It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird,strange,amazing,cool-Dont know what to say to the phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Now Iam going to tell you the strange thing that happened last night here in chennai.

Everyone knows that thunderstorms never stay at a single place for more that half an hour, but it was proved wrong.

Yesterday night while returning home I saw that the sky was clouded over, but it was clear just hours ago and there was some magnificent ligtning bolts which I could observe and it was absolutely amazing, this was around 19:00 hours and then the sky continued flashing for another two hours and at 21:00 hours I started hearing thunder thats normal I thought, but the intensity of the thunder storm grew and at around midnight there was heavy thunder storm with brilliant flashes of light turning the night sky to day and the thunder sound was huge, you might say it is normal, but no this continued for three whole hours and I was scared even to take a video of the thunder storm, now as I write this thread the sun is rising on a clouded sky.

The reason why I statted the thread is to say that I have never seen such a theunderstorm before in life running three entire hours, it kinda shocked me

Anyway all I wanted is the opinion of several brilliants on ats regarding this whether it is just a rare phenomenon or is this going to occur regularly in the future as a reult of global warming.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Everyone knows that thunderstorms never stay at a single place for more that half an hour, but it was proved wrong.

If there is no wind to "push" the thunderstorm it will not move. Thunderstorms generate their own wind. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about general air flow.

Also It is not unusual for severe thunderstorms (as you describe) to last for hours.

Severe thunderstorms can consist of numerous cells, and last several hours.

wiki.answers.com...

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
thanks for the link, I thought that it was the side effect of global warming, now the doubt is cleared.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Thunderstorms generate their own wind.

Me too, I spit when I talk, and I fart when I spit.

As far as the tstorms, as it has already been said, perfectly natural not to move.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yep, here in Oklahoma we get those "lingering" thunderstorms fairly often. Also sometimes they are so huge and are moving so slowly that they just seem to last forever.

Do you love standing out on the porch watching the lightning, listening to the thunder, and feeling the breeze? I do!

top topics

join