It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airport face-scanner trial begins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Airport face-scanner trial begins

icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith officially launched an airport trial of facial recognition technology.

The new equipment automatically scans passport photos and matches them to the biometric records held by the authorities.

It is claimed the five new gates being trialled at Manchester Airport will improve the speed at which travellers pass through border control and add to security.

The new gates can only be used with people from the UK and EU who are over 18 and hold a new-style chipped passport.

Ms Smith said: "The UK has one of the toughest borders in the world and we are determined to ensure it stays that way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
We really are sleepwalking further and further into this surveillance society. I truly do not believe that all this is in any way necessary. It will be glitch ridden, cost a fortune and more likely than not cause lots of people lots of problems.

And manchester airport of all places - it's so disorganised there. I actually got threatened with being arrested there the day before yesterday when I went to the loo waiting fort a flight and came back up the wrong stair to a different gate. This will confuse the poor little things working there even more.

I'm unhappy enough with having a chip style passport. I do not want my face being scanned too...

What about people who have plastic surgery?

What about people who gain or lose a lot of weight?

It's one more way for the powers that be to watch us. We can't do a thing now without someone watching us.

Why is no-one bothered about this?

Why does no-one see through the whole argument about speeding things up in the article? Passport control is a breeze anyway for most of us.

I'm saddened yet again.

icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
See: NLP thread

It's one more way for the powers that be to watch us. We can't do a thing now without someone watching us. Why is no-one bothered about this?

No not many are concerned. A few yes but not many.

When you are programmed conciously and on subconcious levels 24/7 by professionals in which it makes a mass of people around you reinforce what the professionals say. Of course not many are concerned of a police state and if they are ...at very best they mention it yet give it no further thought.

Fox News isnt the only one. Harmless Websites are involved in the Mind Control as well. Some flashing banners here and there on a website while reading an article is highly effective. Ever watch a computer screen filmed? That flicker rate is really taking place. Your eye cannot catch it but the camera can
The Flashing

Some monitors they have fixed to hide it even further

reply to post by machinegun_go_go

[edit on 19-8-2008 by fastwalker23]

[edit on 19-8-2008 by fastwalker23]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Why would you worry?
Unless you have a mugshot programmed into it?
But even then its pointless because wanted people would just find other methods of travel.
Road rail boat etc.
So its really only good for stopping wanted people boarding planes in airports.
Like al queda etc.
But I do agree that the global net is tightening.
To the point where there is no where to hide even if you are being persecuted for doing nothing.
I mean its really hard to even transfer money around anymore the government always looking at it.Massive invasion of privacy.Where on earth can one live where they can just be left alone.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Here's another article on this topic:

news.bbc.co.uk...

This is what caught my eye:

"People are being allowed through on the basis of this technology. It means that 95% of people won't be checked in any way, other than by the machine."

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Tom Brake said ministers must ensure the technology was "foolproof".

Nothing man-made is foolproof.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Using it as a type of automated system is really worrying - especially when you take into account this:

Cloned Chip Style Passports

I just see a huge recipe for disaster of some type.

Interestingg, I know what you mean about the global net tightening - I really think there are very few places one can escape to these days, for example - I'm writing this from a secluded bay in Greece - even out here I can get internet access. It's just crazy now.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Bearing in mind that this system is already in use in terms of a human doing it instead of computer it will simply just speed up access for innocent people to and out of the country.

The system simply looks at the face, compares it to the one on the database, and one on the RFID chip and then compares it to a watchlist (what a normal airport passport control person does).

Yes, easy to clone a RFID based passport however, once you have manipulated the rfid tag it will be logged and not possible to return to its orginal state so will be rejected by the RFID reader in the airport.

In terms of facial augmentation (plastic surgery) you need to apply for a passport afterwards if major facial surgery has happened. It just takes measurements of face height, width, mouth position, height and width of mouth ear height etc. same as what a trained passport security guard does.

I hugely disagree with it being rolled out without being tested.

new topics

top topics

join