opinion.

A good friend of mine loved the films 'The Matrix' and he suggested that we are not really here at all but are living our lives in 'virtual reality'. He concludes that the HUM is the background noise produced by the computers / hard drives on which all our lives exist.

Now I don't agree with his conclusion but I defend his right to his opinion and after all his opinion is as valid as any other in the absence of any definite proof to the contrary. So why should his opinions not be posted ?.

If you have not seen the forum - please visit it.

Tweakie.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I totally agree tweakie, when it comes to the hum everyone is scratching their heads wondering what the cause is, so at the moment any opinion expressed should be taken into consideration no matter how bizarre and zany it may appear to be.

As far the hum itself, it's still driving me crazy. I got about two hours sleep at most last night and yet again I have flu like syptoms. This hum leaves me vibrating and shakining even after it has appeared to have stopped. It's making my life hell, so I definitely want to know what's causing it, or what's behind it.

Here's some interesting articles about the application of sound and it's possible uses. Some of them are quite sinister. I'll checkout the yahoo link. Thanks!

Black Hole Sound Waves _ Could the hum be from a black hole?

science.nasa.gov...

www.forteantimes.com...

Could it be a weapon?

The Taos Hum

You no doubt heard about the cruise ship that fought off a pirate attack Saturday. Today’s San Diego Union-Tribune has an interesting story about the “nonlethal acoustic weapon” the cruise ship employed to fend off the pirates. It’s called the Long-Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) and was developed by a San Diego-area company for military use.

Reports Bruce V. Bigelow: “The disk-shaped transmitter can emit an ear-splitting warning noise akin to a fire alarm as well as jackhammer-like pulses that can travel nearly two-thirds of a mile. At the limit of its range, the sound produced by the LRAD is roughly 95 decibels—equivalent to standing a few feet away from a speeding subway train or chain saw.”

The ship combined use of the noise device with other defensive measures. Writes Bigelow.

www.worldhum.com...

Georgia Police Turns Sonic Blaster on Demonstrators - Video

blog.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Hi Kindred,

I think that this thread is well and truly dead now. It's been nice communicating with you, perhaps we will both stumble on to another website dealing with the HUM in the future.

Cheers for now.

Tweakie.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I woke up today after 4 hours of sleep. When I put my earplugs in, all I could hear was the hum. If I put a pillow over my head, it was just as loud. I could not get back to sleep. Now I feel like a zombie.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Here are a few links to a humming sound back in the 1990's.My dad lives in the area and never heard a thing.

query.nytimes.com...
www.unknowncountry.com...
www.physicsforums.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I know this thread is a few months old now but Ive been hearing a weird sound in the night for last 3 evenings and then caught a DJ on bbc Radio 2 talking about it this afternoon,I was at work so only heard a fraction of what was said.I live near Sheffield and was wondering if anyone else had heard this? Its like a low hum but loud enough to distinguish over the background sounds that are always there,it seems to come from the sky but is noticable pretty much constantly in the quiet hours between 2am and 5am.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sorry!!

[edit on 20/5/2009 by Jibbs]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I know what you are talking about, i live in an area that is mostly very very old mountains, no earthquakes or volcanoes modern time, that is last 2000-3000 years. Recently i've started to feel vibrations when in in my bed or at the computer desk. Its a low frequency rumble and i can feel it in my body but i can not not hear it. Anyone else in northern europe experiencing this kind of rumble ?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Good post. I think I already posted some of that.
But it's a good post

I think the Taos Hum is one of the more well-known examples of the phenomenon since it occurred in "our own backyard", so to speak.

But I knew that this was probably a more widespread phenomenon, and usually with unexplainable phenomenon if it is happening in one place on the planet, why not elsewhere?
So a couple months ago I did some digging that took a couple nights of my free time and I found alot of different examples of said "humming".

At other sites around the globe, scientists have recorded the hum.. See my previous post to listen to some of the wav files. Also, for those who believe they are hearing the humming sounds related to this phenomenon, you can listen to the wav files and compare them to what you are hearing. You can also research the witness testimony from other sites around the globe that have experienced this phenomenon and compare the first-hand accounts to what you've experienced. There's alot of great information online regarding the phenomenon, it just seems that alot of the more interesting, more tangible content is a little bit hidden behind the "hum" of questionable internet sites.

There are actually multiple organisations around the globe devoted to researching the phenomenon, and some organisations have even conducted in-depth investigations and analyses' on these bizarre sounds.

What I included in my last post is a little bit of the really interesting material I came across. I usually try to include alternate explanations too. at least something other than things like industrial fans and helicopters.. Especially since you would probably notice helicopters flying around somewhere if the hum is constant for days/weeks on end.. And you would probably be able to track down the noise coming from Industrial fans (at least to some degree). And, if nothing else, you would be able to rule it out if no such fans are anywhere nearby in the first place. This phenomenon seems to occur in the oddest locations too. I mean.. Taos, New Mexico?? Kokomo?

Does the sound get drowned out by other noises and buildings in high-population areas? It seems odd that it only happens in semi-populated locations that usually have hills and/or mountains nearby. This could mean that the cause is related to tectonic activity deep underground. The crust of the earth might be acting as a giant subwoofer for transferring and/or amplifying those sounds into frequency ranges that are semi-audible for human beings). We do know that scientist have discovered a planetary "hum" emanating from deep beneath the earth's crust.

Earth Gives Off Mysterious Low Hum Fox News article by Charles Q. Choi, 18 April 2008.

Scientists had actually expected to find these kinds of oscillations, but these new ring-like waves are surprisingly about as powerful as the spheroidal ones are. The expectation was they would be relatively insignificant.

New thinking

This discovery should force researchers to significantly rethink what causes Earth's hum.

While the spheroidal oscillations might be caused by forces squeezing down on the planet — say, pressure from ocean or atmospheric waves — the twisting ring-like phenomena might be caused by forces shearing across the world's surface, from the oceans, atmosphere or possibly even the sun.

Future investigations of this part of the hum will prove challenging, as "this is a very small signal that is hard to measure, and the excitation is probably due to multiple interactions in a complex system," said researcher Rudolf Widmer-Schnidrig, a geoscientist at the University of Stuttgart, Germany.

Still, a better understanding of this sound will shed light on how the land, sea and air all interact, he added.

Source of Earth's Hum Revealed, Space Symphony Possible (from space.com)
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 10:18 am ET
26 March 2000

Infrasonic Signals in the Environment (PDF File)
by D.L. "West" Marrin Ph.D.
from Water Sciences and Insights
for the "Acoustics 2004 Conference"

Earth hums while making 'Love' waves
by Larry O'Hannon from "Discovery News", 17 April 2008.

-ChriS

[edit on 21-5-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Naw its not a space craft . its the US government doing just another bad thing to the world . they are probably drilling a massive hole under the ground to have another base that can kill people ... but idk.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
dooleysleftleg - Welcome to the hum.
You're in the same boat as the rest us. Even the experts are still baffled.

BlasteR - Thanks for the articles. I'll shall check them out. The fox one about Earth giving off a hum is interesting. Maybe the planet has had enough of us all and has decided to exact revenge through this annoying hum.
I wonder if any of these sounds (vibrations) that the Earth makes has an effect on evolution. You never know.

www.scribd.com...

I see the hum has been mentioned quite a lot lately in the media. It seems to be affecting more & more people. I'm glad to say I haven't noticed the humming noise lately. It's either that, or I'm just so used to it, that I've now learnt to completely ignore it. However, I still can feel the vibrations though.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.sott.net...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thanks Kindred,Im glad im not on my own and thanks for the link to thee bbc pages to.The woman featured there is not to far away from me which makes me think im definetly not hearing things!Seems like this phenomena as been going on for a long while and could be related to something geological that makes more sense to me then the mutterings I have heard and read about it being Niburu or Planet X getting closer to earth or a giant spaceship etc. Looks like i will just have to hum along and put up with it for now until we understand the reason behind it.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i really dont think there is a planet x thats going to come in 2012 or any other thing.as you say i think its more to do with planet earth its self

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Helicopter noise or humming soundYou have to see this topic. The noise is really affecting people in their health.!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join