It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object filmed moving near the moon 19/08/08 multiple witnesses

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

Well, the geostationary or the geosynchronous satellites are parked too high to be seen from earth (36,000 kilometers) and even if we can see, they will not be moving because they are synchronized with the rotation of the earth...

Granted, the object is not moving in a straight line, but it is not "orbiting"
the moon either - like someone had reported.

Further, in such images of the sky, we will not see the "depth" - meaning, objects that appear close together may actually be far apart. A satellite 250 miles up may appear passing close to the moon which is 240,000 miles away.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dj howls

We need to rule out Jupiter as it was higher up in the constellation Sagittarius (still is) when the moon was rising in the constellation Aquarius on 19th August..

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by watapi

Exactly. The object moves on, more or less, a straight path/trajectory. This is not indicative of an orbiting body.. And even if it was it would not move this quickly.. There is nothing that massive that is orbiting the moon because it would already be all over the papers..

I worked in munitions for the U.S. Air Force for over 6 years. Most aircraft launched flares from say a C-130 or an F-16 only last a few seconds. Some of the larger, longer-lasting parachuting flares like the LUU-1 or LUU-2 that are launched via an external pod can last as long as half an hour before burning out. But these flares are used to illuminate the ground and the targets on the ground.

There are some other problems with the flare idea.. Some of which are more noteworthy than others.

- These larger parachute flares create a smoke cloud that is very distinct. This flare would have been well-lit from moon in the background. Yet, no smoke-trail from the flare is being illuminated in any way in the video.

- Pilots in the U.S. dropping these flares would be dropping them for training purposes in an authorized range constructed for such a purpose. The Air Force civil engineers will occasionally relocate old trucks, humvees, and other old, warn-out military equipment to be used on these ranges for aircraft training and pilot recertification (it also gives other enlisted troops an opportunity for recertification in their training records like loaders and munitions line-delivery personnel). Military aircraft would not fly over the ocean and fire-off one flare for no apparent reason.

This object couldn't have been some kind of launching rocket either because the object travels downward, not upward.
That's why a couple days ago I posted the possibility of it being a rocket in mid-course flight traveling in the upper atmoshpere prior to dropping off it's payload.. Its one possibility..

THIS is the most recent rocket/missile launch I've seen on the U.S. Air Force Space Command's website..
It was launched August 13th though.. 6 days before the video was taken.

As far as the research I have done, these are the only 2 rockets that were launched on August 18th that I know of.

THIS one from Russia carrying a communications satellite and THIS one which was launched by Iran supposedly carrying a satellite (I think it turned out to be a dummy though).

I guess it COULD have been one of these... You never know. I'm not sure how likely it would be.

The way the object seems to "twinkle" as it disappears at the end of the video looks indicative of earth-lights. This twinkling as it disappears is very similar to what is in these videos when they begin to "fade-out".

-ChriS

[edit on 25-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2Faced
I heared on the news last night that there's a lot of dust in the atmosphere, I believe from a volcano, so that would explain the orange glow. Both the moon and the object apear orange, I think it is safe to asume that the object is outside earths atmosphere.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by 2Faced]

What we saw were maybe about 400 to 500 meters high and roughly 1 km away, no sound and moving at a constant speed in a North-East direction. Orange and no pulsating lights (red or white).

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by watapi

I am in agreement with the first two parts, but not the third, and not on technical grounds.

We (generally speaking) have to be careful not to put ourselves in a box. Even though it is true our eyes cannot perceive depth at such distances, we can feel the depth.

I once read an account by a very respected scientist, who while watching the zodiacal light, at once suddenly felt the immensity of the sky. The experience caused his knees to buckle, and sent him to the ground gasping for breath. Quickly enough, the feeling dissipated as his so-called normal senses reasserted themselves.

Herein is a possible explanation for Man's earliest experience of what he has come to call God. And further, herein is an extra sense, often overlooked because it is rare and indescribable. As far as reliability, it stands to be as good, if not better than, eyesight. What other option is there for the blind man but feeling?

If these teens, or young adults, were sharing some kind of feeling, something that cannot be conveyed by a video camera, their feeling is just as valid a valuable piece of information as the video is.

So, lets keep an open mind, and not box ourselves in, so that we may be able to study the event in its entirety.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I hate to say this but that looks like a weatherballoon reflecting moonglow instead of the sun.When they reflect the sun they look bright silver. just my opinion though and everyone does sound honestly excited.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
hey all, I've been speaking to the author of the clip and i think he is willing to come online to chat about the video, i will give him the link to this thread and keep my fingers crossed in the mean time!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreensGoblin
hey all, I've been speaking to the author of the clip and i think he is willing to come online to chat about the video, i will give him the link to this thread and keep my fingers crossed in the mean time!

That would be cool,be very interesting to hear his side of the event.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by tarifa37]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I guess he's never coming to talk to us about it

I hate it when that happens.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
(i just thought you should know... i sent this to "AVIMOAS")

Hi... thank you. I thought I would never see anything like it again and no one would believe me. But just so I may confirm could you please tell me or just confirm this... the object was "tumbling" as it was moving back in forth, around the circumference of the moon. the tumble effect I would describe as a fly, flying in the straightest line possible... adjust the view so the fly is flying directly towards you... it would look as if the fly is "tumbling" right? I hope it makes sense but around in March or April 2007, Southern California. I was driving back from a project up north. I was on the pacific coast hwy (PCH), a bit north of Malibu. I pulled over to relax a bit with the nice view of the ocean, bright full moon (full as from what I can see) and no city lights. As I was standing outside glazing at the moon I saw this other bright object. It was shaking, vibrating... "Tumbling". And from what I can see it was moving closer to the moon's surface and away... back and forth. And it was also moving along the circumference of the moon. Your video showed exactly what I saw except for one thing, the vibration of the object. Was the object you captured in your video vibrating also? Or was it moving "smoothly"?

(i'll let you know if i get confirmed.)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Haven't read all the posts so I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but, don't you guys think it's possible that someones rotating a camera in their hands while observing the moon and mars (they do cross paths quite often in our night sky).

??

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Some of you who havent seen a red or orange moon must be ALIENS

Im reporting you all to the Earth Defence Council

You guys seriously havent seen an orange moon?
Its exceptionally common, and I mean exceptionally, you will see loads of them every year. Its caused by light scattering as it comes through the atmosphere where some of the green blue spectrum is lost, so theres no reason that the moon color is suspicious. I have seen far bigger and closer orange moons than that.

When light (or more specifically, packets of light called photons) from an astronomical object passes through the Earth's atmosphere, it scatters off of particles in the latter. It turns out that these particles like to scatter blue light more than they do red light; so "bluer" photons (those with shorter wavelengths) tend to get scattered, and "redder" photons (those with longer wavelengths) pass through. So, astronomical objects look redder from Earth than they would from space, because the redder wavelengths from the objects penetrate the atmosphere better than the bluer ones. Incidentally, this is why the sky is blue: blue light from the Sun is scattered in all directions on its way to the Earth.

Anyway its very cool footage for sure, no idea what that is.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just touching base on this thread,and it seems it is going to be filed as unsolved at this time.Its a pity the video was of such low quality but even so has been very difficult to debunk and becomes one of the very few ufo sightings to still evoke such debate as to whether or not it is real.We may never know for sure but i would ask the guy who made this video if it was a prank well done ,how did you do it?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
well I did speak to the guy, he offered to put the videos up and I didn't hear any more from him, although I have a feeling he might have put them straight on his youtube account, he certainly didn't email as promised. Ah well, there's only so many times I can bug him before youtube shout at me. I haven't got time to look at his account now but I will in the morning.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
well I have heard several eyewitness testimony about the ORange Moon ... see here in Polk County we raise ORanges and we sort smiled and said its a good orange year... have a glass of Florida's Sun Shine at your neighborhood grocer ...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This case was one of my first threads and at the time proved hard to debunk. However after viewing again I think that they could be china lanterns. Back in 2008 they were virtually unheard of but with hindsight I think that is what they were so maybe cased finally solved. Here is the very interesting video again for your reference.

edit on 2-1-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure exactly what to make of this Unknown Object, very interesting video though.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It's a lantern, you see it flickering, then dying out, as pointed out, they were rarely seen in 2008, except at festivals, now they plague the skies!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow I wonder what that was in that video. that is a video that really looks real and not faked. Thanks for sharong that is was so neat. I wish i knew what the object was. and I wish i would have seen it for myself that owuld have been great!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TropicKandie
Wow I wonder what that was in that video. that is a video that really looks real and not faked. Thanks for sharong that is was so neat. I wish i knew what the object was. and I wish i would have seen it for myself that owuld have been great!

Consensus is that it was probably a Chinese lantern . As I said before virtually unheard of back in 2008 now there are flocks of them in the sky at every kids birthday.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join