It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predictions of "ice free" summer for first time in history completely debunked

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Predictions of "ice free" summer for first time in history completely debunked

www.prisonplanet.com

Alarmist scientists who predicted that the North Pole could be “ice free” this summer as a result of global warming have been embarrassed after it was revealed that Arctic ice has actually grown by around 30 per cent in the year since August 2007.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Once again another dire prediction by Al Gore and his gang is proved to be wrong. Al Gore is a fraud and a scam artist. He is making millions selling "carbon offsets" to people and it is all based on lies.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is a lie!!! It has to be!!! This is a govt. coverup so they could find an excuse to maintain the status quo without having to bow down international demands to reduce carbon emissions. I know it!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
This is a lie!!! It has to be!!! This is a govt. coverup so they could find an excuse to maintain the status quo without having to bow down international demands to reduce carbon emissions. I know it!!!

Even if it is true, there is still significant reason to reduce carbon emissions in the world. Anyone who's been to Los Angeles will agree

[edit on 8/19/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Could be does not mean the same as will be

And in any case, who actually said this year could see an ice free Arctic?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's funny how we aren't supposed to trust scientists yet we are being asked to trust annoymous internet posters.

This annoymous internet poster recommends you read this article from Canada about global warming and tax shifting. It is one of the best synopsises on global warming I have read recently.

Harperite's fear mongering.... Canadian News source on Global warming and tax shifting

Unless greenhouse gas levels globally begin to come down by 2015, the planet faces an irreversible course to run-away global warming.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Scientists from the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado stated that the North Pole could be ice free by the end of this summer.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The interesting thing about climate change is that it is changing all the time. You "debunkers" have the same problem you accuse those who pay head to global warming of having. Namely, just when you think you have nailed the coffin shut on "the debate" global warming rears its ugly head once again.

'Unprecedented' melt sinks hope for Arctic ice recovery

The Arctic Ocean ice cover, which appeared earlier this summer to be headed for a moderate recovery after last year's record-setting retreat, has begun disintegrating so rapidly in recent weeks that experts now say the ice loss by mid-September could exceed even 2007's history-making meltdown.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
"could be" is not an Absolute tho, its a possibility

the ice "could" disappear, or it "could" not disappear

see? its all speculation of possibilities

dont be so hard on them, it was a speculation lol

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

To quote the CNN article you posted a link too:

It's a 50-50 bet that the thin Arctic sea ice, which was frozen in autumn, will completely melt away at the geographic North Pole, Serreze said.

So let me ask you, did you think it meant ALL ice in the artic could be gone or did you think it meant the trans arctic shipping lanes could be ice free?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wow, way to put me into a bind, OP. On one hand we have further deconstruction of the pseudo science surrounding the falacy of man caused global climate change, which I would ordinarily print out and have turned into a needlepoint suitable for framing & proud display. On the other hand, the report comes from Alex Jones, who we know is a charlitan, rumor spreader, and liar (I prefaced it with "we know, so it must be true, Jones supporters!). Oh well, good thing we have far more reliable news sources over the past couple of years demonstrating global climate change is an ongoing, historically continuous natural process and our high CO2 output has illogically coresponded with both extreme highs and extreme lows in temperature... something which can't be possible if there was a connection between CO2 & temperature.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Although the arctic ice has not disappeared, as some who study it believed might be the case, their concerns have not been "completely debunked". You have ignored the issue of the thickness of the ice-cap, which has a major effect on the likelihood of the ice disappearing in the near future. In other words, if the ice is becoming thinner it becomes much more likely that the arctic will be ice-free at some point in coming years.

Here is a succinct summary of this core issue (pardon the pun), provided by Iggus in another thread:

The continued loss of Arctic summer sea ice has been an ongoing recent trend and seems to be continuing this year. The ice areal coverage in the winter 07 period was larger than the previous year but this new ice was only thin first year ice, not the thck stuff that take years to form, and thus melts very quickly in comparison. The current rate of melting is faster than in previous years probabley due to this thin ice. It is concievable that the Arctic could become summer ice free this year and if not then probably in a few years if current trends continue. This of course doesn't mean that there won't be ice in the winter and it won't affect the global sea level as the ice isn't on land.

Source: www.abovetopsecret.com...

No prediction that is affected by seasonal weather forecasts will ever be water-tight. In this case the science indicated the possibility of an ice-free arctic this summer, which has not transpired. But by claiming this prediction has been debunked you are missing the heart of the matter: the trend. A year here or there is nothing in the context of climate change, which is inexorably moving in the direction of globally higher annual average temperatures.

The FACT is that there was, and remains a real possibility that we will see an arctic free of summer ice in the near future, and that this is just one of many indications that climate change is real.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
"could be" is not an Absolute tho, its a possibility

the ice "could" disappear, or it "could" not disappear

see? its all speculation of possibilities

dont be so hard on them, it was a speculation lol

My butt could magically start producing gold ingots... that doesn't mean my family should all quit their jobs in preparation of sharing the wealth.

We've got a large percentage of brainwashed sheep in our population who have pushed for capping our growth and have tried to force through measures that have harmed our economy and seriously handcuffed us from easily getting out of the financial quagmire we're currently in as a nation... over speculation of possibillities being passed off as factual scientific evidence. There is no more solid evidence that man's activities are impacting the temperature on this planet than there is solid evidence that dogs will one day give birth to kittens.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This discussion however is about *this* summer, not about the years to come.
As such, debunked is debunked. If they say it could've happened this summer but it didn't, it doesn't matter whether it will happen next year or the year after that.

*it did not happen this summer*.

Of course with ''doesn't matter'' I do not mean that it's ok if all the ice melts next year or the year after that. I mean that it doesn't matter to what is being discussed here, which is about *now*, *this summer*.

[edit on 19/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

If you are concerned about being pedantic, it may not happen this summer - although bear in mind stikkinikki's word of warning that no-one can be sure until the end of September:

'Unprecedented' melt sinks hope for Arctic ice recovery

But surely you can see that what matters is not whether it happens this year or in the next few years, but that it is likely to happen at all?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The FACT is that there was, and remains a real possibility that we will see an arctic free of summer ice in the near future, and that this is just one of many indications that climate change is real.

Isn't using fact and possibility in the same sentence contradictory?

Is it also a FACT that it could be possible that the earth is in a cooling trend and there will be a new ice age in the near future?

Dearth Of Sunspot Activity To Herald New Ice Age?
www.propagandamatrix.com...

My point is that nobody can predict the future. NOBODY really knows what is going to happen 20 yrs from now.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
On one hand we have further deconstruction of the pseudo science surrounding the falacy of man caused global climate change, which I would ordinarily print out and have turned into a needlepoint suitable for framing & proud display.

I would expect nothing less from you.

... and our high CO2 output has illogically coresponded with both extreme highs and extreme lows in temperature... something which can't be possible if there was a connection between CO2 & temperature.

I don't understand the contradiction in the patterns matching so closely. Care to explain this in more detail? You can skip the needlepoint if you want. I am really interested.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Global warming happens if Mankind is present on this Planet or not, one day i promise you the Earth will return to a state of tropical climate in the Northern Hemisphere, just as has happened many many times before, and when that has ended, an ice sheet miles deep will cover the exact same area all the way down to north Africa.

The difference from when it happened the last time and now?

We have greedy Humans determined that they can make a fortune off the population by convincing them it is their fault.

Sure CO2 emissions can and probably will speed the process up, it does not alter the fact that it is Nature who is in control of the whole deal, always has been and always will be.

The Greatest disease this Planet has ever seen is Humans, modern day Mankind will become the shortest living species ever seen in the history of Planet Earth, and be honest do we deserve any better?

Last week when the story broke about the dead Bigfoot, somewhere there where people cleaning their rifles, drinking beer and talking about going into the forests to kill as many as they could, thankfully it looks like a hoax, my point is, we don't seem to be able to control our urge to destroy or kill anything and everything, and no matter how smart or intelligent we tell ourselves we are, if Mother Nature doesn't want something or even us there, she will eventually get rid of us or it.

Very sad but true.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Isn't using fact and possibility in the same sentence contradictory?

Not at all. It is a fact that scientific data have been presented that show a trend towards the thinning and reduction of the ice. Interpretation of data, especially with respect to climate, is an imprecise process. But just because there can be no certainty does not mean that the data can be ignored!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Fact - Global warming is not happening. The earth is cooling down.

"A top observatory that has been measuring sun cycles for over 200 years predicts that global temperatures will drop by two degrees over the next two decades as solar activity grinds to a halt and the planet drastically cools down, potentially heralding the onset of a new ice age.

While the mass media, Al Gore and politicized bodies like the IPCC scaremonger about the perils of global warming and demand the poor and middle class pay CO2 taxes, both hard scientific data and circumstantial evidence points to a clear cooling trend."

Source: www.propagandamatrix.com...

I have also noticed how Al Gore and his gang of scammers have stopped using the term "man made global warming" and replaced it with "man made climate change" since it has been proven that the earth has actually been cooling off for the past 10 years.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join