It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Ratio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am proposing an idea to the developers of ATS for an idea that I have had regarding the star system.

Would it be possible to create a star-to-post ratio that can be placed in the members profile. I am aware there have been many posts regarding the star system, such as giving negative stars, red stars, etc. However, this is different because in no way to it reduce the credibility of a member, it only records over time the number of stars-to-posts that the user has obtained.

Using this information there could be rankings (if necessary) for the highest ratios. Rankings could be used for numerous ATS events or purely for fun.

If anything, this system would reduce the number of 1 line posts because such posts don't receive stars, and members that are actually concerned about their ratio would not post pointless replies.

Either way this forum system is incredible and is always being improved. Thanks ATS developers, you guys rock

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What about people who've posted hundreds and thousands of times before the star feature was put in? Those posts don't have stars, and that would kinda screw up the ratio.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

The new system would most likely begin recording the statistics once it is in place. I am sure there are MANY variables to something like this, it may be impossible to even implement depending on how the star system was developed.

However, I thought it was a good idea that would reduce the number of spam, one line, and pointless posts that is an ongoing and increasing ATS problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That's pretty much what the coloured lines in our mini-profiles do. Although I think it's an applause vs. threads started vs. posts ratio. Although no-one knows for sure what the colours mean. The secret formula is hidden in a safe in the Pentagon as far as my knowledge goes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Oh thats what those silly lines are!
Well then perhaps there is a way to revamp the line system to something a little more clear! Not that I don't like the pretty colors, I just never really understood them.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

Actually, that's hackable. All you need is a little circle of people, who all have agreed to give lots of stars to each other's posts...

Here's an alternate proposal: a "Random Post" button on the button bar.

This would take a member to a random post from the last 24 hours, in-location in its thread. On that particular post, as well a little 'alert', 'u2u', etc buttons, there would also be four other little 'rating' buttons, for that post only: '
', '
', '
', and '
'. You could click one, and be taken to another random post. Each member could rate up to, say, 20 posts a day that way.

This would be a good feature for two reasons: first, random post is neat, it adds entropy to ATS browsing, and would let people find topics that they may be interested in that they wouldn't otherwise click into.

Second, the simple up/down data (a 1-4 rating) could be used to unhackably generate an average 'post quality' rating that could be displayed in the avatar area. A simple 'quality percentage', with a margin of error.

The back-end calculation of such is a little complex, though. It involves not only ranking each poster, based on how the viewers' ratings, but also rating each viewer, based on how well their rating reflect the emergent overall consensus of quality. What emerges is that members who idea of quality better reflect the overall idea of quality, from all the members, have more 'weight' in their ranking, when applying to a particular poster. This avoids 'clusters' of like-opinionated members from dominating the system.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I do like your idea of the random post button. However, it would only work by linking you to the OP which is currently ranked by the number flags it receives. I was trying to find a way that individual posts, or replies, could be ranked. Many times the most important information in a thread is not coming from the OP, but rather 14 or 15 pages into the post where someone without a lot of time would not even see it.

The hackable situation is definitely a problem, however if there were no actual rewards for having a high ratio other than the satisfaction of knowing the information you posted was useful or helpful then I don't think many people would even bother wasting their time. For the most part, it would only make clear if a user posts a lot of useless information.

However I do like the idea of a random post button, I could definitely see myself using it on a rainy day, and it would be a great way to hit up the archives.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
If anything, this system would reduce the number of 1 line posts because such posts don't receive stars, and members that are actually concerned about their ratio would not post pointless replies.

I like your idea, but it probably wouldn't work out for some of the ways you hope it does.

For one, even though I know one line posts aren't really allowed, and I avoid making them myself, I sometimes star a oneliner that was a humorous reply. It gave me a chuckle so I starred it. OR the oneliner had a lot to say in it's short response that I agreed with.

Also, although I like receiving stars, I don't word my replies to be star-worthy - as in I don't need to make what I say agreeable to others and be a 'Star'. I may fully expect that what I say will not be liked. Sometimes I've made a post I thought should have got a star (because I did extensive research for it) and didn't receive any. Other times I've been starred and wondered why! I know some people are all about getting points, but truly it's not my personal agenda.

Off topic, I don't like the flagging system showing which threads I flagged. I flagged one by mistake and am stuck with it being on display. So because of that, I don't flag threads I really would like to flag now. Although I may flag sooner or later again ... I just feel flagging should be a private opinion kept to one's self.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by violet]

top topics

join