It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO freezes Russian ties over Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

NATO freezes Russian ties over Georgia

news.yahoo.com

BRUSSELS (Reuters) – NATO agreed after U.S. pressure on Tuesday to freeze regular contacts with Russia until Moscow had withdrawn its troops from Georgia in line with a peace deal.

The alliance also agreed to upgrade contacts with Tbilisi but stopped short of accelerating its efforts to join NATO, an ambition which had enraged Russia even before the two-week-old conflict over Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I can't help but think this as pretty significant. Now, to see what transpires. I think, and this sounds so generic, it could go either very well, or very bad.

Hmmmm.... I'm going to go read it again.

Cuhail

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
and I hope that in response , Russia starts supplying to advanced weapons to the brave iraqi resistance , whos fighting the cowardly and imperialist genocidal forces of USA

NATO is daring enough to try insult Russia , sooner or later it will pay the price

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why would NATO care if Russia supplied arms to Iraqi terrorists? It would not effect NATO members in the least bit, it would only help America. It would solidify opinion of a new cold war. It would also get those Iraqi terrorists killed faster. Instead of hiding in holes and garbage dumps they would foolishly confront US forces being emboldened with their new weapons and die in droves.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 19-8-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
and so will US forces , like how they died in droves in Vietnam

anyways , supplying weapons to afghan and iraqi resistance will give Russia excellent opportunity to bankrupt US economy and bog down US and NATO forces

[edit on 19-8-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Exactly how much NATO forces excluding the US are in Iraq and Afg. ? Can probably count them on one hand. Your logic is flawed, NATO would start spending like mad on defense which is the opposite of bogged down. The US will just kill them terrorists as soon as they pop their heads up out of the sand. You would get a lot of dead terrorists a few US casuallties which will not vary from the norm and a NATO that will start arming themselves to the teeth. Russia gains nothing and your hero's would be all getting picked clean by vultures in the sand.
Your advocation of violence is puzzling since your sympathies lie with the side that would lose the most.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Found a related article.

NATO pulls its punches on penalty against Russia

BRUSSELS, Belgium – NATO pulled its punches against Russia on Tuesday, suspending formal contacts as punishment for the Georgia invasion but bucking U.S. pressure for more severe penalties.

The Russian Ambassador to NATO played down the impact of the emergency meeting of the Western alliance.

"The mountain gave birth to a mouse," said Dmitry Rogozin.

Although the allies said they would not convene any more meetings of the NATO-Russia Council until Russian troops withdraw from Georgia, they bowed to concerns from Europe — which depends heavily on Russia for energy — and stopped short of adopting specific long-term steps to punish Moscow for its actions.

NATO pulls its punches on penalty against Russia

Much the same.
Different words.
Same intent though.

This is what NATO does, though, isn't it. This is what it's for. My only concern is the "rating" they give certain situations. Shows bias, IMHO.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Doesn't sound like much of a freeze in ties if EU nations are still weaning energy off the teats of mother Russia.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight

Exactly how much NATO forces excluding the US are in Iraq and Afg. ? Can probably count them on one hand. Your logic is flawed, NATO would start spending like mad on defense which is the opposite of bogged down. The US will just kill them terrorists as soon as they pop their heads up out of the sand. You would get a lot of dead terrorists a few US casuallties which will not vary from the norm and a NATO that will start arming themselves to the teeth. Russia gains nothing and your hero's would be all getting picked clean by vultures in the sand.
Your advocation of violence is puzzling since your sympathies lie with the side that would lose the most.

seems , like people forget , what happened to Israel in 2006 and USSR in afghan war

Exactly how much NATO forces excluding the US are in Iraq and Afg. ? Can probably count them on one hand. Your logic is flawed, NATO would start spending like mad on defense which is the opposite of bogged down. The US will just kill them terrorists as soon as they pop their heads up out of the sand.

Soviets literally did the same thing and look what happened they collapsed ....

West damaged USSR through proxy wars , trade and economic development , not weapons

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

So now you are saying the EU would collapse in an arms race with Russia. Russia is a lot smaller and with way fewer resources than the Soviet Union had and you are right, they did collapse in an arms race vs the US. But now your logic comes along and states that a smaller Russia can win an arms race vs the west which includes the US and the EU which didn't even exist during the cold war. Please explain how this could be possible without divine intervention or aliens or anything like that.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Is it "who is going to blink first" game? I am starting to seriously consider the idea that on both sides there are people who really want another cold war. Military industry,certain politicians and other interested people are pushing now this ball up the hill, so it will come down by itself unstoppable. I have no other explanation for what is going on. Interests of simple people in all those sides involved (Georgia, Russia,EU, US...) are being constantly ignored and decisions made are almost always in the direction that will deepen the conflict but not cause serious military conflict. Georgia is being provoked by cynical Russian games, and maybe creates its own provocations - but no serious incidents. Then Georgia attacks (in hopes of what exactly?) but not really try to seal the only way by which strong Russian reinforcements can get in. Russians respond ,push Georgian forces out and invade Georgia proper staying there, but not enter capital. US/EU/NATO are pressuring/threatening Russia (sticks) but fail to propose anything in return (carrot), thus denying those political forces in Russia that want to stop and not escalate conflict further any hope to have the upper hand in inner struggle in Russian political circles. I can only say - ????????
I do not remember a lot from previous cold war, but it is not what i would like to experience. Better then real ww3, of course. A lot worse then what we had till now.
Edit - missed a word.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well it doesn't look good.One minute Russia is a friend then they get snobbed.
This could be going down a very dark road.
But then again nothing may come of it and Russia might just say oh well whatever.

Originally posted by manson_322
and I hope that in response , Russia starts supplying to advanced weapons to the brave iraqi resistance , whos fighting the cowardly and imperialist genocidal forces of USA

I cant believe, you just said, you hope Russia sells weapons to illegal criminal terrorists to kill American soldiers in Iraq.
Am I reading this correctly?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Yes you are. That type of sentiment is about the only thing that comes out of that posters mouth. He is the first person I've ignored in my entire time on ATS. I initially labeled him a FOE, but that implied that I respected him. I took him of ignore briefly so that I could debate in my head adding anyone who would label him a friend.

I was hoping for a stronger sentiment out of NATO myself, but it appears that the legacy of Chamberlain is alive and well in Europe. Germany who was the main cheerleader along with the US for inclusion of Poland in NATO seems to be the largest barrier. I find it hypocritic of them now that they have a buffer between them and the Bear, to be an obstructionist in NATO expansion.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
But then again nothing may come of it and Russia might just say oh well whatever.

I cant believe, you just said, you hope Russia sells weapons to illegal criminal terrorists to kill American soldiers in Iraq.

ayup, apparently we got ourselves a bonafide terrorist here, yet not one dedicated enough to strap the suit of forty virgins on since he is still posting.
This is fascinating, a real live terrorist here on ATS, complete with his own version of how the world turns.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

why do you justify letting any human being regardless of nationality die? by arming Iraqi's and other people willing to fight against the US is only playing in to the US hands. The people in charge of this country want to send their young over to those countries to fight and find resistance. The more resistance the more excuses they have to send more people or spend more money. THEY WANT THEM TO FIGHT BACK. When are people going to learn violence does not trump violence it only leads to even more vicious violence.

Your just as bad as any american politician who willingly sends out other people to do their fighthing and just as bad as the small groups of people who will use religion to justify a war. Your not helping anything or anyone just making this world full of more hate and violence.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It is funny, Americans can talk all the trash they want, when they are not directly affected. Tough sanctions on Russia do no real short term harm to the US, but it does to the European countries that rely on Russia for their energy supplies. Is the US going to give them the energy they will need to keep going once Russia turns off that tap? No, of course they won't. The US needs to just sit down and STFU on this issue. It is no concern of theirs. Americans constantly tell others that are not directly involved to shut it, now it their turn.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

anyways , supplying weapons to afghan and iraqi resistance will give Russia excellent opportunity to bankrupt US economy and bog down US and NATO forces

??

American's died in "droves" in Vietnam because there was no strategy, and the Vietcong where good fighters ..

Iraqi's .. well.. war it turns out just isn't their thing.. sure they can blow up a market full of women, but they can't seem to actually win any soldier to soldier fighting.

If Russia sent them ... err.. what would Russia send them? more 20 year old AK's .. right .. well it wouldn't do any good. (most weapons used by "terrorist"/fighters/what ever, are in fact black market Russian weapons.)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight

Originally posted by Interestinggg

ayup, apparently we got ourselves a bonafide terrorist here, yet not one dedicated enough to strap the suit of forty virgins on since he is still posting.
This is fascinating, a real live terrorist here on ATS, complete with his own version of how the world turns.

terrorist lol ..... ///

i am against the US imperial occupation and genocide it inflicts on third world countries ....

the only 'terrorist'(actually freedom fighter fighting the CIA terrorists) i deeply respect is Ernesto Che Guevera , after all his legacy in the fight against american genocidal imperialism inspires millions ,

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

??

American's died in "droves" in Vietnam because there was no strategy, and the Vietcong where good fighters ..

Iraqi's .. well.. war it turns out just isn't their thing.. sure they can blow up a market full of women, but they can't seem to actually win any soldier to soldier fighting.

If Russia sent them ... err.. what would Russia send them? more 20 year old AK's .. right .. well it wouldn't do any good. (most weapons used by "terrorist"/fighters/what ever, are in fact black market Russian weapons.)

forgot , what Rpg-29 and kornets in the hands of Hezobollah did to the Israeli military Goliath

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

and really, isn't this

and wasn't USA/CIA propaganda during Cold war calling them good ,pious brave mujhideen fighting 'evil commies ' and stupid indians ehh???

So now you are saying the EU would collapse in an arms race with Russia. Russia is a lot smaller and with way fewer resources than the Soviet Union had and you are right, they did collapse in an arms race vs the US. But now your logic comes along and states that a smaller Russia can win an arms race vs the west which includes the US and the EU which didn't even exist during the cold war. Please explain how this could be possible without divine intervention or aliens or anything like that

no, reread my post , i stated that Russia should win the economic war, not useless arms race, anyways Russia has several assymetric methods for dealing effectively in the arms race

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join