It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed 85-year-old woman makes intruder call cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

hosted.ap.org

An 85-year-old woman boldly went for her gun and busted a would-be burglar inside her home, then forced him to call police while she kept him in her sights, police said. "I just walked right on past him to the bedroom and got my gun," Leda Smith said.

Smith heard someone break into her home Sunday afternoon and grabbed the .22-caliber revolver she had been keeping by her bed since a neighbor's home was burglarized a few weeks ago.

"I said 'What are you doing in my house?' He just kept saying he didn't do it," Smith said.

After the 17-year-old boy called 911, Smith kept holding the gun on him until state police arrived at her home in Springhill Township, about 45 miles south of Pittsburgh.

The boy will be charged with attempted burglary and related offenses in juvenile court, Trooper Christian Lieberum said. He was not identified because of his age.

"It was exciting," Smith said. "I just hope I broke up the (burglary) ring because they have been hitting a lot of places around here."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
In a way she was lucky, because the intruder let her just walk past him - although he probably didn't realise she was getting a gun.

I admire not only the courage of this woman, but also the fact that she showed restraint and didn't just start blasting once she had her gun, instead, making the intruder call 911 whilst keeping the gun on him.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It's not my intention to derail the thread, but if the elderly woman didn't have access to the gun, it would have turned out a lot differently. As we've seen.

Edit: Link error.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Except that what you're talking about was an ambush and the woman had absolutely NO CHANCE of defending herself, armed or not.

Back to the woman who held the intruder at gunpoint, I've seen threads on here praising people for shooting someone in the back - this woman did exactly the RIGHT thing in not shooting the burglar.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Back to the woman who held the intruder at gunpoint, I've seen threads on here praising people for shooting someone in the back - this woman did exactly the RIGHT thing in not shooting the burglar.

Yes, yes a hundred times yes! This is the problem with the gun-nuts - they are just looking for an excuse to end human life! They don't care, they just want to shoot someone and be like the action hero in a movie.

Someone should tell them that fat Texans are never action heroes.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Equalization is sometimes the best defense for those who cannot aptly defend themselves. And I agree with the second point. If you're not in immediate or even potential danger, there is no reason to use force. Not in any situation should you go blasting away, taking lives. Nonsense.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is a great example for the defense of gun ownership AND for proper use of force. They should show this video at police academies for training their troops.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Yes, yes a hundred times yes! This is the problem with the gun-nuts - they are just looking for an excuse to end human life! They don't care, they just want to shoot someone and be like the action hero in a movie.

Someone should tell them that fat Texans are never action heroes.

Wow, just wow......I am really hoping your post was sarcasm.

In my opinion, the issue with the "gun nuts" as you call them is that they like to protect themselves and their property. Most of the time if you don't commit a crime the chances of being shot or having a gun pointed at you are reduced dramatically

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Anjin]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Topic already exists,

I caught it yesterday.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Different forum mate

I can ask for this one to be closed though.

Let me know

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Topic already exists and was moved from Breaking Alternative News to Breaking General News. See already ongoing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join