It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't we require drug tests in order to draw welfare?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'd like to pass along a thought.

Many jobs require random drug screens for their employees--if they do not pass, they lose the job. Most require them before hire, too.

Why can't our government require drug screens of people at the time that they apply for welfare, and at random intervals after they are accepted into the program?

I think if you are going to ask for "help getting on your feet," you should be willing to make the comittment, and part number one of that is staying off of drugs.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I have an even better question.

Can anyone please show me the Constitutional Amendment (which, for any that are ignorant, merely lays out what is PERMITTED to the federal government, all other rights being limited to the State) which allows food stamps, HUD, Department of Education, etc.?

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

Can anyone please show me the Constitutional Amendment (which, for any that are ignorant, merely lays out what is PERMITTED to the federal government, all other rights being limited to the State) which allows food stamps, HUD, Department of Education, etc.?

Thank you.

Welfare is distributed on a state level.

Ideally we wouldn't have it, but we do, and I doubt it will go anywhere. I am proposing that as one type of reform that mgiht be enacted.

Please don't snub my question like that, it's very rude.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
well the reason why is because then there would not be anyone on welfare and then we wouldnt have a bunch of people stuck in a fear cycle unable to realize their true power and educate themselves and then rise up sooner than needed to overthrow the ever more present big brother.

good question though.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 911fnord
well the reason why is because then there would not be anyone on welfare and then we wouldnt have a bunch of people stuck in a fear cycle unable to realize their true power and educate themselves and then rise up sooner than needed to overthrow the ever more present big brother.

good question though.

Hey Fnord, I'm in Dallas too.

I don't think that everyone on welfare is on drugs, so the drawers wouldn't utterly disappear.

Those people would continue to use drugs with or without the welfare, so I don't think there would be an uprising because they would educate themselves... maybe because they didn't get the payout, though.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The most commonly and widely abused drug is alcohol. Certain forms of employment screen for other chronic drugs because it might affect your doing of the job.

In far north western Australia there's been a recent 'intervention' of sorts to stamp out alcohol abuse in remote Aboriginal communities - the cycle is welfare day comes, all the money is spent on booze, and everyone waits for next pay day.

All alcohol going into the communities is accounted for by the bottle shops by taking the names of people who buy it and putting limits on how much they can buy.

The pay day- > booze cycle though is also among some of the wider community - but to suggest the same would be done in metropolitan areas would tick a lot of people off.

As for screening for drugs, it'd upset a lot of civil liberty people. It's in an invasion of privacy - but I agree with the idea behind it.

Especially the dealers who get welfare!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

cool nice weather finally.

Yeah my response was a little cynical and I would have to assume the program has actually helped allot of people. But I do see it as the "theorist of conspired events" that I am as a ultimately a way to keep people down.

We should drug tests the big whigs over at the banks we rescued past couple months and film it thats reality tv.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well... Why would we WANT to do drug testing?

First, it costs money.

Second, it's highly unreliable. How would you feel about denying someone benefits merely because they ate a poppy seed bagel? (Mythbusters did a segment where they tested a staff member and got a negative, then the guy ate a poppy seed bagel. An hour or so later they tested him, and... He tested positive for opiates.)

Third, one of the big tactics the NWO has is the War on Drugs. They produce drugs, ship them in, sell them to the street dealers (financing black ops), and then arrest the kids and low-level dealers. On top of that, they can justify police raids, wire tapping, property seizure without due process, racial harassment and intimidation, and other social ills that give them more power.

Fourth, several of the "illegal" drugs are not just benign but good for you. I will not spell it out, for fear this will go RATS, but the primary one that is can be grown and starts with "M."

So you tell me why ANYONE should be drug tested.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

All alcohol going into the communities is accounted for by the bottle shops by taking the names of people who buy it and putting limits on how much they can buy.

The pay day- > booze cycle though is also among some of the wider community - but to suggest the same would be done in metropolitan areas would tick a lot of people off.

As for screening for drugs, it'd upset a lot of civil liberty people. It's in an invasion of privacy - but I agree with the idea behind it.

Especially the dealers who get welfare!

That is very intersting that it is put into practice like that, and the double standard.

As I said in the OP, the very act of drawing welfare is inviting the govt. into your lap...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 911fnord
reply to post by asmeone2

cool nice weather finally.

Yeah my response was a little cynical and I would have to assume the program has actually helped allot of people. But I do see it as the "theorist of conspired events" that I am as a ultimately a way to keep people down.

I got WIC for a while, and it really did help me--I wasn't able to breastfeed and wouldn't have been able to afford formula otherwise.

I think they should reform the foodstamp program to fit the WIC model, if they must keep it... I worked at a grocery store for a while, and was disgusted by how many carts of junk food were paid for with food stamp cards.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Well... Why would we WANT to do drug testing?

First, it costs money.

Second, it's highly unreliable. How would you feel about denying someone benefits merely because they ate a poppy seed bagel? (Mythbusters did a segment where they tested a staff member and got a negative, then the guy ate a poppy seed bagel. An hour or so later they tested him, and... He tested positive for opiates.)

Third, one of the big tactics the NWO has is the War on Drugs. They produce drugs, ship them in, sell them to the street dealers (financing black ops), and then arrest the kids and low-level dealers. On top of that, they can justify police raids, wire tapping, property seizure without due process, racial harassment and intimidation, and other social ills that give them more power.

Fourth, several of the "illegal" drugs are not just benign but good for you. I will not spell it out, for fear this will go RATS, but the primary one that is can be grown and starts with "M."

So you tell me why ANYONE should be drug tested.

1. It cost money but would save a lot more in the end.

2. That can be solved by testing the hair instead of the urine. This shows cumulitive drug use, not what is currently in the body.

3 & 4-- Agreed but that is really tangential to this thread. Even if they were legal and the govt. steps out, most of the problems would still remain.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

Thank you.

Welfare is distributed on a state level.

Ideally we wouldn't have it, but we do, and I doubt it will go anywhere. I am proposing that as one type of reform that mgiht be enacted.

Please don't snub my question like that, it's very rude.

Excuse me, but where is "welfare" on my list? I'm talking about FEDERAL stuff here, which, in a way, does kind of hijack your thread, and that wasn't my intent.

What I DID intend was to show you that we should be taking care of Federal issues first, then we can focus on state ones.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Welfare doesn't cost much of anything... we spend as much in a couple of weeks in Iraq as people get in food stamps every year...

and I'm pro military... but respectively to the uS budget it isn't much of an issue...

and frankly, why force people with personal problems into the workplace...drug use isn't the cause it's a symptom of other problems... these people need dope and they need welfare, some people really have just had no luck in life... people don't choose to be an overall mess they just are...

There won't ever be some flood of people looking to be on section 8 housing and taking food stamps to survive... no more than there is... and it keeps those people under control to a degree rather than desperate to hel them out...

everyone no matter how screwed up deserves shelter and food

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Excuse me, but where is "welfare" on my list? I'm talking about FEDERAL stuff here, which, in a way, does kind of hijack your thread, and that wasn't my intent.

What I DID intend was to show you that we should be taking care of Federal issues first, then we can focus on state ones.

Start your own thread then, I would totally support a libertarian revolution but here I want to talk about things as they are.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

THe problem I have with welfare is that it sets a poor social example. It tells people that they don't have to be motivated, they can depend on the system to support a mediocre existance at the expense of those who truly want to succeed.

This plays hand in hand with the drug-user mentality; I think an effort to separate them might go a long way to solve both problems.

One can claim an addiction as a disease, and be approved for disability. Sickening.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I'd like to pass along a thought.

Many jobs require random drug screens for their employees--if they do not pass, they lose the job. Most require them before hire, too.

Why can't our government require drug screens of people at the time that they apply for welfare, and at random intervals after they are accepted into the program?

I think if you are going to ask for "help getting on your feet," you should be willing to make the comittment, and part number one of that is staying off of drugs.

how do you apply for welfare?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

reply to post by mopusvindictus

THe problem I have with welfare is that it sets a poor social example. It tells people that they don't have to be motivated, they can depend on the system to support a mediocre existance at the expense of those who truly want to succeed.

This plays hand in hand with the drug-user mentality; I think an effort to separate them might go a long way to solve both problems.

One can claim an addiction as a disease, and be approved for disability. Sickening.

i dont know about you, but i grew up with a computer and the first two jobs i ever had were telecommunications and computer sales. wasnt good at telecommunications because i cannot build stuff at a face pace.

now the economy is all torn to dirt all the cool jobs with all the white people from suburbia or the kids from westheimer is over. its like they are non existant.

now the jobs that a white person would get out of high school have been replaced with black people. every single office building i walk in is nothing but blacks and they do not hire white people and when they do they humliate them.

so now i live in the boonies and would love for some revenue to come my way so i can go to college, i am 26 years old and dress better than anyone and i cant get a job with my experience because of my tenoir.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I have been asking the same thing myself for years.

As it is there are many people abusing the system here in Australia, and quite a lot of them sit around playing their playstation on pot and anything else they can afford with no intention of finding honest work and the only form of depression they suffer from is either from coming down or not being able to afford to score.

If depression or bad luck is their problem, medicare provides free (taxpayer funded) medical help and counseling. In fact there a lot of ‘dole bludgers’ on Zoloft as well as weed.

It is an unfortunate cycle often passed on from parents that needs to be broken.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

how do you apply for welfare?

It differs state by state, but usually you have to go to the office with documents to prove your identity and your income, and they sign you up based on that.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarlett Johanson

You already have your answer... if you grew up with a computer...Work It!

Most Jobs are no better than welfare, you get paid to do work no one else wants to do for a set fee working for someone who owns a business and has a life...

You Do NOT want a Job ever... If you have to have one, take anything, work 2 jobs not one and save until you can buy yourself a few months at home on the computer...

Being in Business is the answer and the internet makes it cheep and easy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join