It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China jumps Olympics air hurdle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

China jumps Olympics air hurdle

By Michael Bristow BBC News, Beijing

Blue sky above the Bird's Nest stadium on 15 August 2008
Pollution has not been the nuisance that some feared China has confirmed something that most people in Beijing for the Olympics already suspected - the city's air quality has been good. Environmental officials say pollution levels have met expected standards on every day of the Olympics so far. They say this is down to measures brought in to reduce emissions during the Olympics and Paralympics. But one pollution expert says Beijing has also benefited from favourable weather conditions. 'Effective measures' Du Shaozhong, of Beijing Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, said air quality had been good on every day in August.

Many people thought it would be [a problem], but the fact of the matter is that the concerns were unfounded Giselle Davies International Olympic Committee spokeswoman "We have had 100% compliance days in August and nine great single days."

Boon for residents

The BBC's own effort to monitor air quality during the Olympics confirms the Beijing government's upbeat assessment.

We have been measuring the levels of particulate matter - just one pollutant - in the atmosphere. According to our data, Beijing met the strictest WHO standard for particulate matter in six out of the first 11 days of the Games.
International Olympic Committee spokeswoman Giselle Davies said the IOC always believed Beijing would meet air quality targets. "Many people thought it would be [a problem], but the fact of the matter is that the concerns were unfounded," she said. Weather 'favourable' Independent air pollution expert Ivo Allegrini, in Beijing to monitor air quality during the Olympics, agreed China had managed to reduce pollutants. But he added that good weather conditions, such as rain, had also played a part. "Air pollution depends on a combination of the emitting source and the meteorological situation," said Mr Allegrini, of the Italian National Research Council. "Here in Beijing, we had favourable meteorological conditions coupled with some reduction of emissions."

beijing's weather is so clear and the air is fresh and clean every single day.so bad propaganda doesnt work when facing the reality.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Its been very foggy and humid but the air has been good. Beijing is near the coast so there is always a lot of fog around which journalist claim to be smog leading up to the games

Gebrselassie regrets opting out of marathon

EIJING, Aug 18 (Reuters) - Marathon world record-holder Haile Gebrselassie regrets pulling out of the 42-km race at the Olympics over fears that Beijing’s air pollution would damage his health.

“I’m surprised. What do you expect from me? I was here in February, I didn’t see no blue sky,” the Ethiopian runner told Reuters on Monday in China’s capital, where the sun was shining in a slightly hazy sky.

“Since I came here everything is perfect. They should tell us,” he added with a laugh.

Asked if he was now sorry not to be running in next Sunday’s marathon, he chuckled again and said: “Don’t push me. Yes.”

Gebrselassie, a 35-year-old who suffers from asthma, announced in March that he would not participate in the marathon and called on China to deal with Beijing’s pollution problem, saying it would be a hazard to athletes.

International Olympic Committee chief Jacques Rogge said last year that endurance events such as the marathon or long-distance cycling races could be rescheduled if efforts to clear Beijing’s polluted skies were unsuccessful.

As it turned out, the opening days of the Games were marred by smoggy skies but the weather has cleared for the second week.

“It’s really good for everybody, good for all … to keep such clean air, that’s fantastic,” Gebrselassie said.

Link

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
great weather,great olympics!so many world records have been broken in the swimmingpool and on the track.the joy is just like the lovely beijing's weather and blue sky.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Gebrselassie regrets opting out of marathon

surely he would,and he would rue the day.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
It's all happy happy joy joy. You deserve a promotion.

Except there wasn't a day in the first week where you could see 200 feet. How long have the factories been closed down now, a month? Longer? You should have shut down a week earlier it seems.

edit/ add photos

[edit on 8/20/2008 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

for how long. Oh Until after the games. Then go back to the same situation. Never mind. Keep smiling, happy face China. All is happy.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
every city has bad weather days,believe me,i have been to many cities around the world.we are talking about weather during the olympics,so your photoes taken during some bad days mean nothing to this topic.but during the olympics ,everyday is so clear and air is so clean,is that a pure coincidence?i really doubt it.and all chinese and foreign weather monitor experts proved that.read the article,you can not deny that.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
i was born and grew up in beijing,i know the weather here very well,people can not changed the weather,you must be too naive to think weather can be controlled.if you want photoes of other beautiful days of beijing other than just during this olympics,i have hundreds of them.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Impressive! Blue sky white cloudy in Beijing 2008 Olympic

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
why it was moved here?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

Are you a Chinese Communist?

I'm just asking you so as to clarify your perspective.

I understand if you are - it's not your fault.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
interesting article here from the world health organisation..

news.nationalgeographic.com...

url -news.nationalgeographic.com...

A World Health Organization (WHO) report estimates that diseases triggered by indoor and outdoor air pollution kill 656,000 Chinese citizens each year, and polluted drinking water kills another 95,600. (Related: "China's Pollution Leaving Mountains High and Dry, Study Finds" [March 8, 2007].)

honestly...i don't trust communists...

[edit on 21-8-2008 by adamclement]

[edit on 21-8-2008 by adamclement]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i am not a communist,communism is an dead end.china is on its way to do away with it.and watch that video,it is australian tv report,i dont think they are communists.as for people's health,chinese people's life expectancy is getting higher and higher every year.now is the highest among developing countries.beijing peoples life expectancy is over 80 years.higher than many developed countries.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Life Expectancy Country Comparison Table - Yahoo! Education
education.yahoo.com...
at the present growth speed,chinese people's life expectancy will overtake developed countries very soon.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

yes but the point is that it is all fake,

in the 2 weeks before the games they went around closing factories and stopping cars from driving,

also they spent a lot of time and money removing the pollution and algae from the water venues:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i would bet my house and car and all my belongings that after the games it will go back to being the most polluted place on the planet.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

are those official figures from the government or an independant source..?

sorry for the one line post but heh....

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

i would bet my house and car and all my belongings that after the games it will go back to being the most polluted place on the planet.

really, then you will lose everything,how many times have you been to beijing??if you have even faintest idea of this city you should know september and october are the best season in beijing and sky will be always sunny and clean,i got tons of photoes to show that,and i can take photoes everyday and put them here.

and the most polluted place on the planet can be found by un report.mexico city or something,but anyway you better give up your everything if you like to keep your promise.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

yes i have been to Bejing, in fact i have been to China 3 times in the last 4 years.
and did you even read the link i provided ??
it is a well known fact that it is a heavilly polluted city. and it is not the only one in China.

Linfen is the most polluted in China, ....The World Bank estimates that 16 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in China.

www.blacksmithinstitute.org...

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

Do you dispute your own government's claims?

Source

Beijing plans to control the number of vehicles on the road, suspend some earthwork projects and ask polluting enterprises to cut back on production to ensure clean air for the 2008 Olympic Games, environment and transportation officials said yesterday.

Source

... Municipal Bureau of Environmental Protection ... deputy director Du Shaozhong announced at a press conference on Tuesday that the air quality so far this month has been the best for this time of the year in previous 10 years. Last August had only two days of grade I or II quality.

Beijing municipal government said it had poured more than 140 billion yuan (20.5 billion U.S. dollars) since 1998 into more than 200 projects for improving the city's air quality.

In the run-up to the Games, the main host city implemented some drastic measures, such as the two-month vehicle control that would keep cars off the road on alternate days, to reduce pollution .

It's seems pretty clear to me that the Chinese government think they have improved air quality in Beijing.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
there are some measures taken by the government trying to improve the air quality,nobody denied that,but if you believe weather and air can be controlled ,you got to be kidding.

by the way,today is another great clear blue sky day in beijing,so wonderful,now beijing is entering the best season of the year.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join