It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam still has MIAS/POWS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Since the Vietnam war ended back in '75, the US has failed to locate over 2000 POWS and MIAs. Doesn't this sound like they still had some left over since the war ended? Most of them would be dead by now, but some might be still alive. If anyone can give me any serious info, I'd appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ranger;

I have thought about that too. My father (2 1/2 years in Veitnam) told me some stories. Some were killed and never found, some just walked away in the jungle, but he thought most just deserted. It would not surprise me to find out there are some still being held. Just look what happened to CMD Micheal Spiecher from GW1.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Does your dad know anything more about the POWs in Nam?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ranger;

He never really talked about it too much. When issues like these were discussed he always thought that the ones who did walk away or deserted were not really worth caring about.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks...I mean I know what it feels like to have your buddies walk out on you...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
HI.

I don't have any specific information as you are looking for but this has always been a subject that haunted me. My father did 2 tours in Vietnam and he always held the attitude that you bring everyone back. The dead, injured, even people who lost their minds in battle.

I have heard rumors through the years that people in Vietnam have seen POWs working on privately held farms. They were in essence forced labor. Some wondered if they even knew the war had ended, but assumed they had as there were no more bombs going off etc. According to rumors, every time someone has seen the POWs they were moved to another location.

I tend to agree with you, that most of them would have passed away by now due to the lack of medical treatment and the harsh living conditions, but if a 19 year old was captured in say 1973 he would be 54 today, so it is conceivable there could be some still alive. I have also hear of soldiers who just walked into the jungle and were never seen again. They either assimilated to life in Vietnam and became citizens or they also died or were captured.

I pray that anyone that was captured and left behind has been relieved of their suffering as I just can't imagine what it would feel like to be left by my country in a foreign land knowing my captors were never going to be held accountable and were never going to let me go.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... Here is an issue that both McCain and Kerry wolud love to see go away.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
North Vietnam only repatriated half of the POW's. They kept the rest because they were waiting for us to come through with the war reparations we had promised them. When the Nixon government renegged on the reparations, Vietnam kept the rest of the prisoners.

top topics

join