It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
God is good, god is great, god is infinitely merciful – or at least that’s what everyone tells me when they send me emails telling me I’m going to burn in hell forever. This great good god has personally drowned millions of people. He’s killed people for infractions as miner as simply looking in the wrong direction. If god created everything then he is personally responsible for the Ebola virus, the Bubonic Plague, flesh eating bacteria and bad breath. If that’s good then what’s evil?

What action could god commit or what action could god do that you would consider evil? – What actions would be evil or immoral if committed by god?

[edit on 19-8-2008 by andre18]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's clear that you have had your share of confrontations in this area.

I suspect that your paradigm for 'God' does not agree with theirs.

If God meets the criterion of being beyond our capability to comprehend, then we can't really expect human morals to be of relevance to God. If we accept that God has a 'personality' and is, in some way, 'made in our image' (that's a pun or something), then you're rigt to expect some meaningful understanding of why 'He/She/It/They/We' allow it to be so.

The real question is centered around something you seem to want to accept 'axiomatically', namely; God is a 'person' with a personality and likeness to us. Is this correct?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Since I am an Atheist, I don't believe in God, so that should answer the question right away. The Bible and gods behaviour contradicts itself constantly. This doesn't even include the idea of other gods that "existed" before the Judeo-Christian god and all the horrible things they did, like demand human sacrifice.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It doesn’t matter what I think god is, it can be anything you want it to be – what god is supposedly, is irrelevant because no matter what it is, it has created us and this universe. Which means it’s accountable for everything that happens whether those actions are good or bad.
The problem being if everything is a result of god then god is both good and bad, and just some great infinitely merciful father figure who spreads love and joy. Of course if that’s the case then all the bad if not evil things god has ever done would make him a monster.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here are the answers:

God is both good and evil and He is beyond them, above them, making Him perfect. Unite good and evil and you get God if you wish, good and bad, man and woman, etc.

Why does God let bad things happen? Because he offered us all free will. God respects our decision as if it were His. He suffers with us together, because we are One ultimately, we are all perfection.

Suffering as material things are only an illusion, they are not permanent. The only thing permanent and eternal is Love. Love is actually the sum of all feelings, good and bad, this is God again.

Evil/Devil is nothing but another name for God, in our ignorance we couldn't understand evil and we made a God aka Devil for it as we did for good aka God. There is only one, which is all.

But for you to understand this, you have to understand that life on Earth is just one tiny bit of who you truly are. We are much more than what we think we are and we are eternal, because we are part of God.

There is a need for much awareness and consciousness to see beyond classic religions and see the real truth, it is hidden, but it is there, God speaks to you in each second of your life, each experience is like a message from God. Ask and you shall recieve, but know how to ask and be aware of the outcomes.

If your religion teaches fear and a vengeful God ("you are born in sin" etc.), then I'll tell you that it is a bias and wrong view of God, although that is also a part of him, it is the smallest one. The lower your awareness level and consciousness get the more "evil" God becomes and life itself.

Ultimately it is all Love, but until we arrive there we need to experience all the feelings that make up love: anger, fear, happiness, compasion, altruism, egoism, etc. All the feelings that you know and don't know yet.

So enjoy the ride, and remember it is all about you and your choises, but ultimately be relaxed, you will reach your purpose and goal in life, to be what you are, God/Love/One with all.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
God is good, god is great, god is infinitely merciful – or at least that’s what everyone tells me when they send me emails telling me I’m going to burn in hell forever. This great good god has personally drowned millions of people. He’s killed people for infractions as miner as simply looking in the wrong direction. If god created everything then he is personally responsible for the Ebola virus, the Bubonic Plague, flesh eating bacteria and bad breath. If that’s good then what’s evil?

What action could god commit or what action could god do that you would consider evil? – What actions would be evil or immoral if committed by god?

[edit on 19-8-2008 by andre18]

Im confused are you saying that people should live forever or something.

and im a big believer in God and i believe everything happens for a reason, all part of the plan if you like.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pericle

"Why does God let bad things happen? Because he offered us all free will. God respects our decision as if it were His. He suffers with us together, because we are One ultimately, we are all perfection."

He gave us free will....c'mon?

tell that to the guys in Soddom and gommorah

Or the Egyptians who god killed after he closed the red sea on them.... or many other instances of god being actively involved.

Free will

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

When you really stop and think about it, the whole thing seems like a set up from the start.

Why create beings that are obviously so doomed to failure?

Why bring life about only to destroy it?

What is the purpose of this hateful test that we call life? If god is perfect then what purpose does this serve for him/her/it to see us all suffer?

If there is a god he has one sick sense of humor.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

That's the point, there isn't...

And as you say if there is, he/she's one sick individual, cruel, barbaric and totally psychotic...

i don't think life is a test, life is your life.
Make the most of it and do all you can.... i don't believe that's it once we die, maybe reincarnation or maybe our energy goes back into the earth or whatever, but i wouldn't be doing or not doing anything specifically for god....because you will waste your life...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
God, or the countless gods we've spawned from our imaginations on this planet, are all derived from the reflections of ourselves.

By most Western Standards, God is most always anthropomorphic, a benevolent yet vengeful being who made us in his image. Are we not both good and evil?

Hence, God is a mirror, a look into the nature of humanity itself. While God may represent all of the most virtuous attributes we hold dear, he also possesses the fury and wrath we instinctively cringe from.

God is emotion. God is you.

*laughs* I'm feeling awfully philosophical today and this post really helped me exercise the brain.

I prefer to think of myself as chaotic neutral.

Cheers to you all!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pericle
God is both good and evil and He is beyond them, above them, making Him perfect.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. How can god be good and evil and not at the same time? Either he is evil or he isn't.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
@ blupblup

The answer is that those so called "Gods" you read about in the Bible or other myths such as the greek Gods are not God in its purest form, they are just manifestations, parts of God, as you are or me. Some of them are very advanced aliens or spiritual beings, but not necessary God, also they can be negative manifestations.

There is an equal measure of Good and Evil in the world, in perfect ballance. To make it easy think of it this way: -1 (evil) + 1 (good) = 0 (God=omniprezent, omniscient, everything)

Even Hitler is another manifestation of God, and he went to Heaven. He is no different from any other human, some of his choises might be bad, but in a holistic way his actions were permited by humanity and necessary at the same time.

@ andre18

Again you are trying to understand God as a one sided being, he is everything. He cannot be only Good or Evil. He is both. Why? Because he is in every human and life form in the universe, some of those life forms (Hitler) did very "bad" things (from our prespective) some did very good things (Jesus).

He is both Jesus and Hitler, he is in them as he is in every thing possible imagined. Without him it would be impossible to exist.

Try to imagine God as a woman, as a child, as a drug addict as anything you can imagine. He is everything. Make this mental excercise and try to see God as a woman and not a Man, it is a bit strange for a western person to do that.

God cannot be only a male, that is very ignorant and wrong to believe. See Him as a woman. That will change things in your mind.

If you have any more question I am open to them.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. How can god be good and evil and not at the same time? Either he is evil or he isn't.

Well that doesnt make sense are you in your lifetime ALWAYS good or ALWAYS evil no you can be both maybe sometimes at the same time.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
while I DO NOT believe in "god" I will offer a quote from the movie "Constantine"

"god is a kid with an ant farm"

if there is a god.....he/she/it is an indifferent, apathetic loser who could not give a damn about anything other than himself/herself/itself.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Well that doesnt make sense are you in your lifetime ALWAYS good or ALWAYS evil no you can be both maybe sometimes at the same time.

That's not what I mean...Pericle first said that apparently "God is both good and evil and He is beyond them" I'm saying god can't be evil and beyond evil at the same time. He either is or he isn't. You see the only way someone like Pericle can address this question without coming to terms with the fact that god is a monster, is by saying something like god is evil but also 'beyond' evil - which makes no bloody sense.

Anyway no one’s really answered the actual question - What actions would be evil or immoral if committed by god?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think the answer to this question varies too greatly across the scale of religions. It's all relative to whatever god you worship.

Even our idea of the western God, the father of Jesus and associate of the Holy Spirit varies so much between the hundreds of denominations out there. I don't think there's anything God could do to mar his image in the eyes of his truly devout worshipers. He's already got them snagged with faith, and we see even around ATS how strong that can be.

Then again, this seems to me like one of those questions that are unanswerable. The kind that makes your brain's jaw sore from chewing on the idea for so long. It's darn tasty to chew on.

But wait... If an evil act occurred, how would we know God committed said evil act? Furthermore, how would we ever get his worshipers to not blame the Devil... the best, natural scapegoat out there for any of God's dirty work.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

In my view:
There is no Devil in battle with God.
The unlimited God is not in clash with negative forces because the negative forces are a facet of the relative.
This is also true for the positive.
Just as the sun is located beyond human goodness and evilness because the sun shine for every one, good and bad.
God is beyond the positive and negative poles of material relativity, he is there for every one.

Kacou.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I am replying to the idea you have implying that "Free Will" means that it is a free ticket to doing whatever you want and GETTING AWAY with it. Nooooo my friend, you know that isn't true when you get in your car and drive off. You have free will to drive through red lights, speed, and bump off a few people in your way. But there is The Law, and there are consequences, eve though you CHOSE to not follow the Law. God allows us choice, but still we are bound by consequences of the Law.

All this will some day be weighed in the balance -- unless you are Forgiven and Saved.
That is the work of Jesus. If you still want to go to court, you're free to go, but I would recommend a good lawyer... Jesus... to get you freed.

top topics

join