It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery surrounds humming noise

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ok I managed to sign in at last so apologies to the Mods if a double post comes through from me as anon etc.

Here goes.

I live in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK on a busy main arterial route into town.

I live alone and don't do any drugs etc boring mundane life, pay bills and so forth.

I very rarely go to bed much before 2am so I am constantly up late partly due to my job self employed DJ / Karaoke entertainments business.

Somewhere between 6 to 8 months ago I began to hear anywhere from 11pm onwards (or as less traffic pass by) a humming noise which is accompanied by low level vibrations that I can feel through my bedroom floor.

Because of the nature of the busy road outside I sometimes feel the vibrations through the day but I put that down to the traffic although recently because of fuel costs even the traffic levels have subsided too and to be honest its odd to hear it so quiet outside in the daytime having lived here for four years.

That said, the odd taxi and emergency vehicle pass by at night but no way produce the humming or vibration that I experience and sometimes even when I have got in bed the vibration is still noticeable.

I liken it as one other poster mentioned to underground workings etc, its seems sub sonic although that said Barnsley was once the centre of the coal mining industry in South Yorkshire so I would assume beneath where I live it must be riddled with passages as less than a mile from me at one time Barnsley Main Collery was situated.

Hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
hi there to all the recent posters, i am the OP.

i strongly think that some of these are underground related, esp the last poster, in Barnsley.

as for the other cases, can you poss find out the direction of the noises ??

thanks to all who have contributed so far

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Will do, I should be able to get a recording tonight, so will post it sometime between midnight-4am GMT (hopefully, unless it doesn't occur for the first time and I end up looking like a complete gimp, lol)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
There are places here in the US southwest that have had a "hum" for a very long time.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Hum is a generic name for a series of phenomena involving a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming noise not audible to all people. Hums have been reported in various geographical locations. In some cases a source has been located. A well-known case was reported in Taos, New Mexico, and thus the Hum is sometimes called the Taos Hum. Hums have been reported all over the world, especially in Europe. A Hum on the Big Island of Hawaii, typically related to volcanic action, is heard in locations dozens of miles apart. The local Hawaiians also say the Hum is most often heard by men. The Hum is most often described as sounding somewhat like a distant idling diesel engine. Typically the Hum is difficult to detect with microphones, and its source and nature are hard to localize.

Many people who live around a "hum" believe it is energy from the Earth itself. Some call them "energy vortexes" and believe that they affect humans in spiritual ways.

I have not heard the "hum" in Taos, but I have heard it in Sedona, Arizona, another place where there is believed to be a large number of energy vortexes and heightened spiritual perception.

I would not be surprised at all if it was related to energy movement in the Earth. Volcanic, Seismic, or otherwise. (Spiritual.)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
drilling for oil from suffolk to iran at a slight angle....lol

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
lol fatdad, that was hilarious.

I can theorize a few reasonings at the moment...

1: As I stated earlier, there could be an EM resonant source near a conductive object, which is vibrating it causing the noise. Essentially an accidental version of a speaker. Only, by the sound of it, much larger in scale.
(Look for transformers near metal frames. That could do it in theory.)

2: Wind resonating between two solid objects acting as an accidental whistle.
(But that would occur during the day as well. Unless it's a crane being erected at night acting as the whistle)

3: Traffic (cars, trains, etc) vibrating a steel frame as it passes over it, causing the noise.
(Again, it should happen during the day, unless the trains there run primarily at night.)

4: Something bizarre and in need of research.
(You sci-fi enthusiasts can use your imagination here.)

5: Anything basic, or intentional I might have missed.
(Remember, it could be something very simple, like a prankster with an amp.)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
hi, snoopyuk. i used to live in the north georgia mountains. although i never experienced a hum while living at harper valley when i visited my sisters approx 13 miles away each time i lay my head on the pillow at night i could hear a hum. she also acknowledged the hum each time she lay down.

i too agree it comes from down under and not Australia.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, got my recording rig set up - better than my N95 mobile (Shure mic, Tascam and Teac multi-tracks (analog and digital), so I should be able to get some good quality audio recordings out my window. I'll try for the eerie noises tonight, but I'll also see if I can get a normal plane take-off from the airport for comparison. Sadly, only one mic works, so it'll be mono.

Just got a great recording of a fly by but unfortunately forgot to take the effects processor out of the loop, so it had a large hall reverb on it - oops lol

[edit on 21-8-2008 by dogsounds]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dogsounds

nice one,
thats some good equipment there mate.

edit: nothing like a bit of reverb ...lol

musselwhite ....love the australia joke !!

thanks
snopyuk

[edit on 21-8-2008 by snoopyuk]

[edit on 21-8-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dogsounds

Oh don't worry about it being mono. You're recording from a single point of reference, and the noise will be too ambient and distant to tell left and right channels apart from each other anyways.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Funny how they never look into RF pollution creating all these cross over frequencies and subsequent audio harmonics. Can't have them brain cooking cellphone towers off the market though and people that hear hums can buy earplugs.

you really have absolutely no concept of the difference between RF and audio, do you? You do realize that even right now, you're being bombarded by multiple RF frequencies within range of hearing frequencies and you can't hear them.. why? because RF isn't sound, which is a pressure wave.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

well, good equipment but OLD!

The analog 8-track is a Tascam 388 - about 20 years old! And the mic is older, and not exactly cooperative. Luckily the digital 8 track is a D80 - old, but digital is digital

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well I live in the North of England and I've been hearing a humming noise for about a year now. It's definitely affecting my sleep patterns and it may also be responsible for the constant vibration I feel. Even my bed is vibrating some of the time.
The noise to me sounds like a repetitive hum, like a generator. Funny thing is, I'm the only one who can hear it. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to change positions. In the morning it sounds like it's coming from the East and then slowly moves around towards the North and by the early morning it's coming from the West. Sometimes at certain times in the morning, the noise seems to become louder and the humming becomes faster, which makes it impossible for me to sleep. I've even tried using ear plugs which makes it even worse as it cancels out most of the other sounds, just not this annoying humming noise. Would love to know what it is. Maybe there's a simple down to Earth explanation, but who knows.

The world wide humming sound phenomenon

Sounds like this couple have got it just as bad as myself, if not worse.
forums.moneysavingexpert.com...
www.northernearth.com...
www.npr.org...
www.science-frontiers.com...
www.ufoevidence.org...
amasci.com...
kharmonics.com...
amasci.com...

The Earth Is Humming; Can You Hear It ?
www.gather.com...

There's alot of people who are hearing this hum, but still no one is sure what is causing it?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I and others here in the west west of the uk have been hearing a humming noise too. it must have been going on for about 5/6 months sometimes it sounds as if it is pulsating, when it happens I have disterbed nights sleep............... this may sound strange but it seems stronger on a Sunday??? no idea why okay myself and others hearing it live miles apart on fringes of town and in the country where there is not much traffic,,, there are underground tunnels in this area ancient ones which they say are closed (mmmH not so sure about that) as sometimes it sounds as if its coming above but then it also can sound as if it is coming from below................. i have acute hearing and i can tell the difference between the humm of electricity or phone masts etc this is not any of those................

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Very interesting thread this. Does anyone know the frequency of the hum? or does it change from time to time and place to place. If it was the same frequency that might mean its the same kind of source making the noise.

I used to hear this deep low chugging type noise, at night, when i lived near rosyth in fife. A map of hum location would be good, some might be near military bases.

my shillings worth

cant wait for the recording, 8 tracks bring back memories

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just an update.

I am sat here now and can hear the hum, I would would describe it more as a hum rather than a "buzz", it seems to have a cycle / repetitive machinic rhythm.

It is accompanied by the vibrations that I can feel through the floor (upstairs bedroom where my PC is located) my bed is in other room and as posted by another reply I can also feel the vibrations whilst laid in bed.

The vibrations seem to intensify then revert then intensify again, sometimes minor hardly noticeable and sometimes much stronger and quite noticeable, theres a point when I feel slight aprehension just as I did before the tremble / quake occured some months ago.

Even to the point my Landlord came round and I mentioned it to him he seemed bemused but did notice a crack in the ceiling plus others I have noticed however I also noticed these after we experienced the earth tremble / quake some months ago.

Maybe a link there perhaps ?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by excelents

Is there anyway you could switch of the electricity and see if you can still hear it? And I live in a flat and my neighbor upstairs has in the past had computers and tv's that have kept me awake, not through the noise but the vibrations they cause. Could it be something like that?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by beefeater
reply to post by excelents

Is there anyway you could switch of the electricity and see if you can still hear it? And I live in a flat and my neighbor upstairs has in the past had computers and tv's that have kept me awake, not through the noise but the vibrations they cause. Could it be something like that?

Part of the reason my Landlord was round last week was over the weekend my electric failed so from Friday to Sunday afternoon I was without electric no power to anything.

So Friday night in an empty powerless house you can imagine how I felt torch, candles etc and the hum and vibration so on that front I can at least rule electricity out.

Apologies if the person below is not everyones favourite however the subject matter seems to be relevant.

www.davidicke.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hi excelents, your experience is pretty identical to mine. I'm lying on my bed as I type this and I'm also vibrating. It's only slight at the moment, but I'm sure it will get worse in the early hours of the morning. At the moment the sound seems to be coming from the North, slightly high in the sky.

If your interested in Earthquakes, check out this link. It's interesting.

www.gather.com...

I turned off the electricty once just to make sure it wasn't the electrics, but I could still hear the hum and was still feeling the vibrations at the time.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well, I'm quite frustrated, I have my recording equipment set up and nothing, not a sausage. Darnit.

I'll be up for a few hours yet though, so I will keep listening

update: it's 2:15am and I am getting nothing
I'll try again tomorrow.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by dogsounds]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join