It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery surrounds humming noise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Mystery surrounds humming noise

news.bbc.co.uk

A mysterious humming sound has kept people in a Suffolk town awake for the last seven weeks.

The hum, which has been heard in Sudbury overnight, has led to 50 people contacting Sudbury Town Council.

Lord Philips of Sudbury said: "If someone had said to me a spacecraft had landed on the meadows last night I would have said 'well I heard it'."

A council spokeswoman said Babergh District Council was attempting to identify the noise.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
liberalengland.blogspot.com

www.sudburytowncouncil.co.uk

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
well. another unexplained hum in the world....

anyone from the area here on ATS ??

snoopyuk

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Electromagnetism dont make any sound....

So its probably not a space craft.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

So its probably not a space craft.

So you have seen and are an expert on every kind of propulsion system involving Electromagnetism?
It could be anything.Let try and figure out what.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

well said,

i am of the belief that it is underground workings, rather that above ground EM.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Taos Hum

Reminds me of this.

All I know is, at one school I went to there was this piece of machinery that while it operated, it would slowoly create this resonating rumble. You would almost start to feel the air around you move in sync to the bass. Some people would get upset stomachs everyday from it.

Plate tectonics, ELF..?

The disintegration of larger meteors in the upper atmosphere is known to release megawatts of power in the audio frequency range, primarily through the interaction of the resulting ionization trail with the Earth's magnetic field.

Natures subwoofers?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

cool, i like the idea of natural subwoofers !!

i cert think it is more likely to be a local underground noise.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

It would be interesting for some one to isolate the frequency of the hum.
An oscilloscope would do the trick.

Say, doesn’t Derek Smalls live in that area? Bet he’s behind it.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Now electricity running through a railroad can do it, but yes crafts do give off a humming noise. Usually its when your senses are heightened you can hear them. At night is a perfect time. Less visual distractions means more auditory effects.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well there is generally less noise at night since nobody is driving around, so it is much easier to notice things like that.

Perhaps the sound is coming from some malfunctioning power cables.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Its there since 7 weeks ? Aliens left their engines on for too long I guess ?

LOL

A badly maintained and large transformer makes a lot of noise. And its low frequency hum mostly. So if they don't see anything visibly moving and causing noise, it must be either underground or a transformer.

I'm not 100% sure. But if someone can record that sound and view it on a wave editor, one could confirm if its power frequency.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

hello there rocksolidbrain,

OP here, when i made the thread there was a video on youtube that featured the sound , i was going to include it in the original post,

However when i try to click on it ,it says the video is not available to me in my country !! which is strange as it was made and uploaded by someone in the UK and i am at the moment in the UK.

i am hoping as more of the news agencies pick up the story there will be a recording made.

snoopyuk

[edit on 20-8-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
ok...here was the youtube video i was talking about:

www.google.com...

6th entry down.

YouTube - 'It is a high-pitched drone'20 Aug 2008 ... Community warden Bradley Smith was one of the first people to notice the "Sudbury hum". Added: August 20, 2008 (Less info) ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8niWAzXy8Rc&feature=user - 120k - 7 hours ago -

hopefully some one can access it.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Not entirely true. The effect of EM resonance on nearby conductive materials is known to create noise. As is arcing, a common result of high powered EM resonance.

Transformers with lose components are known to give off humming noises. It wouldn't surprise me if there's one with a component just lose enough, and operating at just the right frequency to rattle it at a rate worthy of putting out a high pitched hum.

Ever heard a CRT screen when it ages? Same effect. I have problems watching TV on old sets because of that horrible high pitched squeal, some can hear it, others don't even notice it. I unfortunately hear it all too clearly, and it's annoying.

My guess therefore, is that it's electrical equipment which needs some maintenance.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Funny how they never look into RF pollution creating all these cross over frequencies and subsequent audio harmonics. Can't have them brain cooking cellphone towers off the market though and people that hear hums can buy earplugs.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Funny how they never look into RF pollution creating all these cross over frequencies and subsequent audio harmonics. Can't have them brain cooking cellphone towers off the market though and people that hear hums can buy earplugs.

hi there,

that is not actually true,

the reason i posted this thread is ,i have both a personal and professional reason for my interest in this incident.
part of my work is Rf freq`s and there crossover potentials. it is actually a big area of research, esp here in the UK as there is a LOT of freq`s for such a small isle.

take care
snoopyuk
snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Yes, it's actually true and also known as the Frey Effect and this phenom is now being exploited to create non-lethal weapons. So keep researching and maybe one day you will become knowledgeable in the field. Then you can bump heads with the establish status quo with your new found skills and they can tell you to wear ear plugs or get used to it.

Next week humanity discovers it can't tame the chaos effect of a fallible corporatocracy...lol

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I bet you this is caused by windfarms

Are there any nearby?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Maybe it is the millitary drilling an underground passage-way or tunnel. When i realized that that is what they do... i started thinking that all that underground drilling may sound like a hum on the surface.... just a thought

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

hello there rocksolidbrain,

OP here, when i made the thread there was a video on youtube that featured the sound , i was going to include it in the original post,

However when i try to click on it ,it says the video is not available to me in my country !! which is strange as it was made and uploaded by someone in the UK and i am at the moment in the UK.

Try posting to veoh.com instead. They're less anal about censorship, allow a higher resolution and longer videos, and use a peer-to-peer network for distribution which makes them more difficult to filter and faster. Interested parties can also download videos that you uploaded instead of just viewing them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join