It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever get tired of it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I believe there are ETs visiting earth, I really do.

But for some reason my interest in visiting the threads in this part of the board is pretty much gone. Compared to when I first found ATS (which isnt really THAT long ago), I just couldnt get enough of reading about it. I could spend all day and night doing it.

Then suddenly, I just stopped clicking on the threads.

I just dont see the point.

Hoaxes, "its CGI - no its not!" and so on.

There is simply no real satisfaction, I already know theyre here.

Its pretty much like im waiting for a UFO to come through my roof with a drunk grey coming out, asking for some water with sugar then passing out on my couch.

Oh well, you get the point.

Am I just asking too much?

Or do some of you get tired of the subject too?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm in that mode of thinking also. I'm getting really tired of trudging through the web searching for information, images and videos only to find 95% are the products of overactive imaginations, hoaxers and attention seekers. The hope and empty promises can drive you mad. People happily fire around truth like its nothing. For all the people laughing and having fun with this stuff, I'm proud to be standing on the other side listening to everything, believing in nothing and being as prepared as I can for every possibility. You're not alone darksky.

Th9nker

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, you're not alone, that's for sure.

The problem with us, believers, is that: we fail to KNOW and keep on BELIEVING.

We all keep on HOPING that something out-of-this-world happens one day, the way we want them to happen...

Adding to that, we have all the other side, pushing to a give-me-some-proof debate.... and instead of actually work to satisfy OUR needs to know, we try to satisfy the others need to have proof (what ever that may be).

The thing is: for someone who believes, no proof is necessary. For someone who does not believe, all proof is not enough.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I get like that, but in stages. I think I might be on some sort of Martian cycle!? Earlier this year I was all exited about the helicopter chase in South Wales, a sighting in Brecon, Shropshire MOD reports etc. It was as if we were gearing up to something big, with big sightings from credible witnessess. Then it kinda dies off a bit. At the moment, I'm mid-cycle. I still think something big could happen, but won't be surprised if it doesn't. At the end of the day though, I know there will be more exiting pictures, sightings, news and threads in the future. I also know they are out there ...... I just want everyone else to know, too! Chin-up old bean! ;-)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I hear you all and agree but IMHO what you all need to do is just finely adjust your BS detectors and switch off. Don't take it hook line and sinker through the need to believe. Don't let that need hamper your critical thinking.

The proof falls squarely on those making the claims. Reserve your judgment before making that leap of faith... Before reasonable proof is supplied. Don't be anyones fool! .. and to use an old saying as a colorful metaphor, "don't take candy from strangers".

IRM

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksky
I believe there are ETs visiting earth, I really do.

But for some reason my interest in visiting the threads in this part of the board is pretty much gone. Compared to when I first found ATS (which isnt really THAT long ago), I just couldnt get enough of reading about it. I could spend all day and night doing it.

Then suddenly, I just stopped clicking on the threads.

I just dont see the point.

Hoaxes, "its CGI - no its not!" and so on.

There is simply no real satisfaction, I already know theyre here.

Its pretty much like im waiting for a UFO to come through my roof with a drunk grey coming out, asking for some water with sugar then passing out on my couch.

Oh well, you get the point.

Am I just asking too much?

Or do some of you get tired of the subject too?

i agree..it's like the first time you see the effiel tower, it's friggin' amazing. butafter spending a week around it, you say to yourself "ok, now what" and after living in paris for awhile, you end up just glancing at it every now and then.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Thanks for your answers, they helped me look at this from some other
points of view, also glad to hear im not alone about this

As for the famous detector, Its really been evolving during all reading,
it took a while though. But I guess thats what you have to go
through being new to this.

The problem is the BS detector is on an all time high and has been since I realized I most likely will get disappointed if I get into something.
So basically, I ignore the threads because I assume its the same
ol hoax or CGI discussion or something really interesting that
just fades away. You know, you plow through a huge thread, get your hopes up a little bit, the BS detector calms down, and then.............. thread dead.

I just dont understand how to keep yourself motivated to keep
reading and plough through all the BS.

ZZmmmmhh, more sugar.. cheers!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Its the same tactics used on Fox News. You keep someone arguing about weather or not its a air balloon for like forever, and nobody makes any progress which is exactly what they want.

So no, I dont engage in discussions, its a waste of time. I trust my own ability to judge information. If it moves at speeds impossible for a airplane while at the same time make deadly turns which would kill a human at that speed, you know its a UFO.

Besides, everyone is so focused on the single events instead of taking into consideration if it really is likely that all UFO sightings are just airplanes, air balloons, birds or optical illusions. To me, its definitely not likely at all.

You will always hear some explanation for it though. Who can prove something you see is NOT a optical illusion?

In the end, its up to you.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by darksky

Yes I am tired of it just like you are. There is so much garbage posted on youtube and the rest of the net that I just don't bother looking at it anymore.

Even if a real alien was captured on video there would be just no way to prove it was real. Most people have been programmed to think alien life is a joke so that any video real or not is instantly debunked. So there is no real point in arguing about it. Even if an alien landed a spaceship on the whitehouse lawn and held a press conference there would be people coming out to debunk it. Oh that is just an actor in a rubber suit. The spaceship is really just a modified airplane made to look like a UFO...etc.

I think the only way most people will believe is if they meet an alien in person.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Congratulations! I know it hasn't been easy, but you toughed it out in the UFO field long enough to figure out that it is filled with a tedious, repetitive mix of annoying people, dumb theories, lousy data, bad logic, scams, hoaxes, delusions, and just about everything but good, hard proof of anything at all.

In recognition of your efforts, please accept this Certificate, suitable for both framing or wrapping fish. You've earned it!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I understand where you are coming from. There are many days when I open up the forums only to see that there seems to be nothing new. It is frustrating but I have not given up.. I drudge through the muck in the bleak hope that sooner or later something substantial will appear.

In the meantime I do my best to help reduce the amount of repetitiveness and continually expose well known objects that are not UFO's but very much Identifiable objects that have been discussed over and over again.

I have to admit there are days when I wish we would just close the valve on new members but without new people then we just have the same info from the same people.

*sigh*

Oh ya.. I understand where you are coming from.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

That is rich, nohup! You have me wiping tears of hilarity off my face...

--

But to the OP, hang in there! As you can see, you've got some good people in the same boat as you. Keep persevering through the muck with us and you will eventually be rewarded with some form of enlightenment, as your recent realization shows.

My favorite Author (obviously *points to his avatar and sig*), the late and beloved Arthur C. Clarke once said,

"I can never look now at the Milky Way without wondering from which of those banked clouds of stars the emissaries are coming. If you will pardon so commonplace a simile, we have set off the fire alarm and have nothing to do but to wait. I do not think we will have to wait for long"

Like so many of his thoughts that mirror my own, one of these days, I hope they at least stop by and say hello.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would like to take this opportunity, as one of your resident scathing skeptics, to THANK YOU for creating a thread that is logical, well-constructed, and frankly honest.

I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to read believers who admit that proof is necessary, that all the hoaxes and obnoxious claims are tiresome, and that, above all, it is quite disheartening to wade through the sea of what's out there looking for one good gem.

Well said, OP.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Thank you for a great laugh mate

If I had a printer the certificate would already be hanging on my wall!

Now, being a newb, im trying to hear some opinions. I hope thats okay with the more educated members as yourself, and I also hope I can make you feel better about yourself by showing my stupidity

So please, if somebody else feel the same way I do, contribute to the thread and Nohup will provide you with a nice certificate!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i am intersted about ufo/alien subject from about 15 years and i am bored and tired as well.I read dozens of book about the matter and thousands of forum threads.
At a certain point you stop and ask yourself:what the hell is going on?
ON this subject there is nothing SURE and CLEAR ,the only one truth in my opinion about the UFO'S is that it's happenign something out there and that the government "maybe" knows more than we do , but as i said before nothing is CERTAIN on this subject.
Personally i quicky get bored about reading threads here then after few months something in my mind will say me to get back again and investigate a bit but then i'll realize that nothing has changed,the same topics,the same footages and no any REAL PROOF AT ALL.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by umbracode]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksky

I just wanted to point that out!
that's hilarious!

I kind of agree with what you're saying. I'm sure they exist too; it could have to do with the fact that you realize this and hearing what others have to say/debunk about it is just tiresome, y'know?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Congratulations! I know it hasn't been easy, but you toughed it out in the UFO field long enough to figure out that it is filled with a tedious, repetitive mix of annoying people, dumb theories, lousy data, bad logic, scams, hoaxes, delusions, and just about everything but good, hard proof of anything at all.

In recognition of your efforts, please accept this Certificate, suitable for both framing or wrapping fish. You've earned it!

Now thats pure genius.

I forgot when I laughed so hard last time. Thankssss...

I must agree 100% with you. When you dabble for a year or so in this subject, you slowly but surely get the idea that the same wine is being filled in new bottles and is being served again and again. Thats true for any of those 'out-there' subjects. Most of the time its a study in psychology of sheeple ...

But fortunately, in ufo field, you will find a gem here and there, which really compels you to sit and think and to see the worth of it.

I used to get angry at the hoaxers and liars etc , when I arrived here, but after the drone hoax I felt just 'defeated' and accepted that this is our destiny, it will continue no matter what. So these days I quietly surf around and avoid those threads that are too lowly to post into (such as mars and moon rocks )and generally try to educate everyone.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by darksky

I agree with you, I authored a few old threads that touch on issues like this...

Advancements in UFOlogy

and

UFO Photos are a complete waste of time

That goes for video too.

but... I would advise this...

Once you have that belief, explore that outside of forums like this one. There are circular issues involved when you discuss your viewpoint with both believers and skeptics alike and it's a mind trap.

Read books, meditate, know thyself and explore spiritual matters as you will progress further and quicker if you focus on yourself rather than involve too many others, it's a road to nowhere and probable confusion and insanity otherwise.

Good luck, you have completed level 1.

To Nohup.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
The problem with us, believers, is that: we fail to KNOW and keep on BELIEVING.

Where is the separation point between believing and knowing? If you believe, you know. Even if you're wrong. If you doubt, you don't believe, or do you? Plenty people know plenty and they don't know they are wrong, they still think they know. If you believe, what do you need proof for, haven't you had it? or you wouldn't believe. or would you?

Just sayin'

The thing is: for someone who believes, no proof is necessary. For someone who does not believe, all proof is not enough.

I wish people would stop screwing up my signature. grrr.

EDIT: speeling.

[edit on 21/8/08 by Prote]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the comment and questions...

Originally posted by Prote
Where is the separation point between believing and knowing?

The believing happens in the mind, the knowing - in the context of my sentence - happens somewhere else...

If you believe, you know. Even if you're wrong.

...well, if you're wrong, then you just BELIEVED you really knew, right?

I wish people would stop screwing up my signature. grrr.

sorry, I didn't mean that, specially because I just kind of translated (from portugues) that sentence from a bit of a speech I heard from a catholic priest in my town many years ago...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join