It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest man for photographing them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Police arrest man for photographing them

www.metro.co.uk

When he photographed the police van outside a Bristol fish and chip shop, PC Aqil Farooq told him he was under arrest for assault, resisting arrest and being drunk and disorderly.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am not aware of the reputation of this source in Great Britain, but it seemed a relevant example of the degradation of rights and the abuse of police authority some have been mentioning in recent times.

Most notably, I should point out:

He was also forced to give a sample of his DNA and had his fingerpints [sic] taken. After his release he spent a week on bail before he was he told he would not be charged.

Now, having your DNA 'sampled' and cataloged seems over-the-top to me, considering there were to be no charges filed. Of course, if the officers were in fact in the wrong, they wouldn't want to file charges, would they?

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Metro is a London based paper. In my experience it is far more worth reading than some of the more well known rags.

As for this incident, I can't say as I am shocked. the Bacon have a major weed up their backsides about being filmed, photo'd, etc etc.

If only the man had seen this, he maybe could have stood up to the cop:

As for the DNA stuff, what can I say, yet another civillian violated by the Police State. It will get more and more frequent, just you watch.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Terran Blue

Thanks for the link; what a shame. It's no different here in many areas. Police, and other 'officials' seem to think that they can intimidate anyone into believing whatever they want the law to be as it is convenient for them.

I fear someday they will get that authority.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What a crazy vid TB.If that happened to me here in ca who knows what would have happened.Bravo to this man and i think many would benefit from seeing this. It wreaks of totaltarianism.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Incidences like these will become far more common and will no doubt escalate into regular violent encounters, what with the situation moving forward at it's current rate. Citizens ignorant of the law is one thing, but the enforcers of the law having absolutely no idea of what the concept of liberty entails results is an extremely dangerous situation for all and will be a defining characteristic of the police state.

The scenes below are not taken in North Korea or China.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Spreadthetruth

A good vid Spread, showing yet another Clueless Copper enforcing their own version of the law.

I would like to highlight as well the info from the guy at the National Union of Journalists. Filming in a public place IS NOT ILLEGAL.

Know the law, or be abused by the law.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
That brings up a good point TB.Especially considering that first vid there,I'm not sure if these cops even know the laws.

It shows that these cops are acting upon an assumption that they should be allowed to tell someone that they must stop filming in their presence.That brings up a few points about this that make me wonder.

Why do these cops feel the need to do this?.Aswell why arnt they learning about laws dealing with this sort of thing if they are trying to enforce them?

[edit on 22-8-2008 by toraylin]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by toraylin

To be frank, I think alot of them rely on public ignorance of the law as well to be able to enforce 'laws' on them. Ignorance of the law allows the police to intimidate.

Note in that vid the rentacop tells the guy to shut up.... guarantee if the guy had told HIM to shut up all hell would have broken loose.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

That's it, I'm moving to England! I've never seen a cop back off when they were proven wrong.

If that chap had done that here in the States he'd have gotten his knickers twisted for him. In other words, they would have tased him, beat him, possibly shot him, destroyed the camera, and charged him with at least one felony to go with a list of misdemeanors and violations.

Not an exaggeration. Especially when he told them "no, I won't turn the camera off." That would have been lights out right there.

EDIT to add: Word of caution to you Brits who come to the States, there are public places here in the "land of the free" where it is indeed illegal to film. It amazes me that we won our freedom from you only to end up worse off in the quest for liberty.

I saw a woman arrested last year for taking pictures of her boyfriend down by the river, because there was a bridge in the backround.

[edit on 8/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Any british or irish here know off a show on Sky one called "road wars"
Its just a british version of the famous show, cops.
the camera crew follow around police filming them catching evil doers and the likes
80% of the people that are caught on the show do not want to be filmed and shout and the police and camera crew to stop filming them, and in some cases it makes the situation a lot worse
And what is the polices response?
"Sir, this is public property he can film where he likes"
So if a camera crew can follow around police and videotape some peoples most embarssing moments and broadcast them on television , what is wrong with this?
Its because the camera crew are on the polices side and only show the police doing "the right things" and such
It annoys me greatly that this can happen
And whats worse is that in this case the police where legally wrong, in every sense
There is no justfication at all ,Hopfully some good will come from this and police will relise they cant do what they want when they want just because they have a badge

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
during the years i was studying media,
we where told that you may film anything you want in a public space ,
but if your gonna focus the filming or photografy on one person or event you should ask for promission ,

in short:
indirect filming of persons on public property is alowed
but as soon as you focus or directly film/photograf someone you should ask for promission.

its a moral paradox

but you have the right not to be filmed / photografed
and at the same time you have the right to film or photograf

id say the real question is why do police ask you not to film ?

ps i thank the us for world wide paranoia

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
So if the cops have a problem with people video taping them while they are in public ..then why are they putting up cams everywhere in public to watch us all while we are mulling around in public... ...I say kudos to this guy ....turn about is fair play isnt it ?

wanted to make sure this wasn't a oneliner
I noticed that it is forbidden here lol ....

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Originally posted by Maxmars

Police, and other 'officials' seem to think that they can intimidate anyone into believing whatever they want the law to be as it is convenient for them.

WOW, MAX- A post that has your usual intelligence & accuracy, that is
short and easy for a Marine like myself to read!

Thanks, STAR & FLAG!

I cannot agree more! Don't know how many times YOU'VE been arrested,
but I'VE been there dozens of times! And for alot less than a simple photo!

UK, USA, Wherever, these God-darned au6th6or6ities are all starting to
look the same to me! They use force to get their way; yet they've out-
lawed any form of resistance to their totalitarian, NWO agenda!

God help you if you resist;

God help us ALL, if you (we) don't!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Originally posted by jackinthebox

If that chap had done that here in the States he'd have gotten his knickers twisted for him. In other words, they would have tased him, beat him, possibly shot him, destroyed the camera, and charged him with at least one felony to go with a list of misdemeanors and violations.

Exactly right, jack- STAR!

Don't forget they'd put him on the news as a freak, or terrorist!

Good warning to anyone who thinks America is the land of the free, & the
home of the brave...

That was a long time ago. NOW, we're the land of the scardy-cat, and the
home of the compliant! (Not all of us, just most)!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Except...they aren't policemen. They are PCSO's, and while they look and dress like police, they most certainly aren't. They don't have the same rights or powers as Police do.

I'm interested in the follow up to that though - does anyone know the history of it? I would assume there would have been some disciplinary action taken because the guy filming comes across as someone who would have chased it up.

Anyone know any more about it?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

join