It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimbabwe inflation hits 11,200,000 percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Zimbabwe inflation hits 11,200,000 percent

edition.cnn.com

Zimbabwe's inflation rate has soared in the past three months and is now at 11.2 million percent, the highest in the world, according to the country's Central Statistical Office.

Official figures dated Monday show inflation has surged from the rate of 2.2 million percent recorded in May, despite the government's price controls.

The country's finance minister confirmed the new figure in an interview but said the rising inflation rate was not confined to Zimbabwe alone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Fury as Zimbabwe sanctions vetoed
Paddy Ashdown: Military intervention in Zimbabwe 'would be justified'
U.S expands Zimbabwe sanctions
Zimbabwe 'run by military junta'

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It seems as though sanctions not only hurt that government, but it also hurts the innocent people who have no say in what their government does.

What if the world put forth sanctions against the U.S.? It would hurt the American people.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Inflation at 11,200,000, then what might be the cost of a loaf of bread there, oh my I wonder how the people manage there, hope the situation improves there soon.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Don't you think the athletes of Zimbabwe will be able to afford to go back home? Once the athlete arrives back at home. The wife says that she sold the house for a loaf of bread.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
OUCH!! Inflation has gotten pretty high in Zambia as well. There is a lot of turmoil going on in that part of the world that it seems most are unaware of. Of course, the ONLY reason I am aware is bc I have family and friends out that way. Can't imagine working for the equivelent of less than an american dollar a day (as many villagers in Zambia are having to do) and having to pay higher prices for food etc.

According to my parents, if you have anything of value, the best thing you can do is NOT bring it into those countries for the time being. In the last few months, they have had their home broken into 3 times resulting in the death of one of their workers (which was the most tragic) and the loss of two computer systems.

top topics

join