It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new bug perhap's.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I was thinking today i saw a bug in the basement.

it has a body similar to a cockroach..stripped
but get this it has hind legs like a grasshopper.
and 8 leg's total.

has anyone seen such a thing before..

btw i saw like 40 of them..i even said wtf are those thing's..im 30+ years old and have never seen one of these bugg's.

i wasn't sure if it was a bugg that got crossbred ..like spider grasshopper roach...
like the platypus of bug's or something lol

if u think u know of the bug i am speaking of..post a pic..until i get a camera to photo one of these bad boy's lol

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Was it some sort of cave cricket perhaps? Spider grasshopper roach sounds like a fair description of one. Erg, looked twice... You said eight legs and I think Cave Crickets have 6. In fact, most of the crickets and grasshoppers I'm looking at have 6 legs. Look up cave cricket and mole cricket and see if it resembles one of those.
I used to have cave crickets in my basement, but never had a mole cricket before.
*added image and changed name of cricket from spider cricket to cave cricket*

[edit on 20-8-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
From your description, It sounds like a Solifuge, or Sun Spider, to me...

According to Wikipedia:

Solifugae is an order of Arachnida, containing more than 1,000 described species in about 140 genera. The name derives from Latin, and means those that flee from the sun. The order is also known by the names Solpugida, Solpugides, Solpugae, Galeodea and Mycetophorae. Their common names include camel spider, wind scorpion, sun scorpion and sun spider.

Solifugae are not true spiders, which are from a different order, Araneae. Like scorpions and harvestmen, they belong to a distinct arachnid order.

Hope this helps...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Eew, those pics are too big haha

Hey Beforetime, if these bugs are in your basement and there might be +44 of them could you take a pic and post it? Shouldn't be too hard.

But either way, sounds like a nasty looking bug. I would've freaked out, i got serious bug issues lol

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Why do people always assume they've discovered a new bug, whenever they see one they havent seen before?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

Bearve that is the dude in my basement lol

i never saw them before..i thought they had 8 leg's..but that is it right there..

case solved...ty'

dang yall are amazing * to you.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Why do people always assume they've discovered a new bug, whenever they see one they havent seen before?

becouse i am over 30 years old and never saw one a day in my life lol

heck i even showed one i put in a jar to a 80 year old man..he had no idea either.

so to me it was new lol

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

hey beforetime is this what you saw?

if so it's a pseudo scorpion. common in caves and damp cave like places.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I shouldn't have looked at this thread.....I really hate spiders. My advice is to nuke the house to take care of those things.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I missed the post where the op found out it was a cricket lol.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
reply to post by beaverg

Bearve that is the dude in my basement lol

I always knew them as wolf crickets. Very harmless, but high creepyness factor. I dont think they chirp like normal crickets, but you always find them in basements on the east coast.

[edit on 8/22/08 by Cyprex]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I used to see a lot of those 6 legged grasshoppers in a forest/bog near my home. Im not a big fan of bugs or spiders and when 3 jumped on me all at once ( I had just watched the"aracnipobia" movie the previous week....remember the scene when the spider jumps onto the camera lens?) I screamed like a little girl and seriously freaked out (im aracniphobic), and kept running and screaming, brushing off anything that could have been on me with such fervor, I wasn't watching where I was going and ended up falling into an irrigation ditch.

Anything with more than 4 legs is just wrong in my books.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Speaking of bugs, there's these weird wasp things digging holes in my yard. It's killing my grass and they seem to be immune to Raid. They have blue wings, and orange bodies. With a blue diamond on the back part. The legs connect to the thorax orange, but they're blue at about what you might call the knee all the way to the feet. Also, their antennae are red and orange striped. Never seen these before, and can't find anything even remotely like one at any website.

Help as to what they are and how to kill them would be much appreciated,
Cru

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Here's a few sites that may have the kind of wasp/hornet you are dealing with.
Wasp1
Wasp2
wasp3

hope those help

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
i have seen these bugs before and think they are prehistoric looking. i have heard the name of "potato bug". if you google potato bug i think you will find a lot about them. i do not think they are poisonous. but if bit, it hurts like hell. this is what i heard. i have never been bit. i have issues with anything with more legs than me.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I don't know if it's a new bug but, here's a few pics of an ugly little guy I saw just a minute ago.

Pretty creepy looking. It was only about an inch long but that didn't stop me from flapping my arms and screaming like a girl when it took off towards me.

I'm in Niantic, CT right now. I've never seen anything like it but then again, I'm 2000 miles from home. Any ideas.

top topics

join