It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plume's of Steam on Mars ... (pics!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Odd, do you have a link, or do you mean this image?

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

(Incidentally, the full-sized version of the image, which I think you mean by the 'zoom view' is available from jpl at this page)

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't know seems like rock and dust to me. What seems more interesting geologically is what is that rock further to the right on the crater rim.
If you look a that picture of the 'zoom'view Kano gave or on marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

You can see a big rock with a distinct other 'colour', I would describe it blue.
What kind of rock is that?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
By the way also note that the sand is 'darker' in the crater and is that the 'green' which can be seen on the ESA shots?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Sorry it seems it was on a other thread already.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have considered the possability of them just being a sand formation or rock but am unwilling to completely accept that yet.

For example: my looking at the first image below. If the gas were moist or other solid or liquid particulate matter, it would most assuredly leave a wet spot and or a sediment buildup.

This does not appear to be the case, although in the dual-plume, there is a area downwind that may appear to have a fine dust overlay within a certain area of the plume jet.

Now if this were a dry area of soil, maybe containing fine particle soils, a gas venting, would possibly not leave much other than a fine dusting of dry soil dust, as the visible plume. The gas would disperse in the atmosphere, and the fine dust may just blow away when windy enough.

Alot of assumption of events, but again, look at the two images below...

Light Grey - plume scope and area of coverage
Light Blue - the dust field accumulated (more noticable on the double plume, probubly more gas & volume)
Dark Blue - this shadow is either cast by a rock or the plume. I feel it is the plume, and more noticable on the double plume, becouse of more particulate matter within the plume. If you will notice, the shadow itself seems opaque, compared to the sharp contrast of shadow on everything else around.
Yellow - Arrows indicate areas where it appears to be opaque and the background objects can be seen thru the plume tail.
Red - This 'Bloom' are on both sets of plumes, and look very similar in shape and position to where the alleged plume appears, when the wind bends the gasses and dust, and blows it sideways. Very similar to a water hose on a winshield, the bloom is at the point the stream of water hits the winsheild.

I am still looking at the original image, and have yet to find any similar looking anomolies, unlike the dunes or rocks that can be easily discerned as such, by a close look and the fact that their signatures are common and easy to find elsewhere.

I have also considered the fact that the solar warming of the day, could also be in effect, causing afternoon eruptions of temporarily warmed and released gasses.
This would also lend to a lack of consistant 'buildup' of significance.

But I am definatly not ready to dismiss it as a rock just yet. And a gas plume of planetary 'burps' ought to be expected of any planet, including earth.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley I found something very interesting...... could it be a steam?

VERY INTERESTING INDEED!

could you provide the reference to NASA original,
I want to see it in stereo.

Thanks

ES

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hmmm, why are we always taking pictures of the outback on Mars? Of course we won't find much out there. Shouldn't we send Rovers to the metropolitan areas?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD\Hmmm, why are we always taking pictures of the outback on Mars? Of course we won't find much out there. Shouldn't we send Rovers to the metropolitan areas?
Makes sense to me

e
s

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
what evidance do you have that it isn't a gust of wind causing the plumes? wouldn't steam be more white? and have you figured out the size of the rocks for a better idea of scale?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the steam looks rather like light amount of dust blown by light wind
but good observations

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, I referenced everything to the original image. You can use the images in the first post to use as a guide on where I found these 'plumes' in the big picture...

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov... irit/20040315a/x_pubeng_bonnevillecolor-A071R1.jpg

All of the cropping and blowing up images were made only for formatting and demonstration in my post. When this image was first released, I became interested in checking it out. Using a magnifier tool on my pc, basically I reviewed the whole image for interesting things that might appear. (the link to the big picture is up there in this post.) Hey, I had never viewed a picture of mars so detailed before. It was very intriguing to say the least.

After I noticed what was appearing to be some type of gassy vent, I reviewed the whole image again with the magnifier looking for anything similar. Out of all those rocks and sand in the big picture, I wasnt able to find any other similar looking artifacts.

It might be sand, it might be sand in the wind, it might be just another rock. It might be a gassy plume of maybe even steam (which still appears to be the best explanation for me at the moment.) But it doesnt resemble anything else I have noticed on that image, nor many other's. As far as the color of the steam, I expect that it could really be any gas, but steam seems more likely. Also I do not know what color steam would look like in a photo that is not color balanced, or also what it would look like in a very low pressure atmosphere. If it is a gassy vent, and in dry soils, there may also be dust jetted with the steam that may shade it's color.

Granted, there isnt a human on earth that can say exactly what it is, but I do think it IS something of interest to me. And interesting things make me think about the what/how/why's of such a thing.

Unfortunately I havent been able to find any pyramids or building blocks or sculptures or alien craft or anything, but that isnt what I really was looking for to find anyways.

Maybe, just maybe, I saved NASA a year or two in their 'processing' schedule.

***note*** - I would be extremely interested in a link of thermal imaging of this crator just as close up as the other image if anyone knows of one available to the public

(last edit) - I made my images used in the original post by,..

1-viewing the big image
2-using the win zoomer to zoom in on my image
3-used my screen print key to 'grab' the image i was viewing
4-pasted into mspaint to crop the image to a usable size
5-used mspaint to add graphics to some pics
6-used Irfanview to make the bmp to a jpg to reduce file size
7-uploaded to ats

(no photochopping here
)

[edit on 21-3-2005 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think you might have something there. What ever it is it should be of interest we'll see if nasa picks this up or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Thanks.

Please keep in mind that with the atmosphere so thin,.... ice beneath the surface probably wouldnt even have to melt first, and may evaporate like an ice cube in the freezer thats been there too long.

Also, you can take water to the top of some tall mountains, and you can boil it with just body warmth up there. Water doesnt have to be hot in a thin atmosphere, just warmed enough to provide enough heat energy to breakdown the chemical bond that keeps it with the other ice/water molecules.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well, heat is relative to us here on earth.

I can put an ice cube on a plate in the freezer, and with no light or heat,... it will slowly vaporize over weeks without melting or being heated.

Although I cannot definitively describe the application of known science from earth and apply it to mars without fail,... I can think that a planet that size would possibly contain much ice. (especially on the poles).

It has been suggested by our scientists that are studying mars, that mars once contained a dense atmosphere. In the full realm of existence, the atmosphere has been reduced probably not too long ago (in the span of the existence of the planet). I could consider it likely that ice exists below the surface, that the crater removed some of the insulating surface soils and rocks, and when the sun comes up, it could be hypothesized that radiant heat may be enough to at least vaporize some ice that may have difficulty rising up thru the soil, eventually releasing via a plume. Also it is likely that the impact that caused the crater made fissures and cracks in the surrounding area, that may have filled with or exposed ice beneath the surface. Probably alot of friction in the actual collision, possibly melting subterranean ice into the fissures and cracks.

Of course you are wishing me to definitively prove it,... and likewise it cannot be disproven. But the hypothetical along with what looks like 'plumes' is all I have to go with. I look forward to more images of this area, as well as thermal images.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkleyActually, I referenced everything to the original image.
The image you are using is a composite panorama image. I still can not find what are the raw images where your steam appears first. I need them to make a stereo.

ES

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
bump

edit on 10-7-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555
bump

Thank you!! Starred for your success!!

Danged pictures are gone now. Guess it has been a decade since I made this thread.

Any mods, smods, admins, or owners have the old image backups anywhere? They were stored in my image uploader account.... 10 years ago lol.
edit on 10-7-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join