It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Person Shooter Players - Future Soldiers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I was going to put this in the Skunkworks as it is a "Speculative Theory", but I want some reasonably intelligent responses.

We all know that immense amounts of money have been poured into both UAVs, and 'robotic soldiers'. What I pose is a theory of the future: Armies of mechanized soldiers, remotely controlled by kids who have grown up playing First Person Shooters.

I'm not talking about the guys who got into it in their post 10-years old phase, I'm talking about the 8 year olds who are already awesome at them, having grown up in a society where video games emulate reality to a fair extreme.

Even more so I am thinking of the kids who will grow up from birth with video game realities simulated to such extremes as this : technology.timesonline.co.uk... (I don't really know how to link videos). Some of you may have heard of this, it is 'Emily', the next generation of computer animation.

So think of this: kids growing up playing FPS games so realistic that when the army asks them to join up and keep on playing, they become invincible super soldiers.

I suppose we could create an Artificial Intelligence to do this for us, but I imagine that will come a little bit later in time.
Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think it would be really cool sign me up
It's funny that you posted this because I have often said it would be a good idea lol. Real life Call of duty!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
ill bite.

As a life long gamer and "theorist of conspired events" I would say its definetly possible but if the technology gets that advanced to move like you do say in like enenmy territory or even DOD or COD then its probably gonna be pure AI neways and they wouldnt need the people behind the machines just the machines. atleast thats what I think.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Time Splitters 2 all the way. I knew thats what they were doing to me! Or the Hitman series. but I seriously knew this guy Jesse who did sign up to the navy at like 26 yrs old after a life of smoking weed and playing FPS so maybe it is somewhat true.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
yeah I know a couple kids as well one ended up in the marines and the other is now flying jets both grew up playing games and generally just being computer nerds. now they can kill me yikes!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

This is my mini-gun...

Weren't there even commercials implying that at one time?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
All you need is a little machine with a 360 degree swivelling gun and a real time video feed... a mouse can be turned into a deadly weapon.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I play 2142 battlefield, fortress forever, and I'm also currently playing Frontlines: Fuel of War. I played Team Fortress Classic for about 6 years, half of that in leagues. I still play 2142 alot because it's always interesting. Most of the glitches have been worked out by now. But the realism factor is really lacking..

What I've always wanted to see is somewhat of a "World of Starcraft" game in which the world is vast and expansive like in WoW and you can explore, level up, get better weapons, etc.. A first person shooter with real-time realism in which you can squad-up and go on killing sprees maybe even fire a tactical nuke here or there.

The last time I checked (3 months ago) Starcraft 3 had been pushed back AGAIN.. So I have no clue when that will be released..

But I've really been wanting a NEW, REALISTIC FPS that I can play when I'm bored and be enveloped in the game. The last game I played like this was F.E.A.R. singleplayer when it came out 3 years ago or so.

This video in the OP's post is at least a step in the right direction as far as making games more realistic. Even WoW these days has a very cartoony flavor to it.. Someone at Christmas bought me middle-earth online but my buddies said it sucked so I haven't bothered installing it..

In a way I like the cartoony feal of some of the more classic games like TFC. TF2 came out a couple years ago too and it looks like "The Incredibles" took some acid and decided to to mow each other down. But there is also something to be said about realism and raising the bar for graphics and gameplay. The last game that really did that for PC (that I saw) was Crysis. But Crysis wasn't really that hard to beat.. And the multiplayer installation looked to involved.

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
There is actually a game called America's Army that is produced as a free download just for this reason
America’s Army is a tactical, multiplayer, first-person shooter owned by the United States Government and released as a global public relations initiative to help with U.S. Army recruitment. The first version, Recon, was released on 4th July 2002. The current version 2.8.1 was released on 22nd Mar 2007.

It’s the first well known computer game used for political aims. The game is used as a playable recruiting tool and critics have charged the game serves as a propaganda device. A counter on the homepage of the PC version shows over eight million registered accounts as of 2007. GameSpy tracked the game usage and reported an average of 4,500 players at any one time between 2002 and 2005. It is enough for America’s Army to rank in the Top 10 Online Games chart.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthsurfer
There is actually a game called America's Army that is produced as a free download just for this reason
America’s Army is a tactical, multiplayer, first-person shooter owned by the United States Government and released as a global public relations initiative to help with U.S. Army recruitment. The first version, Recon, was released on 4th July 2002. The current version 2.8.1 was released on 22nd Mar 2007.

It’s the first well known computer game used for political aims. The game is used as a playable recruiting tool and critics have charged the game serves as a propaganda device. A counter on the homepage of the PC version shows over eight million registered accounts as of 2007. GameSpy tracked the game usage and reported an average of 4,500 players at any one time between 2002 and 2005. It is enough for America’s Army to rank in the Top 10 Online Games chart.

There is actually a more recent "game" out that is also used for army recruitment called "Virtual Army Experience"
vae.americasarmy.com...

VAE Fact Sheet (PDF)
vae.americasarmy.com...

This has been brewing up some controversy in the media since peace activists are going nuts.

Virtual army experience at air show too much for activists of peace

Army game creates controversy at music festival

VAE is not a downloadable video game, but a traveling exhibit in which civilians are invited to "play soldier" so to speak in a (more or less) virtual reality environment. It sounds AWESOME!!

online.wsj.com...

-ChriS

[edit on 20-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

There is actually a more recent "game" out that is also used for army recruitment called "Virtual Army Experience" vae.americasarmy.com...

I just went to check that out...Pretty wild.
It looks like it is associated with the America's Army that I posted about above, as it
has America's Army as part of the address for the pdf file.
I have not tried it yet, but looks very interesting thanks for the links!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Found a pretty cool youtube video of the game.
It is actually pretty realistic.
Here is the link...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by stealthsurfer]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I dunno...

I played RPG's for years before I've been playing FPS run n gun games for the past 5 or so years (Battlefield 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, COD4, etc). Whilst very good (most often in the top 3 in a 42 person sever) I couldn't hurt someone intentionally let alone kill them!

Hey I even played Postal, GTA games, etc whilst fun.... no way I could reciprocate those in real life.

But, for some people and especially the way realistic things are going these days I beg to differ it may affect and train people to become fantastic soldiers in the future.

Gold

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry made a mistake, and somehow during posting to another thread wound up back here...Sorry!

[edit on 20-8-2008 by stealthsurfer]

new topics

top topics

join