It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartoons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
NOT SURE IF RIGHT AREA
-------------------------------

So I turned on the TV to the cartoon channel for my kid to watch(shes only 1). i have not watched or looked at cartoons in years. I remember cartoons being more fun when I was a kid. Now cartoons are all basically 3d animated that are for little kids. Nothing like carebears, smurfs, etc. Also the cartoons are very odd? Maybe its just me, but like the one I was watching wasnt even a cartoon it was people dressed kinda stupid. Singing and dancing. It was very odd to me.

Do you think there is something behind the evolution of cartoons besides just tech?

Is there a different learning element there pushing are children toward? We all watched the older cartoons and they seam to have made us all turn out fine. I just dont see how these new style cartoons can be teaching tools. Isnt that what schools are for? Are they made so more parents will think its a learning tool and stick there kids infront of them?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCloud
NOT SURE IF RIGHT AREA
-------------------------------

So I turned on the TV to the cartoon channel for my kid to watch(shes only 1). i have not watched or looked at cartoons in years. I remember cartoons being more fun when I was a kid. Now cartoons are all basically 3d animated that are for little kids. Nothing like carebears, smurfs, etc. Also the cartoons are very odd? Maybe its just me, but like the one I was watching wasnt even a cartoon it was people dressed kinda stupid. Singing and dancing. It was very odd to me.

Do you think there is something behind the evolution of cartoons besides just tech?

Is there a different learning element there pushing are children toward? We all watched the older cartoons and they seam to have made us all turn out fine. I just dont see how these new style cartoons can be teaching tools. Isnt that what schools are for? Are they made so more parents will think its a learning tool and stick there kids infront of them?

I think the new cartoons assume kids to be stupid. However, the cartoons aimed at very young children are kind of new. I don't remember any of those on TV back when I was a kid, and watched cartoons. So, in that sense, I think they are just exploiting a younger market. Good or bad, I don't know. When my son was 1 or 2, he really liked watching the teletubbies. (BTW, yes that red one's doll really, really did say "Faggot, Faggot, bite my butt". You can hear it plain as day. I didn't send it back in the recall, and still have it!
)

All very young children seem to respond humorously to things that are just outright silly. I think those cartoons are just geared to be extra silly, and make kids laugh. But then again, I haven't seen any since the teletubbies were on about 10 years ago, so I don't know for sure. Who knows?

I will tell you one thing that irritates me to no end with today's cartoons. There is NEVER any silence in them. You watch the old Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, or Johnny Quest cartoons, there were times when they were QUIET. Not now. And it drives me nuts!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well from what my bro says "he has a 5yr old and a 2yr old". Cartoons today joke and have farts etc whats the point?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

I was watching my friends' kids last night. The TV for kids seems to be a choice between totally stupid and totally inappropriate in terms of kids adoring "tween" make-up and flirting and inappropriate language.

Of course, most adult shows on TV are totally stupid and totally inappropriate, too ... unless you consider ENTIRELY avoiding the truth, appropriate.

Can you spell, 'sheeple'?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I dont know about recent ones, but I sat down the other day and watched an episode of "Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers and a couple minutes in there was a short scene of a kid in a "bill nye the science guy" type class, and the teacher tells him what they are going to learn, and the kid goes "aww gee, I was hoping to learn how to make plastic explosives out of household items"....

Have to say, my jaw dropped. I'll try and find a clip.

new topics

top topics

join