It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem Assembly Woman Kicked out for not voting party line...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Story here

Reguardless of WHY she didn't vote with the party, the Democratic Leadership kicking her out is just pathetic...

Now, the Dem are trying to lobby the California Supreme court(the same ones who think the Constituion EXPLICTLY states that Gays can marry...) to override the rule that things must be passed with a 2/3 majority, FORCING bi-partisn co-operation...

The dems are trying to make it a STRAIGHT majority vote...

But the framework for the Democratic Facist take-over of California aside...

Parra is well-respected EVERYWHERE, as someone who will work with both 'sides'...

The implications in this story are bigger then anyone can put into wards...

Scary...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Great example of the party paradigm, "Vote with us, or else."

The political parties are completely lost. They prefer loyalty to the party before loyalty to the constituency. Why do they even bother taking an oath?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
They are not thinking into the future. With a super majority needed they might not be able to get anything done. What happens if a slightly larger minority of another party gets elected and they decide to go they're own way. You'd have a stalemate and thats good for the people. Nothing works best for the people of a country or a state as when the critters that are elected are stuck in the mud if discontent.
Zindo

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
...The dems are trying to make it a STRAIGHT majority vote...

I believe it was Jefferson who said "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting for lunch. A Republic is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Did any of you actually read the story....sheesh!

She was kicked out for not voting at all:

She punished the sole Assembly Democrat who refused to vote Sunday evening for a state spending plan drafted by fellow Democrats.

She didnt want to vote

Parra, who is in her last few months in the Assembly, said she didn't vote for the budget because it was not paired with a water bond to pay for dams to ease water supply troubles in her agricultural district. She said she warned Assembly leaders weeks ago that she wouldn't vote for a budget unless it also improved water delivery.

Are we clear now it had nothing to do with "vote this way or your out".

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATruGod
Did any of you actually read the story....sheesh!

She was kicked out for not voting at all:

No, she lost her office because she didn't side with the Democrats

Assemblywoman Nicole Parra kicked out of her office

Bass referred reporters to a couple of Parra's colleagues, who expressed outrage at her refusal to vote.

"Every Democrat in our caucus is expected to put a vote up on the budget, and to hold the budget hostage . . . to me is intolerable," said Assemblywoman Patty Berg (D-Eureka). She added that fellow Democrats have spent millions of dollars helping Parra win election in her conservative district.

Her not voting to "hold the budget hostage" is what they are po'ed about.

It wasn't just the fact that she didn't vote, but that she didn't vote to support their, shall I say "agenda", in "holding the budget hostage."

Ridiculous! Should be illegal, pressuring somebody to vote they way YOU want them to!

She is there to represent the people who voted her into office and vote in THEIR best interests, not the "best interests" of a PARTIES that SHE joined!

What a bunch of B.S., and to have the gall to to act outraged, about her not voting the way THEY wanted her to vote, to reporters is outrageous in itself!

[edit on 8/19/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I heard this story and was disgusted. This is not the way representative government is supposed to act. As a long time democrat, I am really starting to get sick of the bad tactics of the democratic party. They have stopped representing the people who used to be their base, the average joe, the working class. They have turned their backs on democracy. Sadly, there is no party for me now.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Wow, I think to actually deny ignorance you have to know how to read....

Could you maybe re-read the article (adding the punctuation used) and then comment?

In you comment you made it a point to underline:

and to hold the budget hostage

Then dems wanted a vote they didnt want it "held hostage" but Parra didn't want to vote (hold it hostage) because what she wanted wasnt in the bill.

I think every politician should be required to vote (when theres a vote) thats why they are there.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I guess I may have read it wrong!

Sorry 'bout that!

It's a little distracting here right now, TS Fay is blowing pretty hard with torrential rains coming down slamming against the windows!

My bad!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Actually I'm sorry that wasn't specifically for you everyone else who posted has the same idea.

I hope you weather the storm fine.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Mabye you missed the point...

By NOT voting, she is in turn, NOT voting with her party...

join