It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Calling us YANKS!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

excuse me speak english too

Really? lol

do we call you guys names that designate where the hell your from, no, we don't

Are you serious? Just take a look at comments on youtube to see how your fellow countrymen treat other nationalities. I have even had a yank stoop so low as to use a phrase to abuse me over both my nationality and religion in a conversation

so what your saying is , unless we allow and produce english as its spoken in the UK to not bother talking with you , give me a break

Are you actually serious?
Firstly, I am not from the UK. Secondly, we have our own language and thirdly:
I clearly said that if you didn't like being called 'mate', then dont talk to people that use the word all the time. A thing that Brits do.

I just think being called mate sounds as good as me calling you
"good buddy" and if your from america you know that good buddy means
someone who is homosexual.

You go around calling each other 'dude' which means ' horses penis'. How come you dont like a word that means - pal, bro, friend.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
[edit on 20-8-2008 by Randy Echo]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

You go around calling each other 'dude' which means ' horses penis'. How come you dont like a word that means - pal, bro, friend.

It's funny. I never thought to say that we say some nasty crap too so maybe we should be complaining just yet.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Randy Echo

"that americans are generally all the same, you know , a yank!"

This is a pretty funny comment. You are essentially complaining that we are stereotyping all americans as being from america. Or at least thats how it looks from a UK point of view.

Personally i couldn't give 2 #'s what people call me as it reflects on their attitude and personal views more than it does mine.

Does Good Buddy really mean a homosexual friend? I never heard that before but i suppose its true what they say, everyday is a school day.

As for the throwing shrimps on the barbie and sucking tea, i guess you got our number!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Randy Echo
I absolutely despise being called a yank or mate, this is no way to address an American unless your looking for a fight,

Bring it on, anywhere.

we do not like it, it is derogatory and demeaning to us.

Why is it demeaning.
Anymore so than someone calling me a Limey or a Pom?
I assure you I take no offence at either.

Perhaps you would prefer the increasingly more common name for a Yank; ' Septic' ?

And how can calling someone 'mate' possibly be construed as insulting and offensive.
As others have stated it means friend, bud etc.

I really think you got to grow up, broaden your horizons and realise that the world doesn't revolve around you Yanks.
There's a big world out there, go and experience it.

Oh, and as for the poster who brought up WW2.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Been discussed so many times here.
First of all you disrespect the millions who died, from all countries.
You show a complete lack of understanding of history and an opinion that has been disproved on countless occassions.
You also display an amazing amount of ignorance and lack of class.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have to agree. Haven't we gone over the WW2 thing enough??

And it's fine if you don't like my stance Echo but frankly I find this terrible. We Americans as a whole have said a heck of alot worse to others. And again it sounds like you are speaking for all. You say being called a yank is a good way to get a fight going, for me it's a good way to get a good laugh.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
lol has anyone else noticed the OP has done nothing but add little animations the whole time? I like the Brits.... French are a different story...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I am American and will say right away that I dont mind the term yank or mate, it isnt even remotely offensive.

And as long as you all call us yank it makes it ok for me to use terms like frog and lymie and kraut and canuck, which I enjoy saying immensely.

The world is too politically correct as it is

Edit to add: Since when does "dude" mean horse penis? Bad news for the surfing and the stoner communities respectively...lol....I have to remind myself not to say that anymore.

[edit on 8/20/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Not to worry. I take no offense. Our european brothers know they would all be speaking German if it wasn't for us 'Yanks'. I wouldn't be so easily truffled.

And if it wasn't for "Brits"/Europeans you would too!

Credit where credit's due.

It's lucky british "rhyming slang" isn't more common and understood by americans......I think this rant would be a little more heated if some of us reffered to americans as "septic tanks"!

I also think "mate" is more of an australian thing! ...."g'day mate".

So I understand the word "yank" and would never use it except for derogatory use which hopefully won't happen here.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnoone1987
lol has anyone else noticed the OP has done nothing but add little animations the whole time? I like the Brits.... French are a different story...

Actually he did post comments, but he had a hissy fit and went on a editing spree replacing his comments with various emoticons and smilies.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marshall Ormus

Originally posted by Trustnoone1987

Actually he did post comments, but he had a hissy fit and went on a editing spree replacing his comments with various emoticons and smilies.

well guess i'd do the same to if i hadn't much relevent to offer..

out of curiosty i used the define function of google to see what exactly a yankee was.. please forgive my ignorance..

Noun

* S: (n) Yankee, Yank, Northerner (an American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War))
* S: (n) New Englander, Yankee (an American who lives in New England)
* S: (n) Yankee, Yank, Yankee-Doodle (an American (especially to non-Americans))

Adjective

* S: (adj) Yankee (used by Southerners for an inhabitant of a northern state in the United States (especially a Union soldier))

then due to more of my ignorance i had to define a new englander which gave me

S: (n) New England (a region of northeastern United States comprising Maine and New Hampshire and Vermont and Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Connecticut)

now OP at least now if you are not one of the above you can now issue cease and desist to any one who calls you a yank and be able to explain why you are not..

on the other hand if you do come under any of the above category i suggest you get used to it because although you may feel you are a yankee you may just be a self-glorified POM..

peace

daz__

ps: did you get all the points you hoped for in starting this dribbel

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Edit to add: Since when does "dude" mean horse penis? Bad news for the surfing and the stoner communities respectively...lol....I have to remind myself not to say that anymore.

"Dude
(1)Noun. Someone who is cool. The opposite of a dork.
(2)Excl. A greeting. Used with a close friend that is considered cool. ie. "Dude!"
Origins of this context word can be traced to California. It was originally used in reference to a horse's penis.
"

source

Game over for all the surfers lol

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Seriously Randy, don't be offended. Mate is a term for friend and heck, some southerners still use the word "Yank" or Yankee" when referring to northerners and they use it in a way that is way more offensive than when the British use it.

You need to lighten up, and seriously, what's with all the smiley posts?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ok i will refrain from antagonizing Randy Echo using my national colloquialisms. I'm Australian, you figure out what i mean

What i would like to do, however, is ask Randy Echo why you edited and deleted all your posts, basically removing yourself from the conversation? If you feel strongly on this issue then stand up for your beliefs and fight the good fight. Where else but on an Internet forum as anonymous posters can we stand up for what we believe in?

Who are we to tell you not to get upset at these terms?

The alternative is that you have realised there is no reason to be upset by these terms and you have since changed your thoughts, however, we see no evidence of this in the thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yank

Yank

Yank it

Yank

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'll stop calling you guys Yanks when you stop calling us Canucks

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
'Yank' would just kind of annoy me as I've rarely seen it used without some kind of sarcasm. 'Hollywood' would flat out piss me off. Lots of people out there just aching to stereotype me simply because I was born in America. And then everyone here irks me too on some level. I'll just stay inside the house.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join