It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Publishing Anonymously, Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Alright, lets say I had some experiences to retell and/or information I'd like to share, albeit anonymously. In the the form of a book publication. A pen name is the first thing that comes to mind but it always seems like the people behind the pen names get revealed... maybe it's only the more famous people?

What actually happens in that kind of situation? I mean is it only because observant readers recognize the author's style and it eventually gets around? Or is there a more active/direct way of rooting the author out that people pursue just for the sake of exposing him/her?

What I want to put out doesn't have me hiding from say, the government because it all took place quite a long time ago.. but rather it would negatively impact my career if I was associated with this kind of thing in a public way and so I would otherwise need to wait until I retire I guess.. (loooong ways away).

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

"Go Ask Alice" a required reading book in high school was published anonymously. You would need an agent, and they would keep your name out of it. The agent would collect royalties and other fees for you.

There are many books published anonymously, but you could get a pen name instead if you want to publish more than one book.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

"Go Ask Alice" a required reading book in high school was published anonymously. You would need an agent, and they would keep your name out of it. The agent would collect royalties and other fees for you.

There are many books published anonymously, but you could get a pen name instead if you want to publish more than one book.

Hmm thanks a lot for the info! I didn't realize it was a common occurrence.. Have you published anything yourself? Out of curiosity.. unless of course it's a secret

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

No, and if I did I would use my real name. There is an interesting period in my life I have thought about making into a novel (changing the names of the participants). I think everyone has thought about writing a novel.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

You mean like a memoir? I've started mine actually
Under my own name, or that would be somewhat of a waste of time I would think..

I figured I should write down the first 1/3 of my life while it's fresh rather than wait till I'm 60 and try to recount the whole thing accurately. I don't plan to publish that until I'm actually through the majority of what I want to accomplish in this life though.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE but rather it would negatively impact my career if I was associated with this kind of thing in a public way and so I would otherwise need to wait until I retire I guess.. (loooong ways away).

Well Mr. Crichton,

You could always forfeit all profits and contribute it to the Creative Commons.
creativecommons.org...

-

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE but rather it would negatively impact my career if I was associated with this kind of thing in a public way and so I would otherwise need to wait until I retire I guess.. (loooong ways away).

Well Mr. Crichton,

You could always forfeit all profits and contribute it to the Creative Commons.
creativecommons.org...

-

He did Sphere didn't he? Didn't know that wasn't his real name

Welllll... I might not need the recognition but I'd like a little something for my time

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
pick a pen name, or nom de plume and you should be all set. Many have done it in the past.

Some famous pseudonyms:
Man Ray
Lemony Snicket
Richard Bachman

etc.

musicians do it to. Sting, Elton John etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

unfortunately, in the digital age, the odds of discovery are a bit greater but you might still be able to pull it off.

top topics

join