It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inner Earth Sloshing Changes Magnetic Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Here is yet another factor potentially impacting Earth's protective magnetic field with detrimental effects possible for any satellites that may lie within the weakened areas.

news.yahoo.com...

The article even touches upon the issue of pole reversal.

The last major change in the field took place some 780,000 years ago during a magnetic reversal, although such reversals seem to occur more often on average. A flip in the north and south poles typically involves a weakening in the magnetic field, followed by a period of rapid recovery and reorganization of opposite polarity.

However, it does caution the reader regarding this reversal.

Some studies in recent years have suggested the next reversal might be imminent, but the jury is out on that question.

The piece also recognizes the time period over which the weakening of the field has been occurring and to what extent.

The Earth's overall magnetic field has weakened at least 10 percent over the past 150 years, which could also point to an upcoming field reversal.

This fact has been reported now for many years. This latest piece of information seems to add credence to that belief even with the cautionary view as to whether or not the poles really are shifting.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Magnetic reversal will happen if not already which is probably why we have the new term climate change.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hmm, I haven't seen a story about the changing magnetic field in a while, it seemed to be all the rage a year or so ago, if my memory serves me well.

I wonder how suddenly something like this happens. Is it an instant flip, or a very gradual change? I hope more research in this field is done, seems somewhat important, to me.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The Mandea study show how small scale, localized changes in the magnetic field can happen relatively quickly. These changes would be an increase or decrease of the magnetic field in a specific location. The study is not talking about the Earth's magnetic field taken as a whole. There is speculation that an accumulation of these changes may eventually lead to the conditions which may lead to a magnetic pole shift/reversal. Evidence for past reversals indicates that the reversal happens slowly, over a period of thousands of years. If we are in the beginning throes of a shift it isn't going to affect us in our, or our kid's lifetime.

As the OP said, satellites are about the only thing in danger from the shifts that this study is concerned with.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the clarification, Phage. I'll have to look that study up!
Part of me wonders if this will mess around with the effects of animals who use innate homing abilities as part of their navigation, like some turtles and homing pigeons.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Oh my, looks scary wonder how will planes and ships navigate when the pole swap occurs.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hi all,

Had to drop in here after seeing the thread title.
After catching up on the posts, it dawned on me that I had seen something like this before. Did a quick search and came up with this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hope this can be of some help. Personally I am entertaining the thought that the pole shift will coincide with 2012 but, that's a few years away and still have plenty of time to look around the web

new topics

top topics

join