It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery surrounds humming noise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Why do you say a space craft, may possibly operate and radiate magnetic fields?

There is probably 10,000,000 + different ways, of getting around what people think their Universe actually is, which does not involve “electronics” or “magnetic fields” at all....
LOL...

Friendly Regards,

The Matrix Traveller...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Check out over the Horizon Radar systems that operate at very low frequencies.

The Report of a "Hum" in various places around the earth has been often heard in the past.

There are monitoring stations that monitor RF activity with regard to Licensing
communication bands.

The "wood pecker" as it is known to some, or Long wave Propagation operating systems, are monitored by Government monitoring stations, which monitor licensing regulations, regarding the broadcasting of RF and ULF or in fact any EM transmission.

Huge amounts of Power are required to produce very low frequency transmissions.

Friendly Regards,

The Matrix Traveller....

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

I also recently saw a TV special on the Northern lights which talked about how the ELF frequencies created by the auroras might become amplified by certain kinds of rocks in/on the surface of the earth. People have come forward claiming to have actually heard the auroras slightly as a hissing crackling noises (which sounds uncannily similar to amplified ELF recordings of the auroras).

I live in Alaska. A couple years ago my stepdad told me a story about he was outside one night when the auroras were especially active. He said that he could actually audibly hear some kind of noise that seemed to coincide with the intensity and patterns of the auroras. SO... I know it's possible.

www.gi.alaska.edu...

"There's something going on," Hallinan said of the aurora's whisper. "It's scientifically unreasonable, yet people do hear it."

Hallinan says the thin air of the ionosphere--where the aurora dances from 60 to about 200 miles above the earth's surface--can't carry sound waves. Even if it could, Hallinan says, we're so far away that it would take several minutes for the sound to reach us.

Hallinan suggests a few possible explanations for auroral noise. He said the brain may sense electromagnetic waves from the aurora and somehow convert them to sound. Another theory is that electrical currents induced on the ground by the aurora (which also corrode the trans-Alaska oil pipeline) may create an audible electrical discharge from nearby objects such as spruce trees or buildings.

It's somehow comforting that this part of the aurora borealis remains a mystery. The voice of the aurora will undoubtedly someday be captured on tape and explained, but if I ever hear it, I'll whisper back. Maybe Barron has something to tell us.

Which brings up the possibility that EMF energy is becoming amplified somehow biologically by the human brain, making the sounds audible from the inside-out, not from the outside-in. And if some people are really more sensitive to EMF energy than others (which seems to be the case) then obviously some people might hear it while others do not.

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We have had a 'humming' noise that you can hear at night quite loud in the town where I live. Im not in the UK though. Its been going for a few months now.
I might go check it out tonight.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by leearco

Hi, leearco

Are you located near Alice Springs by any Chance?

If Not, about how many Km away are you, from there?

Friendly Regards,

The Matrix Traveller...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by The Matrix Traveller

Im a long way from Alice Springs. I spent a few weeks up at Alice at the start of the year. Strange place that one.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by leearco

If other people are hearing it, I would suggest bringing a hand-held recording device of some kind to try and record it. I'm really interested in what these things sound like. As I said before, Audibly hearing the aurora is one thing, but from what I've heard these kinds of humming noises sound artificial because of the repetitiveness of the sounds and their distinct patterns and tones.

I know that scientists have captured these noises in the past.

This news story is out of New Zealand from 2006. It has an embedded media player that you can play and listen to the sound that was recorded by scientists there (its at the bottom of the page).
Mystery humming sound captured

Another related news story on this humming sound in New Zealand here:
www.unknowncountry.com...

This is a youtube video about a humming sound experienced in Taos, New Mexico (I guess from 2007 but I'm not sure the exact timeframe). The guy with the tattoos on the face freaks me out a little..

The "Taos Hum" on Wikipedia

I'm also seeing reports of people who have been experiencing this humming noise in Denmark recently..

www.godlikeproductions.com...

We've been getting this too here in Copenhagen, Denmark

about 7 months since it started

everyday, late night and/or very early morning

sounds like a minor earthquake, or large stones grinding, you can FEEL it, in the floor and HEAR it

IVE BEEN LIVING HERE 19 YEARS

NEVER HEARD OR FELT THIS BEFORE!

From what I understand, this sound has also been heard in Bristol, UK.
www.mendhak.com...

The Bristol Hum is the most widely reported hum in the U.K. Some of the features of the Bristol Hum are:

* Sounds like an idling diesel engine.
* Most "hummers" are over the age of 50
* At least one partially deaf person hears the hum without using a hearing aid
* "Hearing" of radar signals can be ruled out, since aluminum foil enclosures do not attenuate the Hum.
* If a signal generator and loudspeaker is used, a zero beat can be heard around 100Hz
* Steel enclosures (such as cars, vehicles, some buildings) slightly attenuate the perceived hum, but only if greater than 1/8" wall thickness.
* J. Hall of Bristol UK committed suicide in 10/96 after having been driven crazy by the hum.
* The Hum can be detected and recorded using coil detectors.

Similar noises have also been heard around 2006 in Auckland, Norway which drove people nuts..
www.profilingtheunexplained.com...

You can see the official news story on this HERE

Mysterious humming driving Aucklanders 'bonkers'

Friday October 27, 2006
By Kate Chapman

A mysterious humming driving people to despair across Auckland has pricked the ears, and curiosity, of scientists trying to find the source.

Massey University computer engineering scientists Tom Moir and Fakhrul Alam have been contacted by more than 30 people, most in Auckland and the North Shore, who claim to have heard a humming noise.

The symptoms are similar to those suffered by people with tinnitus, commonly associated with a prolonged high-frequency ringing in the ear.

Most people can hear between 20 hertz and 20 kilohertz and the humming is around 56 hertz, according to Dr Moir's research.

Not everyone could hear the sound, because of its low volume, he said.

"We're all born differently - some people are better runners, some people are better hearers."

An Auckland woman who heard the sound described it as a "low drone or rumble".

The woman, who asked not to be named or have her suburb identified, said the noise had become so bad she was thinking about selling her home.

"I absolutely love my home but last night I couldn't get to sleep before 5am. In desperation I even tried to put Blu-Tack in my ears," she said.

But nothing works. The noise is louder inside and during the night when there are no other sounds to mask it.

Very interesting!!

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
There are places here in the US southwest that have had a "hum" for a very long time.

Weird I was just talking about this today here in Las Vegas and now I find this thread...

Thanks for that link I was not aware it was that common... I get it late at night... sound like the base you hear from music but slow and a long way off... sometimes loud enough to give you a head ache but not really hear it.
I noticed it particularly one night when it suddenly stopped... the sudden cessation of the sound was amazing. My wife can't hear it but my daughter can... some nights it gets so strong its hard to sleep... but you 'feel' it more than hear it.

I know the NAVY was running long wave experiments for sub marine communications that was killing the whales... Pierce Brosnan was working on that cause

It seems more a sub sonic resonance than a direct sound... I run a white noise fan... the air movement should break up such sounds a bit but this gets through..

Funny just now it stopped... weird... I was planning to start a thread to see if anyone else had this..

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
People have come forward claiming to have actually heard the auroras slightly as a hissing crackling noises (which sounds uncannily similar to amplified ELF recordings of the auroras).

Stephen P. McGreevy's ground-based ELF-VLF recordings
www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu...

So why always pick on HAARP

Maybe its NERC

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Nice work Chris Thanks you just saved me many hours of work

The last one in your post thats it thats where mine is at... I am one of those with the 'extended' hearing range... not bragging here its actually a curse as I can hear a dog whistle as a high pitch whine just barely there the same way I hear the sun.... my low end was tested at 48

Once in Toronto I woke up in the middle of the night my head felt like it would explode... nothing I could do to stop it... didn't know what it was.... then at 5:00 am it stopped just like that... I almost fell over the silence was so 'loud'

After a while I realized what it was... The Toronto subways had their yard behind our apartment and in winter they keep the trains powered up... There was one motor that was producing the sound... at 5:00 am the train moved out for rush hour... the sound stopped

But that still doesn't give a source for these low level waves, though we DO have an underground sub base in Hawthorne... that is a long way from Vegas

Anyway thanks for digging that up

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
TAOS HUM

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
We had a similar problem here in Christchurch , New Zealand. All sorts of theories....

Turns out to be a new multi story carpark built at local hospital on the 2nd and 3rd floors were metal fencing that channelled the wind. Strange part was only a a small percentage of the population could pickup on the noise.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

I first noticed this noise about 2 to 3 months ago. I usually notice it late at night before I go to sleep. I do have tinnitus but I know its not that. I can tell the difference. There was an small piece in the paper about a month ago and it was like a letter to the editor asking if anyone else had heard this. (thats also how I knew its not just me
I didnt keep the article though)

*I just checked outside but all I can hear is the neighbours central heating. If I remember i will check late tonight and record it or at least try. my camera isnt the best. see what happens though.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

thanks for coming to my thread Zorgon.

and many thanks to all the people who are contributing.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by leearco

The story/article may be on the newspaper's website. I'm interested in hearing if you find anything. I'd search myself but didn't know which paper you were referring to..Thanks

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

It was the local paper. (Maryborough (VIC) Advertiser)

I tried to capture the sound last night but my camera didnt pick it up. It definately came from a few different directions. It was a constant noise (thus not another central heating system). It was similar to the Taos sound at about 30secs. Though it is mixed with the traffic in the youtube clip. If you dont take notice it could easily be heard as traffic. The reason why its not traffic that Im hearing, is that you can clearly hear the difference when a car drives by. (its a small town that I live in).
I will try and go for a drive when I get time and isolate it if possible.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I've Been at it again tonite trying to find actual audio clips of these unexplained humming sounds.

This is what I have.
The "Taos Hum" can be found here in Wav - file format (wav file is always the best way to save an audio file because it keeps the audio as intact as possible).

Taos Hum Wav File 1

Taos Hum Wav File 2

If you are having problems getting the wav file to play properly (like I am) go to THIS link. The buttons for the wav files can be found in a grey box about halfway down the page. From there you can right-click the buttons and "save target as" to save the wav file to your desktop..

I found some really interesting information about the Taos Hum HERE (includes sources).

I also ran across a truckload of personal accounts of the Taos Hum at THIS website.

And a really interesting paper/report on the Taos Hum written by Joe Mullins and Jim Kelly of the University of New Mexico (from 1995). That is located HERE

Some analysis of the "Bristol Hum" (mentioned in previous post) can be found HERE and HERE

Although, my efforts to track down an audio clip of the Bristol Hum have been unsuccessful.. I'll keep looking!

I also found a new one.. It is called the "Kokomo Hum". A German organisation called "The Association for research about the Hum" has conducted an in-depth scientific analysis of this unexplained sound. Their homepage can be found HERE though most of the site is in German..

This organisation's final report on the "Kokomo Hum" can be found HERE in English and in PDF format. The appendix to this report can be found in English HERE ..VERY COOL STUFF!!

Actually, a blast from the past ATS thread on the Kokomo hum can be found right HERE (Op's post dated 9/28/03
) which explains how the cause could somehow be attributed to industrial fans..

when you consider the entire concept of "non-lethal" military weaponry involving sound used as a weapon (possibly even a way of manipulating the human mind to do things it normally would not) you start to wonder whether or not this is deliberate. Especially given the facts..
1-The sources can never be located due to the attributes of the sound themselves.
2-These sounds can be heard for days/weeks on end.
3-Some people report that the sounds have artificial qualities.

There is a really interesting article below called "The Acoustics of War" with sourced info..
www.cabinetmagazine.org...

That's all for tonite..

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

excellent work there BlasteR,
i will have a read through the links,
well done.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
We have the same in the Netherlands in some village,

Here is a article about it, its in Dutch do but if you have a good translation program

www.grenswetenschap.nl...

people have commited suicide because of it

on two places they said it was beacause of a powercentrum

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Probably just a dodgy powerline.

Or kids playing a prank....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join