It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object filmed moving near the moon 19/08/08 multiple witnesses

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnbaudio

Originally posted by ngchunter
Notice how much lower than the moon the light gets in the video? The moon could not be that yellow while being that high up unless there were some kind of heavy particulate in the area like smoke. In either case it couldn't be low on the horizon, therefore we can not assume that the light is "outside the atmosphere" just based on the color. As I mentioned before, it's probably that color due to poor white balance in the camera.

We already had a poster mention dust from volcanic activity.

Impossible. This is florida and I can personally vouch for there being no volcanic dust right now, just saying it's the only possible reason aside from white balance.

And, we don't have any points of reference for the "height-above-horizon", so we have to take his word on it,

We have the distance between the point of light and the moon as well as the diameter of the moon itself to establish a minimum height, so I'm sorry but you're quite wrong about that.

that the white balance is normal. I've never had a digital camera swing into a strange color, EVER.

It happens all the time. Am I going to have to break out my camera and demonstrate? I can later if you still want proof. Here's some second hand info for now. Cheaper cameras whose only point of reference is the moon and a black sky often have a hard time figuring out where to automatically set the balance. I used to fight with my old point and shoot camera when doing astrophotography (especially in video mode) until I upgraded.
www.cambridgeincolour.com...

Did you read my above thread? IT'S BRIGHTER THAN THE MOON!!! Nothing does that, really.

Wrong and wrong. It's a point light source as far as the camera is concerned whereas the moon is not. To measure the moon's total brightness you have to account for the entire surface area of the moon spreading out the moon's light. You did not do that. And things like aircraft landing lights can be quite a bit brighter than the moon anyway.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

The footage was actually shot on Aug 16th. There was a partial eclipse of the moon that night, which made the moon appear orange to copper colored.
The light shown was seen by multiple persons watching the partial eclipse in several different locations.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnbaudio
Furthermore, since I viewed this video, I cannot even access YouTube OR Google ANYTHING... GOOGLE IS DOWN! That never happens, they have thousands of backup systems. THEY SHUT IT DOWN.

wow....

I'm not having any problems. And people think I'm paranoid...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn
reply to post by tarifa37

The footage was actually shot on Aug 16th. There was a partial eclipse of the moon that night, which made the moon appear orange to copper colored.

No, it didn't, not from florida anyway. This was lake wales florida, and there was no eclipse visible from lake wales florida on the 16th - it had finished by the time the moon rose in florida.

The light shown was seen by multiple persons watching the partial eclipse in several different locations.

They must have been seeing something else because the partial eclipse occured before the moon even rose over florida. In fact, they were no doubt seeing jupiter, which was bright and near the moon in the sky during the night of the eclipse.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Notice that the light's relative distance from the moon never changes. Zoom explains the absolute distance change. This indicates a stationary source, such as a celestial object.

A bit of camera rotation creates the "orbiting" effect. A cloud then obscures Jupiter allowing the "disappearance" at the end of the video.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by eaglewingz]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Watch Former Canadian Defense Minister Paul Hellyer on youtube:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
Notice that the light's relative distance from the moon never changes. Zoom explains the absolute distance change. This indicates a stationary source, such as a celestial object.

A bit of camera rotation creates the "orbiting" effect. A cloud then obscures Jupiter allowing the "disappearance" at the end of the video.

I can see all that you have discribed but the disappeatance effect. Can some filter be applied to see if is a cloud or treeline that obscures the object. If he was turning the camera, he was able to keep the rotating effect constant. Would that not be hard for free hand filming?
K.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by eaglewingz]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
It looks like the object was aligning itself, perhaps using some type of gravitational assist from the moon. Then accelerating out.

Atmospheric effects with the curvature of the earth could explain the orange moon.

maybe its harry stanton an his team of asteroid drillers from the movie armageddon?

Or maybe it is an alien race. Not to self promote too early, but im currently in early production of a CG movie of about aliens. Without giving it away, ill just say it will be very cool.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
To the people saying that doesn't look like the moon. About 2-3 days ago we had a full moon in Idaho it was 5am the moon was above the western horizon and was orange just like in the video. So yes it's the moon in my book.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I stand corrected and humbled. Kudos to you for your keen eyes and ears.
The video appears to be of the partial lunar eclipse shot on Aug 16.
The moon shown is at the end of this event and is the reason for the dim orange to copper color and you will notice it returns to near normal color by sequence end. This light beside the moon was witnessed by multiple people from several locations and reported. It was said to appear to orbit the moon and perhaps to be a satellite. Although I do not recall Florida being mentioned in the original reports of this event, I seem to recall the reports coming from Iraq.
I've listened to the audio portion of this OP's YouTube and do hear them say Florida in the audio track. I also hear them say at the end that the UFO disappears for the final time. Unless it is just a misuse of the language, it would seem to indicate a post production audio dup.
Perhaps the person who post dubbed the audio track is in Florida, at band camp, which might also explain the excitement

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Could the object possibly be a geostationary satellite in orbit around the earth ?

These satellites usually sit around 22-30,000.00 miles from earth on the equator.

This one satellite could be at just the right angle and what we are seeing are the suns reflections off it’s solar array.

And the reason the object disappeared is because it went behind the earths shadow as the earth moved in orbit around the sun.

That is my guess otherwise we just witnessed something special...

Anyway it sure sounded like they were having a really good time in Florida!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This thing is high in the air (see astronomical data). There are no mountains in Florida. Forget car lights (too high), reflections (Maybe a blimp would reflect enough light to be that bright in comparison to the moon), swamp gas (too high)....volcanoes? Really? Check google news for recent volcanic activity.

It *looks* like a military flair.

1. Appearance. Bright and amber in color.
2. Movement.. Military flairs are carried by small parachutes.
3. Duration. Military flairs are aloft for several minutes and carried by the wind.
4. Disappearance. Military flairs fade out pretty quick once the fuel is spent. They don't land on the ground still hot to prevent forest fires.

Just go look at youtube videos of military flairs. You'll see the same thing here in this video.

There are two problems with this though.

1. There are no military bases nearby (closest being in Jacksonville, I think.)
2. If you see one military flair, you usually see several. It is likely the narrator in the video saw two of them in succession.

It is unlikely to be a flair from a military flair gun because of the location. Maybe some civilian or off-duty GI shot a couple in the air for kicks, who knows. Other than that, it would have to be flairs release from a military aircraft.

Look, I've seen some really convincing videos...but this just isn't one of them. If something like that was really orbiting the moon, it would have to be the size of Alaska to reflect that much light.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn
reply to post by ngchunter

This light beside the moon was witnessed by multiple people from several locations and reported. It was said to appear to orbit the moon and perhaps to be a satellite. Although I do not recall Florida being mentioned in the original reports of this event, I seem to recall the reports coming from Iraq.

I have not heard any other reports talking about a light near the moon appearing to circle the moon as seen during the eclipse earlier that day, and in fact photography of the event does not show anything unusual.
www.phys.ncku.edu.tw...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by osiris0789

1. There are no military bases nearby (closest being in Jacksonville, I think.)

Good points but I think you mean "flare" (not a nitpick, it honestly confused me at first, I thought you were suggesting it was some kind of unusual military craft showing off as in "flair") and there is MacDill AFB in Tampa relatively nearby. I occasionally see blackhawks headed to and from MacDill from as far south as Sarasota.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This will be a first for me, actually arguing in favor of the posted evidence, so if I'm rusty at it, you know why

I don't doubt the authenticity of the clip at all. To those questioning why the narrator stated the object disappeared for a final time, consider the fact that he stated just prior to that that he was getting ready to shut the camera off. His comment merely reflects the fact that the filming was coming to an end.

To those asking about why they were freaking out: they're kids, for God's sake. Kids giggle and shout over anything.

I'm including a blow-up of 2 different frames of the video for comparison's sake regarding some suggestions that the absolute distance between the object and the moon remains the same, and only appears to vary based upon camera zoom. You'll have to open the image up to see the full comparison; I'd shrink it down to fit on screen, but at this size it's easier to compare sizes.

Both frames are original screen shots of the video, magnified x8.

While this obviously isn't rigorously scientific, the size of the moon in both frames is close to being the same, so I don't think zoom accounts for the difference in distances between the moon and the object.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by thrashee]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well it's obvious that it was a lunar eclipse, 16th aug I was at a wedding and noticed the eclipse, well it would have been the 17th (4am) and that was in Denmark, and we don't have any volcanoes or swamps right in our backyard. The light however, boggles my mind. I've seen something similar once a few months ago. It couldn't have been a plane, not without the dual red/blue light on the wings. It appeared just like a star moving slowly across the sky. No doubt that it could have been a satellite og something similar, but later having read about all the "moving" stars, I'm beginning to wonder myself...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well it's obvious that it was a lunar eclipse, 16th aug I was at a wedding and noticed the eclipse, well it would have been the 17th (4am) and that was in Denmark, and we don't have any volcanoes or swamps right in our backyard. The light however, boggles my mind. I've seen something similar once a few months ago. It couldn't have been a plane, not without the dual red/blue light on the wings. It appeared just like a star moving slowly across the sky. No doubt that it could have been a satellite og something similar, but later having read about all the "moving" stars, I'm beginning to wonder myself...

signed on just for this thread

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazidy
Well it's obvious that it was a lunar eclipse, 16th aug I was at a wedding and noticed the eclipse, well it would have been the 17th (4am) and that was in Denmark, and we don't have any volcanoes or swamps right in our backyard.

Well this video wasn't from denmark, it was from florida, and the entire US missed out on the fun this time around. You couldn't see the eclipse from florida because it was over by the time the moon rose. So either the videographer lied about his location (and if so, what else?) or the moon was not that color because of any eclipse. Here's a picture showing how quickly the moon brightens and loses its color as it rises during a full moon (as on the 16th, assuming that date is correct):
www.pixheaven.net...
Notice how in the course of a single lunar diameter it goes from slightly tinted to basically white. The terrain is a little uneven but it still gives a good idea of how low it is when it rises above most of the haze. Now all we need to do is measure the distance (in lunar diameters) between the point of light and the moon when it reaches its greatest distance from the moon to establish a minimum height above the horizon.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Even still, sure looks like the moon

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ok, I tracked the video, sped it all up 50x and added a couple of frames on top of each other and came up with this --->

filupload.dk... (Type in the security code shown on the left and click the download-tag)

The video is small in size (also the filesize ~ 120kb) but it demonstrates clearly (at least to me) that it probably is just a flare of some kind.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Jubjub]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join