It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ghost Hunters real?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by an0maly33

I think the first thing people have to realize is that the model for this show and other similar shows is that of the 'reality show'.

These shows have writers, are scripted with some ad lib dialogue, and their main function is not really strictly about the topic title. They're 'reality show' first and then topical second.

Thus they need to satisfy ratings, which means some of it involves 'reinacting' things and some 'invention'.

Now, invention doesn't necessarily mean faking. It may mean the hosts and the cast are not exactly privy to what goes on behind the scenes.

So when you see a shadow or an IR source popup or run across the screen, it may be a member of the crew, and the cast is aware that the cast is on scene. The cast is also aware that some 'recreation' may take place, but they may only be vaguely aware of what that is. Thus they have 'plausible deniability. That's why you may see some astonishing things happen and Grant or Jason only react slightly.

I guarantee you that if they were at a real site and had some of the events happen with no crew present, they'd be jumping out of their skins with excitement.

Now I don't think the show is a complete hoax, like the one show where the host was caught in an outtake laughing at the ghost or what the 'medium' said, but it is scripted and it is edited, and the hosts, Jason and Grant do not have script approval, nor do they really have any control about the final, edited show. They seem like good guys and their approach, even on the show, is to first try and debunk the situations they enounter. They probably have that written into their contract.

Most people realize that you couldn't have a show last a season if you portrayed what really happens on an investigation, and that's -nothing-. Of course, there are investigations where they have no evidence. But sprinkled into the series, they -have- to have something happen, thus the need for 'recreations, scripting and plausible deniability'.

With that said, again, Grant and Jason are good guys and basically honest and would never countenance an outright hoax, I think.

Now, as to the K-2 eter. I direct your attention to two youtube videos about the meter, how it works and how it is modifited to be 'always on'. They're a bit long, so I apologize for that. The first one is about the meter itself and the second talks about a mod, which can include a toggle switch or it could involve putting a thin piece of plastic under the thumb switch for times when the thing is sitting on a chair untouched.

The K-2 Meter:

The 'Mod':

So, there's what I know, again, my opinion. Make up your own mind.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I bevieve the show to be real though they will never be able to prove anything scientifically. There are too many variables. I don't watch it much anymore as its boring to me and I hate the international version. I personnally think they find very little "evidence" at all.

I've driven the same route to work for over ten years. I see some of the same vehicles day in and day out. Sometimes I don't see a particular car for weeks. Does that mean they don't exist? They don't go that way anymore? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they stop for coffee now and I miss them by 5 minutes. I don't leave at exactly the same time everyday. If I did, they may not. The point is, the number of variables are too numerous. Sure you can control some but there so much more you can't so conclusive scientific testing is impossible. I believe the proof and the truth is in one's own personal experience.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by TheTraveler]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTraveler
I bevieve the show to be real though they will never be able to prove anything scientifically. There are too many variables. I don't watch it much anymore as its boring to me and I hate the international version. I personnally think they find very little "evidence" at all.

I've driven the same route to work for over ten years. I see some of the same vehicles day in and day out. Sometimes I don't see a particular car for weeks. Does that mean they don't exist? They don't go that way anymore? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they stop for coffee now and I miss them by 5 minutes. I don't leave at exactly the same time everyday. If I did, they may not. The point is, the number of variables are too numerous. Sure you can control some but there so much more you can't so conclusive scientific testing is impossible. I believe the proof and the truth is in one's own personal experience.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by TheTraveler]

The difference here is that you did see that car before it stopped going that way. There was not a stampede of ghosts that has not been 'this way' in a while, none ever bothered to show themselves to anyone with a camera, or group or credible eyewitnesses. Now if you saw the car and were the only one that could ever see that car and then it stopped coming and you tried to talk about it, that might be different but then again, i can go to my driveway and prove cars do in fact exsist. Any ghosts in your driveway? Just asking.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The difference here is that you did see that car before it stopped going that way. There was not a stampede of ghosts that has not been 'this way' in a while, none ever bothered to show themselves to anyone with a camera, or group or credible eyewitnesses. Now if you saw the car and were the only one that could ever see that car and then it stopped coming and you tried to talk about it, that might be different but then again, i can go to my driveway and prove cars do in fact exsist. Any ghosts in your driveway? Just asking.

I've seen a ghost once and have had other nonvisual ghost experiences over the years. Nothing regular, just hit and miss. One as recently as 3 weeks ago. I can't prove any of them and you can't disprove them but they were real and I know it. That's for another topic though as we can go on about therories and beliefs and such all day long and still be in the same spot. I was just trying to illustrate the possible variables.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I think Ghost Hunters is a terribly unrealistic show. There are so many plot holes and inconsistencies....like tonight's episode. They were supposed to wait til 3 a.m. to see the kids' toys go on, yet they left before 3. Also, spirits and ghosts don't show up just because a bunch of dudes are sitting in a place calling them out on the exact night they show up to look for them...in order for it be more legitimate, they would have to come back more than one night and keep looking. It's like looking for a lost dog and expecting to find it on the first night they go looking...and then they were trying to exorcize the house like they were ordained...give me a break. And am I also the only one who notices that when they go into a supposed room where they heard something, there's always an unseen cameraman shooting them from inside the room before they get there?
Doesn't it phase anyone that that cameraman always has a light strobe attached to the camera filming them, thus making real apparitions less likely to appear more than shadows?
Also, in tonight's episode, one of the hand held mini dv cameras' battery went dead immediately though the guy said it was fully charged, yet the third party cameraman had no problem with his battery. It all proves this show is a set up as also a show to promote Roto Rooter. In order for me to believe that the show would be authentic, they should just use cameras from their perspectives and that's it. Not third party cameramen who by the way never capture anything if they are supposed to be also filming. I would like it better if they just strapped mini cams to their heads along with the FLURS and hand held and EMF's and digital audios....oh, and one last thing. I found some great sites where you can buy your own equipment to become your own ghost hunter and probably could do just what they do on the show. It also bothers me that they always fist knock at the end of every case like they did something amazing. I think after tonight I'm done with the show. I gave it 2 full seasons to see if I'd change my opinion, and I was open to it, but nope. I'd rather watch a scary ghost movie and get more entertainment. Or maybe I'll buy the equipment, it's not that expensive, and go find ghosts myself. I will keep my Jason and Grant bobbleheads I got free at Comic Con this summer though...maybe they'll be collector items, or reminders that if I need plumbers, I know who to call. Nothing against them, I just think the show is a disappointment. Also, I don't like their constant profanity, it lowers my respect of them.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ive watched both of the shows. The fact that they find anything seems pretty interesting to me. They just show up and "hope" something happens. I dont think they fake anything , but it seems to me that they sometimes see and hear what they want to hear. They have had some very interesting experiences though. My ex girlfriend and her mother lived in a haunted home for a while. They were believers in a matter of days.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have to agree that if you lived in a haunted home you would be a believer too. I grew up in one, lost a lot of sleep as a kid. it was like. If I move or call for my parents it will find me and get me. If I just lay perfectly still and not cry for my parents it would eventually find me and get me. so you sorta lay around paralyzed by fear most nights until the sun comes up or until you pass out from pure exhaustion around 4AM.

The sightings when you do see them are very hard to define let alone document. You can see what your eye perceives as a ghost but a camera wouldn't.

I love the ghost hunters, applaud the work they've done, encourage them to continue, they are breaking new ground in the field (i think) and I believe them to be genuine.

But they also have no control over the program in reality, so there is room for forgery, tricky filming etc. And the K2 meter. ????????? still don't get how any of that is scientific.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Azrael75

In the lighthouse episode where the chair moved by itself, I saw some contradicting footage. When Grant leaves the attic, during the filming of the show, he is carrying his chair and he closes the door behind him. Later, when the footage is shown to everyone, it shows Grant leaving the attic, without his chair and without shutting the door behind him.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by danredd

There are rules here, you can disagree but you have to do it with manners and decorum. Telling someone to shut up.. is not ok here.
Play nice when debating or I will report the next reply like that I see from you to anyone.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
they dont use many creppy sound effects.
thats one of my favorite part of the shows.

is that they arent trying to scare you, and they do so much debunking and often come up with little evidence, that they arent trying to make anyone believe them.

they do the show for those who are interested in the paranormal just like they are.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is on TV and makes a profit off paranormal activity. I think those are two good indicators that it is not real. Criss Angel can do a better job at faking paranormal activity than ghost hunters, and although he does not reveal many of his secrets he fully admits it is all fake paranormal activity.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
It is on TV and makes a profit off paranormal activity. I think those are two good indicators that it is not real. Criss Angel can do a better job at faking paranormal activity than ghost hunters, and although he does not reveal many of his secrets he fully admits it is all fake paranormal activity.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

So many smart and pretty females here on ATS. Too bad just being on ATS means that you are all crazy. I do find it hard to believe that anyone even begins to by the crap sold to them on FOR PROFIT network or cable or satelite shows. You know if they caught anything real and tangible, there would be some FREE scientific journal to find it in eventually.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I've seen a ghost once and have had other nonvisual ghost experiences over the years. Nothing regular, just hit and miss. One as recently as 3 weeks ago. I can't prove any of them and you can't disprove them but they were real and I know it. That's for another topic though as we can go on about therories and beliefs and such all day long and still be in the same spot. I was just trying to illustrate the possible variables.

buuuuut...anyone of us can prove a car does indeed exsist can we not?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Hmm.. I like it. I like the fact that they don't always find evidence for things...lk; adsfhjsadpk f hqw kfjh asdl kjhasdklfjdhlsfkjas;lkjfhasd;lkfhasdflkjasdfn;klm

(sorry, I just heard that the buyout bill passed.) Time to switch threads.

Real or not, I like the show.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiamanicus

buuuuut...anyone of us can prove a car does indeed exsist can we not?

Yes, a car in general. But can you say a particular car exists that appears among other cars and then you never see it again. Just because you saw it you assume other drivers saw it, or did they? Or it does exist but your paths just don't cross again. We all assume that car to be real and the only proof is our own particular experience. Again, I was just trying to illustrate the possible variables.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

I have seen this show over here in luvverly UK, but I don't quite know what to make of it.

At first, I thought it was pretty top notch, as they seemed to be very, 'If we can recreate this image / prove it not paranormal, then we will disagree', if that makes sense? So I thought it was pretty cool.

But then I heard they'd been faking some stuff? Maybe I never saw some episodes to prove this. So little annoyed, oh well!

But flagged, am liking this

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yes I am bumping this up again
) I read this discussion and decided to pay close attention to the show and gather my own intelligence.

So I have been watching Ghosthunters for some time now. I have not seen every episode but I have seen enough to come to a conclusion.

So I may be wrong in some of my conclusions, feel free to straighten me out.

1. They are always feeling cold and drafty. Now they are quick to debunk every creepy feeling over elecrical stuff.
Yet they are always feeling cold and drafty. Anyone knows that houses have drafts, even random ones. Big houses especially have cold spots, even random ones.So they won't accept creepy feelings but will accept drafts. I have not seen them ask someone who gets creepy feelings if it only happens at certain times.
So they are not very methodical at this.
I am really tired of the "oh, i feel a cold spot deal".

2. Everyone seems to declare they have seen full appiritions, but I have not really seen one. Graphics not good enough?

And a shadow running against the background doesn't count.

That brings me to 3.

3. It seems that most of the ghostly figures we see is on heat radar, which is very easy to fabricate.

4. Objects that are moving and/or turning on, are never actually seen. The camera is on Jason or Grant.
Even while they are "witnessing the movement' the camera is still on them. that or the cameramen are really stupid.

5. The cameramen never seem to catch anything. Only the TAPS lesser quality cameras.

6. this show seems relatively popular, why are they still working at RotoRooter?

7. If they see so many ghosts, why do they say "cool" but completely freak out over a bug?

8. Why are all the EVP in English?
or with American accents?
There have been a lot of immigrants in our history.

I want a "get out" in a southern drawl.

9. I have not seen them ask the homeowners if their pets could be causing a ruckous.

10. They don't ask if occurences occur at a particular time of year or time.

11. If most people see them during the day, but they only film at night, why don't they film over 24 hours?

12. I know they may not say on tv, but they don't ask the peoples medical history. Something as simple as an eye floater can make people think they see movement out of the corner of their eyes. Medications can make you dizzy or hallucinate.

13. Wouldn't the film crews cameras pick up the evps?

14. Why are Jason and Grant always seeing things we can't? And again, the camera is always on them. If they want us to believe, there needs to be a camera on the room and them. Their expressions and exclamations are not enough for me.

15. I have seen STeve "reviewing" four cameras at once. You can't watch four screens at once and not miss something. Not very practical to me.

16. Why don't any of these homeowners try their own recordings and filming over time and offer them up as proof. Before or after TAPS comes. I knew I had ghosts, and the team declared I didn't, you can bet I would do my own filming and do a "SEE!"

17. And when they get the, sort of evidence, where they are not 100% postitive of an infestation. Why don't they continue investigating or come back?

I know they don't have time to do every place for extended periods, but a good idea would be to have a sub team taht continues working or goes back to check a place.And have clippets of it on the show.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
They are a joke. That's it. Their methods are disgraceful, and their complete lack of respect for the scientific method nullifies any and all 'evidence' they come up with.

It's hurting the field, not helping it.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
They are a joke. That's it. Their methods are disgraceful, and their complete lack of respect for the scientific method nullifies any and all 'evidence' they come up with.

It's hurting the field, not helping it.

Someone should silence this useless poster. You never have anything of value to contribute to any thread I've ever seen your name in.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The have to use some hype and spooky music to appeal to the masses, to get ratings and keep the show on the air.

My favorite episode is the one they shot in Ireland.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join