It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ghost Hunters real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
I can vouch for EVPs. I belong to an active group in Central Illinois, and we have a few pieces of compelling evidence on audio. One is absolutely verifiable. I had two devices on me, going at the same time. One device picked up the clearly audible voice, the other device did not when played side by side. Eventually I'll get all of our evidence posted up online. We got a Class A EVP from Waverly Hills. A distinct and up close voice clearly says, "Hey,...I've been doin this a long time." It's creepy to hear it.

Do you think you could upload the voice? I'm very interested.

Also I was thinking. Is it possible that when you record over some sounds that were previously recorded there might be a glitch sometimes that overlaps the two? Probably a dumb question but I'm curious.

Also why do people in EVPs sometimes say things completely unrelated or just random stuff? Can they not see our world and ours not see theirs? Do they not even realize we are here? Are they simply residual hauntings from the physical? Why do you think the recorders can pick up what we cannot?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well, for the Class A EVP, I need to get the original audio from the guy in our group that got it on his recorder. He only cut the EVP out and sent that for us to hear. I need to be able to show you the few minutes before and after the voice so you know it's not just someone speaking into the mic. It's that clear.
Second, on mine, I will work on uploading the one I got tomorrow so everyone can hear it.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Sweet!
Look forward to it!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks ghost hunters is real is a dumbass. When i first started to watch the show i loved it. it was addicting because everytime you hoped that they would have good evidence toward finding a ghost. But you realize that they never do. They purposly debunk every evidence they get because it isn't real.
And ask yourself this question. What does the camera man focus on in the show. One would think that he would focus on the surroundings helping the investigators in finding a ghost. But wrong. all the camera man does is video tape the invesegators. Its #ing unbelievable! i cant stand it anymore. I dont see how i even found the show remotely entertaining.
The one episode that really pissed me off was when andy, (The faggot nerd) was in a tunnel and he randomly decided to shift some rocks and what do you know he found a secret passageway to a lower tunnel. Now.... the passage way was very small and even for tiny nerd like andy, e could barely fit into it. Then suddenly the camera changes and now the camera man is magicly in the tunnel and it shows andy climbing down the passageway. WIERD.... huh? i guess they found a way to fit the camera man in there without damaging any equipment.
I would talk more but im getting bored. Its all staged and all actors. I dont know why the ghost hunters would leave the show in the first place. I would be prety lucky if my job was to hunt ghosts and it was broadcasted all over televison. If there job was to catch ghosts they wouldn't leave an oppurtunity like this... unless they were actors....

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Is GHOST HUNTERS fake? Maybe, maybe not, but ghost do exist! Ive had my own personal experience in 1982. I was a senior in high school and my grandmother broke her hip in her house in Minnesota. My mother and I went up to take care of her and move her back to Iowa. We stayed in my grandmothers house for several weeks to sell it. One morning my mother went to the hospital to see how grandmother was doing, I decided to stay at the house by myself. As I was wathching tv I got a feeling that I was not alone! I turned around to see my grandmother Pearl (who was still alive at that time) and my grandfather (who was dead). My grandfather was seated on a couch smoking a cigar and my grandmother was bringing in food on a tray through swinging doors. All of this was against a bare wall! They were see through but I could see all the details, the couch and the swinging doors were there but years ago!! All this happened in maybe a few seconds! I turned around and glanced back and they were gone! That evening when my mom got back and I was getting ready for bed, I had to tell her of my experience, she turned white as a ghost and asked me if I knew what that day was. I didnt know what day that was and then she told me that it was her mom and dads anniversary!! I didnt sleep at all that night but never had that experience since. Weired but it really happened!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm not the biggest TAPS fan in the world. But I have to say that I believe they're legit. I've watched several seasons, and I've never seen anything amazing. They get "orbs" and have never once that I've seen considered it as evidence. On many cases, they get no evidence at all. The most interesting part of the show for me are the stories that go along with the "Haunting."

I can only think of five instances where something neat actually happened.

Hotel: glass shattered

Europe: camera guy got knocked over

Lighthouse: Chair moved

Unknown locale: TAPS member got the wind knocked out of him.

House: EVP of "You don't want us" was creepy

On many cases they have no evidence whatsoever, or some recording of a sound, or a weak EVP.

I do think the TAPS members are encouraged to be excitable. "Oh Sh!T what was that?!" But as far as evidence, eh not so much. In fact it is generally so boring that I've stopped watching the show.

Every other paranormal investigation show I have seen is a painful joke. It's like that guy at work who tries to be funny, but no one laughs, so he keeps trying harder. Ghost Hunters is legit. All others are painful excuses for entertainment.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I believe that some of it is staged, just as any reality TV show. I've done ghost hunting in the past and have never acted the way some of the people do-ie freaking out right when there's a tiny bit of ghost evidence. They do this comically too!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was watching a rerun "Ghost Hunters International" the other night when they were at Dracula's castle (Poienari Castle, Romania).

Do ghosts in Romania speak English?

Just curious...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Ghost hunters international is a total joke. Everyone on that show is a throw away from the normal ghost hunters group. Ghost hunters is the most legit show out of all paranormal shows. Someone above mentioned only 5 instances where something cool happened. What about the crazy footage of the aparitions in the Florida lighthouse? What about that weird cloaked "thing" captured on camera in the abandoned penitentiary? And even if they do have personal experiences they never chalk it up as "evidence". As for all the other shows, they are ridiculous. I hate it when, on the other shows ( paranormal state and most haunted) they go "give us a sign of your presence." and one second later things start banging around and stuff, thats nonsense. If you sit in a totally dark house and be perfectly still, you'll hear things. It's not a ghost, its the house, give me a break!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

There is no way to tell, so that instantly invalidates any interesting things they might claim. If it's real, it's indistinguishable from fiction. They do not control their environment, they don't use their instrumentation correctly, they do not perform repeated experiments in a controlled fashion. Quite simply there are far too many variables in the scenarios they investigate for it to have any scientific merit at all.

Ghost Hunters is not science, and as such is entertainment only. Don't get me wrong - I like the show, and have participated in a chat with one of the guys (I can't remember which - he started banging on about Orbs and I departed rather abruptly to save my brain), but it's just entertainment. No-one can expect to learn anything from that show. And if one thinks one has, one should start applying logic to their sources of education.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Yes some good points. But I don't think it is so much a matter of control. In one of the episodes a glass shatters spontaneously and you can see the whole thing. So I don't think they're getting a way with just mistakes because of loose variables. I think it comes down to: They FAKED it. OR GHOSTS ARE REAL!!!

Someones right, someones wrong.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

EVPs are very, very dodgy. The problem is the audio equipment used is usually highly-lossy, that is the sound recorded is messed with by the recording equipment, removing frequencies and squashing others up, in order to extend recording time and keep costs low. Also, the microphones frequently used are simply not made for delicate voice work, and the environments these alleged EVPs are recorded in are far from controlled. Now if someone could use professional-grade microphones (multiple ones), each connected to its own DAT recorder (or other high-quality digital recording device), in an anechoic chamber, and get the same recording on both tapes, then that would be something. Most, if not all, of the EVPs I've heard have been recorded on things like dictaphones, MiniDisc players, that sort of thing - all renowned for their lossy audio handling. A flawed procedure from the out-set.

Or maybe ghosts are real and these guys are idiots?

reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Tricks of the mind can be very vivid. Your experience is not really evidence, though, as it could have been anything - caused by a medical condition, a simple "brain fart", or, yup, ghosts. As it's impossible to discern the three at this (or any) stage, assuming it is ghosts is not the correct course of action, if you want to be logical about it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I love that show but I think there is alot of people out there that try and dupe them. In fact I throw out alot of evidence, like the black mass the caught on their first trip to Eastern State Penitentiary. In my mind that clearly looks like someone under a dark blanket running then stops turns and runs the other way.

With that being said I am still scratching my head over the evidence they got from both visits to the St. Augustine Lighthouse. I was in St. Augustine this summer and when we went to the Alligator Farm we could clearly see the lighthouse, it was kinda creepy.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Another problem with the show is that now they publicly air where they're going to be. So someone can basically come in and screw with them.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If ghost hunters isn't science then what ghost investigation has ever been science? Because that's what every ghost investigation has ever been. Or does some ghost team out there have equipment not available to anyone else?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
NO! NO! NO! I taped the show and they are phony money grubbing fame seekers who don't care about truth or the people they use to get their ratings. Don't be foolish sheep following along hoping someday they might call you! I Hate TAPS!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Gribble

Just because ghost hunters aren't scientific doesn't mean it's not possible to have a scientific approach to ghost hunting. These guys are entertainers playing dress-up pretending they're in Ghost Busters, that's all.

Their whole approach is flawed from the get-go. They run in, do the bare minimum to appear scientific, then make it up as they go along. They use baseless assertions to justify their motives and approach, spew priceless bits of "information" (which is anything that says "there's a theory that..." and "some say..."). Heck, these fools had a demonologist on their show, and their guys seem to love talking about orbs as if they mean anything.

The whole show is, quite frankly, pathetic.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

i love the show, i watch it all the time, and i dont buy it at all. i do appreciate that they throw out most evidence but the moving chair in the lighthouse really did it for me. the chair moved all on its own, it was amazing, the most compelling ghost/interaction footage i had ever seen. i could not believe they did not make a huge deal out of it, in fact they glossed over it as they would any other evidence they claim to have caught. like it was another anomolous shadow and corresponding evp or some other vague thing. but then i saw the internet abuzz with the same footage brightened and clearly, there is a cable moving the chair. GH never addressed this. after that, i decided the show was just fun to watch dusting act like gods gift to nerd women and brian lie from scene to scene. it is a fun show but i just cannot really believe them.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

Just because ghost hunters aren't scientific doesn't mean it's not possible to have a scientific approach to ghost hunting. These guys are entertainers playing dress-up pretending they're in Ghost Busters, that's all.

Their whole approach is flawed from the get-go. They run in, do the bare minimum to appear scientific, then make it up as they go along. They use baseless assertions to justify their motives and approach, spew priceless bits of "information" (which is anything that says "there's a theory that..." and "some say..."). Heck, these fools had a demonologist on their show, and their guys seem to love talking about orbs as if they mean anything.

The whole show is, quite frankly, pathetic.

Actually they dont even count orbs as anything. If they catch "orbs" they throw it out and dont make it count towards anything. Also, how can you be scientific when you dont even know what you're dealing with and dont even know if ghosts exist. The major factor is they have experience with all the cases and compile information that way. Running into the same thing over and over again makes them more justified to talk about something like they know what's up than a normal person just talking online about it.

How would you approach something as strange as ghosts and hauntings in a scientific way? What would you suggest they do differently? What kind of scientific equipment or method would you suggest someone use to prove that there are ghosts ? Nothing that's what, no one knows what they are doing when they are trying to prove the existence of ghosts. Ghosthunters is just doing the best they can and speak from experience.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Azrael75

The team, when reviewing the footage, comments on orbs all the time. Jay and Grant don't, but the rest of the team does, which really puts a bad light on their objectivity - clearly they don't have much.

As for being scientific - that is my entire point. First, we need to demonstrate that ghosts exist. There is enough information out there to form a hypothesis, and now we need to contruct an experiment to test this hypothesis. That's what I mean about a controlled environment - if we can perform an experiment in a controlled environment multiple times and get consistent results, we can ascertain something is indeed happening. Without this, all the "theories" the Ghost Hunters team talks about is nothing but spooky hot air.

The experiment would have to be drastically different to the way the GHs operate. First of all, removal of all variables, except the one being tested. This would require the setting up of an environment where nothing else can affect the contents, except ghosts. A great example of how these guys screw this up is the use of EMF detectors and electronic devices, including wireless AV equipment - any electronic device will kick out EMF, and wireless equipment are designed specifically to do so. That means using an EMF detector is inherently flawed, and any suspicious readings have to be immediately discounted. Once they can establish a controlled environment, pick a range of sensing equipment, and conduct the experiment repeatedly, getting consistent results each time, they'll be on to something.

Until then, it's just some kids running around being scared of their own shadows, telling ghost stories. The whole show is quite pathetic, paying lip-service to science, while being a great advert for whatever plumbing company that employs the two. Vacuous TV at its best.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join