It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i think im going to scream! (firefox)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
OMG!!!! This might belong in the rant forum, if so, please leave a copy here so i can find a solution.

I have the latest version of firefox.

I have windows vista blah blah blah

Im so sick and tired of when im working on a new thread, adn researching material for it

i'll occasionally click on a new link in a different tab only to have that link pop up in an EXISTING TAB totally deleting everything in my Work in progress thread creation....making me start all over again.

I was on 9000 characters of a 10000 character thread post, and i just #ing lost everything
i am so # # #ing # off that i can't see straight.

I've looked through the options for firefox.

I do not want firefox deciding for me which tab or window to open up a new link in.

I want them ALWAYS to open up in a NEW TAB or NEW WINDOW

its #ing bull # that it happens this way

PLEASE

help me figure out how to fix it.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
to further refine what im saying

firefox says link 1 opens in same window
and link 2 opens in _new window

when i click on link 1, i get the desired effect every time. It opens in the window im currently in, and doesnt over write anything. HEY works for me. This way i can have multiple tabs open at the EXACT same time without worry about it over riding MY authority and opening it somewhere i dont want it opened in

when i clikc on link 2 - i get the desired effect ONE TIME. Unless i close the new tab it was opened up in. Consequently - every new link that has _new is opened up in THIS same tab

Its so annoying

if i have it set to "open in new tab every time"

and i clikc on 16 different links - it should open up 16 different tabs

instead

it opens up all 16 different links in the same # # # #ing tab

if i have TWO windows open, and

window 1 has 3 tabs
window 2 has 1 tab

and i clikc on a _new link in window 2
it will open up that link in window 1 tab 2

i am at a loss for words as to why anyone would find this type of browser behavior favorable.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I tried finding a solution to this too, and I couldn't find one. I just got into the habit of right clicking on links and selecting Open Link in New Tab. It's become so automatic now I don't think of messing with an alternative.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

click on a link with the mouse scroll wheel button click instead of the actual mouse button, it will automatically open the link in a new tab.

also, it looks like you can
change the default configuration to fix this problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

click on a link with the mouse scroll wheel button click instead of the actual mouse button, it will automatically open the link in a new tab.

WORKS!!!!

THANK YOU !

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
OMG thats the solution I have been looking for as well. I feel your pain Andrew E. Wiggin, I really really do!

I hate having several tabs open and clicking a link just to get my post wiped out by the tab overwriting the tab I wanted open.

Great solution to the problem Anonymous ATS! You should join up

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Use IE7 and IE7Pro extensions plugin and enjoy a more seemless surfing experince

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Internet explorer is the devil reborn on earth.

I had more problems with that browser than any other

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Times change, although it's your preference, I use both IE for browsing and Firefox to fix any website issues and stop people who use firefox from moaning.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Apparently you have your problem fixed, but if you click the "back" button wouldn't Firefox show the page as it was before, without losing the text?

I ask because I rarely use Firefox, and with Opera, my main browser, if I am writing a post (like I am doing now) and I click on a link on this page, if I click the "back" button or use the mouse-gesture to go back, Opera returns me to the page exactly like it was when I moved to a new one, with all the text I had.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It will put you back to the page as it was except the text will all be gone. Which is mighty frustrating when you post a long post. Especially a debate, when your in a debate and your writing in this box (which I don't recommend) then loosing your post is like a nightmare.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

OK, I didn't knew that.

One more point in favour of Opera, the best browser for doing real work online.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Usually I sing the praises of firefox but since the last version release mine has been acting up and this is one of the problems although not the worst.
Random crashes have gotten much more frequent and I am seriously considering finding a way to revert back to an earlier version of the browser.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

I haven't had any problems but I rarely use Firefox, but judging from the threads that have appeared lately I think that there is something wrong with it, looks like more people are having problems than before, maybe this release was rushed.

new topics

top topics

join