It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiotic Religions Disadvantaging Olympians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I was just watching the Women’s 200 meter sprinting heats at the Beijing Olympics when I was surprised and somewhat bemused to see a small young woman running in what looked like a bunny suit (the kind scientist wear).

Bemusement quickly turned to amazement when she won the heat against some very strong competition. Her name is Rakia Al Gassra (it’s worth having a quick read about her).

Amazement soon turned to disgust, anger and pity.

Rakia Al Gassra obviously has a so-called “God” given talent, so why in the name of God is she expected to run at a huge disadvantage to her competitors? She obviously loves her sport a lot to put up with the disadvantages. Wearing that suit must cost her several seconds, not to mention the teasing she would get from a lot of others in the sport.

She has to wear this ridiculous get-up to please the backward, brainwashed, male chauvinistic pigs in her small Islamic village in Bahrain. She actually won her heat, so imagine how fast she would be not wearing it?

I am sorry, but I am just so sick and tired of these idiotic, superstitious MAN MADE religions subjugating people to the will of men – NOT God. Enough is enough. Why not let this girl live her dream and run for her country?

And I am sick and tired of not being able to criticize Islam. So I ask them, why would a so-called benevolent loving God expect women to be treated as second class citizens? That is the thinking of men – not God. And if you can’t handle criticism, it is because you are insecure in your beliefs, so maybe you need to have a look at yourself.

Allah would embrace Rakia and encourage her to follow her dream – Olympic Gold!

But worse of all – I shudder to think – if she has to go through all this nonsense to run in a foot race, I do not doubt that these hypocritical troglodytes would have also butchered her when she turned twelve. I don’t even want to think about it.

So enough is enough people! How much longer do we have to suffer these outdated male chauvinistic, FALSE man made religions!

It’s quite simple. If a religious dogma forces you to treat other people as less than yourself, or you are expected to act subservient, or do anything that is unfair (no dancing, no birthdays, wear silly outfits etc) then it is MAN MADE – not God made because I could not believe for a second in a God that would be so spiteful, jealous and pigheaded.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Nice post.

Why some sects of Islam seem like they are right out of the 7th century, i have no idea...

Its sickening...
Its in DIRECT confrintaion with Western Culture...

Why do these people do this?
Why do they oppress there women?

Is it because they are scared of thier women?
That they fear thier women are smarter then them, so they have to keep them down...

Its VERY sick, but be careful in your rant, there are those on these boards who like this...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I don't agree with Islam but I think people should be careful about picking on religions who treat women like second class citizens when there are western religions who consider a woman dirty and practically bad when they are on their period? Women must obey theor husbands? I'm sorry but if we are to pick on Islam why not discuss the rest?

From what I have seen Christianity doesn't exactly think women are equal to men.

Frankly she doesn't seem so disadvantaged the way she is rocketing through that 200 there. I don't want to cause the issue here but did anyone consider maybe she is proud of her religion regardless of what we think?

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero

Frankly she doesn't seem so disadvantaged the way she is rocketing through that 200 there. I don't want to cause the issue here but did anyone consider maybe she is proud of her religion regardless of what we think?

-Kyo

Yes my thought too, why the OP came to the conclusion that she was forced by men to do that is beyond me?

Many women WANT to wear a scarf, the men have no say.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
"Idiotic Religions Disadvantaging Olympians"

A quarter of the planet is Muslim. They obviously don't think its an 'idiotic' religion.
I understand your anger over the fact that SOME muslim women are treated as second class citizens but would like to point out that not all muslims are like this. I have never met any who disrespect their wives and daughters.
Have you ever thought that she might wear those clothes anyway? It is tradition in her culture after all, she is probably happy & proud of her islamic roots and would take offense to what you are saying about it for the simple fact that you view it from an outside perspective in a society that basically hates Islam and muslims for all the wrong reasons.
I do not agree with all of their outlooks but their culture and religion has many benefits that most western cultures do not avail of, for example - low crime rates

The ideas that many of us have about muslims and Islam have been forced into our heads through propagandist techniques and most of them are unfair and completely wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Yes my thought too, why the OP came to the conclusion that she was forced by men to do that is beyond me?

My mother in law is married to a Pakistani gentleman who is Muslim. He basically said it is her choice. She ends up doing it sometimes so good for her

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I thought about this, what if the scarf gave her the advantage of less drag? I mean look at the other ladies in the picture provided, lots of hair, perhaps the scarf helps in a small way reducing drag and letting her go faster. Plus the advantage of a sweat rag to boot.

Just looking at this in a technical standpoint.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I was about to post this very thought.

It would have to be an advantage to not have the wind blowing through your hair, slowing you down, maybe not much of an advantage, but I'll bet its there.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
One of my favorite things in the Olympics is to see God's diversity of man in speech, dress and tradition, specially during the procession of countries. The head dress in the photo above is just an extension of that for me.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

join