It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for people with sleep paralysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I heard there's sound people here when it happens, I'd like to know what it sounds like.

I heard some people who say their alien abductees say it sounds like a "tractor beam" sound.

I was wondering does it sound similar to this....

and the part that sounds consistant when this is played...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Having experienced what I now believe is sleep paralysis for many years, more so when I was younger. The sensation starts with a sound I find difficult to describe. It can be best explained as an electrical buzz which intensifies fading in and out. Resulting from this, ones consciousness becomes focused and awake whilst the body is asleep. This is quite a disturbing experience but eventually you get used to it.

More often than not you will fade into sleep after the experience but sometimes due to distress you will attempt to waken yourself which can be quite difficult, this is when a degree of panic will set in and you will come to in a cold sweat.

I have experienced the Old hag and the weight on the chest which someone explained is due to the very shallow breathing your body adopts during sleep, coupled with your clear awake thoughts.

For some reason an old hag sitting on your chest is a common experience although my bouts have seen demonic creatures as well. Once you can control your fear you can experience some very er, um, pleasurable experiences as well by directing your thoughts to something less distressing.

Hope this helps

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Spot-on description.

I've found that I can modulate the "electricity". Increase the hertz to a very rapid rate facilitates the OBE phenomenon.

I'd love to experience this all again, I think it's a fascinating trance state and some awesome things can happen within it, but it's been a couple of years since I've experienced it.

Was it like a didjereedoo? No.

[edit on 19/8/08 by Fuggle]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Read Dr. David J. Huffords book, "The Terror that Comes in the Night." He is a Folklorist who teaches at the Milton S. Hershey School of Humanistic Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. It is the best information you will ever be able to find on this topic.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rotwang

Rotwang, thanks for the heads-up. I'll make a note...might have to end up borrowing your copy, though!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I would describe it as a "vibrational buzz", but descriptions of a "roaring" or "rushing" sound aren't inaccurate. I feel the vibration in my neck mostly, but it becomes so intense sometimes that it feels like my whole body is "buzzing".

I will venture to say that it's not entirely unlike it would be if one were to rest their neck on a plumbing fixture with lots of water rushing through it. They'd feel the vibration as the current rushed through the pipe, and hear it too, muffled through the PVC and their skull.

CAN YOU hear the throat singers of Tuva or a didgeridoo during sleep paralysis? You betcha. You can hear almost anything you can imagine in that state. From the soft sweet-nothings of a girl you once knew (AND the feeling of her wet tongue in your ear) to extremely loud, guttural swearing from something ugly and beastly. People hear all kinds of things, pleasant or not. And it's a very real sensation, whatever it actually "is".

I tend to think that the buzz/roar/vibration has more to do with the nervous system (and is quite possibly how it sounds/feels when your consciousness detaches itself from it), and the other auditory sensations are hallucinatory in nature. Or maybe they're caused by something external, that one can only detect while in that state.

[Edit - to add:]

This has reminded me of one of my fears regarding sleep paralysis. I have experienced the same roaring/buzzing from passing out a couple times in my life. It makes me wonder if I may be apneatic, and my 'sleep-paralysis' and 'buzzing' is just from a lack of oxygen. Haven't died in my sleep yet - that I know of.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by Teratoma]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The sound is somewhat like the first video, but more like electrical static...the soet of sound that would accompany a 'snowy' tv picture. It's sounds nothing like the second video.

I discovered the more I struggled to move, the louder the buzzing became and if I relaxed my muscles the sound quitened down to the initial tone.

The second time it happened I managed to say "Jesus" through clenched teeth and automatically my arms that I had been trying to move flung apart and I was awake.

The third time it happened was more difficult as my lip were closed. My fingers were near my mouth and I managed to move my fingers slowly toward my mouth so that I could part my lips and call out the name of Jesus. It seemed to take forever like I was moving 1mm per second, but as my fingers touched my lips, I again 'flung apart' if you understand what I mean (because I was clenching my muscles)

It's pretty damn scary, but at least I know the cure now

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma
I have experienced the same roaring/buzzing from passing out a couple times in my life.

It happened once to me too. As my vission was going dim, the buzzing grew louder. Initially I thought the noise was coming from the ceiling fan, but when I came to, I wasn't so sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer007
The sound is somewhat like the first video, but more like electrical static...the soet of sound that would accompany a 'snowy' tv picture. It's sounds nothing like the second video.

Oh yeah! I was gonna make that analogy too. It definitely has a "white noise" feel to it.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
oh man the first video sums it up well it's like the sound of a mantra, a humming sound (humm or ohmmm) and it fades in and out.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The noises I hear in sleep paralysis are pretty random, sometimes it's like a jet, sometimes it's like mechanical gears grinding together, always different but I can totally relate to the first video.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I get it all the time, and for me it is an extremely intense rushing sound, almost like wind roaring past your ears with bits of an electrical sound or buzzing mixed in. During this state, when I really concentrate I can feel myself sort of surging forward through space/time, like I'm completely out of control, but really I'm just laying in my bed, if that makes sense? Kind of like being on a roller coaster from hell, but 100 times faster, while every bend and turn inevitably moves your body and your head this way and that, and you are helpless to control any of it.

It sounds absolutely nothing like either of these 2 videos.

In terms of the accompanying paralysis, that comes either before or after the surging feeling and loud sounds for me. I have had some of the most horrifying experiences of my life during this event (please reference some of my other posts for detail on my experiences), but you can learn to control it and turn it into other things. Most people struggle against it, and eventually through willpower can break free, just takes a few seconds to minutes, but can feel like eternity. The really interesting part comes when you succumb to the feeling and let the experience and the pure dread envelope you. "Give in" to the power of it so to speak.

I was so scared to do that the first time b/c it honestly felt like I was about to die or worse... My eye was partially open during my paralysis and all of the amplified noises, along with the frightening visual hallucinations that I could see (again reference my other posts), began to slowly fade out of existence, as I was being enveloped by pure emptiness / nothingness. There came a moment of decision, a point of no return sort of that I knew if I kept going I couldn't fight my way free, I'd be in too deep. At the last possible instant I fought free and had a struggle of epic proportions, literally. Finally i woke up in a soaking wet, freezing cold sweat.

After a few months or year or 2 I slowly played around with it and discovered some incredible and amazing things that you can do and that you can harness while experiencing sleep paralysis. If you'd like to know more you can just ask or U2U me. You can feel the experience coming, and when you do, you have a decision to make. Fight it or give in. One time I finally gave in and just let myself be consumed. That is when all the strange and weird, yet incredible things happened.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Ajax]

new topics

top topics

join