It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ninjitsu: the paranormal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Starchild- When I refer to hard and soft systems, I refer to the amount of striking and hard contact as compared to the 'softer' systems which emphasize redirection of force or throwing. I am aware of Bruce Lee's unification of styles and arts into a no-style art. However, most of the systems drawn in are quite hard, such as Kenpo, Karate, Muay Thai and Wushu. They all emphasize the strike and the blow as compared to the redirection of force.

DE

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
adios amigo

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think the best style is probably the oldest Japanese martial art and that is Ju-Jitsu. At least when I took it we incorporated all standard strikes that I've use in karate and boxing and added submission holds, chokes/constriction, throws, joint locks and pressure point attacks. I think almost all the new open style fighting championships show you at least have a good grounding in ju-jitsu to survive in those competitions. For on the street any good martial arts is going to be light years ahead of the average punk/bar patron. You fight someone who knows what they're doing though and it's a whole different ball game. You throw a flashy kick to my head you better be super sly and fast otherwise im gonna see how good youa re fighting with one leg;p
I think the coolest looking martial art is Kung-fu. Sparred with a kung-fu school before, some good guys, very quick. On the ground it became apparant they lacked grappling skills. Many of them tended to be on the small/skinny side. Speed is good but you need some mass to truly mix it up with people skilled and bigger than you. I like jujitsu because it is so wide open style of fighting, I think the Gracie's brought us all a style that had been overlooked, except by the military, for a long time.
I do not think Bruce Lee was a God, he was a very small wiry fella. Very flashy, brought martial arts to the US but, Chuck Norris was the guy actually fighting in the ring and not on the screen. Chuck believed that he was a good guy, but no competition for him, in a real fight.
Of all the Movie tough guys the ones I wouldn't want to get into it with are Chuck Norris and Segal. Chuck is getting old but, hes old school, no bs, break your teeth and jaw kind of guy. Segal, well he had a popular dojo in Japan teaching them their own martial art. That has to say something.

My 2 cents anyway.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I study Go-Ju Which is just a form traditional Karate.

Someone else mentioned the kickers and jumpers and its true if you try miost of that with a skilled fighter and you will get your ass kicked.

What I like about Go-Ju is you are right in there face stepping on there toes, you can use most of the art in a phone booth.....LOL, its great against some of the more kicking styles, you should see how nervious they get when you stay on top of them......LOL.

I have to agree though in almost 40 years in the art I have NEVER seen ANYTHING that was supernatural.

I also agree with whoever said that you dont learn any good moves too soon in our art you dont learn ANYTHING very dangerious till AFTER your black-belt and that takes about 3-5 years. Thats another thing I like about our style its not a belt factory. I have seen other forms around here that garruantee you a Black Belt in 1 year which is a joke.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild

Originally posted by panchovilla
randomkungfu

what do think is the best type of fighting style or martial art?

In my opinion, JEET KUNE DO is the premier style.
"The form of no form"
Bruce Lee

Mr. M

I agree. JKD is they style with no style.

The highest Art is No Art
The Highest Form is No Form
Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee used to say that if you had to think about it, you had already lost.
He was (and some believe he still IS) the foremost in martial arts.
I don't think we will ever see another person that had his philosophy and drive for the Art.
Even his students, (and some of his students are top notch martial artists )admit, that on their best day, he could walk circles around them.
I have a 30 minute or so video of his last movie "Game of Death"
NO not the one where they filled in his face with some other guy, the one where he faces Danny Inosanto , with a bamboo whip, and procedes to first mark him with the tip of the whip, then pulls out his own Nunchaku and kill him. Even though I've seen it a hundred times at least, every time I watch it, I still pick up little moves he does.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't believe there is a best martial art, I believe that that the person(martial artist) must incorporate different arts from Gracie Jiu-jitsu, Boxing, Wrestling, Groundfighting, submission fighting, Muai Thai kickboxing all together to form a Mixed Martial Art One must be able to fight on his feet and on the ground. In actuality the person who is more athletic, more technically skilled, who can never get tired is the most effective. They also must have the warrior spirit, and spirtualy competent.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Variable
I do not think Bruce Lee was a God, he was a very small wiry fella. Very flashy, brought martial arts to the US but, Chuck Norris was the guy actually fighting in the ring and not on the screen. Chuck believed that he was a good guy, but no competition for him, in a real fight.
My 2 cents anyway.

Here's my 2 cents.
Chuck Norris NEVER said that about Bruce Lee. quote "Chuck believed that he was a good guy, but no competition for him"

www.kungfucinema.com...

"I know Jackie Chan quite well and Bruce is still his idol. As he said to me "I'm a stunt man who knows martial arts. Bruce was a true martial artist." I haven't met Jet Li, but he was the Wu Shu Champion of China and is certainly good, but I don't think that he considers himself as good as Bruce. I was having dinner with Chuck Norris in Manila and I asked him if he were in a real fight to the death with Bruce who would win. He replied immediately, "Bruce, of course no one could beat him!"
www.cityonfire.com...

They both respected each other, and as far as I know, there were no "put downs" between the two.

In Enter The Dragon, however, Robert Wall, did piss Bruce off with comments he made.
The last kick of the scene where he breaks the bottles, that was a real, no barred kick he delivered to Wall. Wall hit one if the guys standing behind him so hard, that it broke the extras arm.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
In a contest between Lee or Norris I would bet on Lee every time.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Between the two, it will probably come down to who ever has the strongest chin.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
NETSTORM said

He replied immediately, "Bruce, of course no one could beat him!"

Had dinner with him huh? Ok. Well I saw Chuck on Arsenio Hall show, Arsenio asked him about all the martial Artists' on TV at the time. He said he thought Segall was the real thing and another fella I can't remember his name, Arsenio asked him how it felt to get his butt kicked by Bruce Lee (Way of the Dragon, I believe), Chuck said it was "Bruces movie that's why he won." Arsenio then said" So you think you could beat him." Chuck said (paraphrasing it was long ago) Bruce was a movie star fighter, I was the champion in real life. He did say he respected Bruce but, the implication and facial expressions left no doubt he believed he was the better fighter period.
So either your full of BS Netstorm or he has changed his toon since your dinner with him. ;p

Bruce Lee should get respect as a great martial artist and movie star. Movies are not reality though. Legends grow when someone dies like he did. This is not the early 70's where any martial arts were rare. The level or fighting skill has changed dramatically.
For any who doubt who the best fighters are please pay your money to watch the fights from Japan or from the states when they have open martial arts contests. Look at the people fighting and ask yourself why you do not see any five foot seven, hundred and thirty-five pound Kung FU masters kicking butt.

Lets also not forget that Chuck actually was a full contact champion BEFORE he became an actor. Real fights with real people in the ring.

Variable

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
As interesting as this discussion is, can I suggest that it's going off thread rather a lot?

Ashlar originally asked:

"My Very good freind came back from his martial arts class one day, and he swore to me on his mother that the following occured

After the class they went out to the parking lot (the parking lot being empty), and then his sparring partner asked him if he believed in levitation, then my freind said something like "more or less" and then the other guy proceeded to levitate of his feet for a period of about 3 seconds.

My freind was shaking when he told me, i am convinced his story is true

Any comments or any similar experiences please share"

This *is* in the Paranormal forum, afterall

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
cripes, it's the forum police! Scatter boys! and err Gals!

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thanks for all your replies

I have looked into the "levitation" technique, and practiced it and demonstrated it for my freind.

He immediately caught me out, and he told me that when his ninjitsu buddy did it *he could see both his feet at once* and there was no contact with the ground

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

cripes, it's the forum police! Scatter boys! and err Gals!

My light bar is flashing!!

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   

NETSTORM said

He replied immediately, "Bruce, of course no one could beat him!"

So either your full of BS Netstorm or he has changed his toon since your dinner with him. ;p

I would suggest you go back and re-read the post. I think you mis read what I quoted. THAT was a quote, that I copied --from the provided link---
I don't believe I ever implied that I had dinner with Chuck Norris.

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
ive been doing martial art))s since the age of 4 (im now 21) ive been thru karate,judo,kung fu and i have been tought many things, but i still dont think levitation is possible, mind over matter is the key but u cant float

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Levitation is the manipulation of magnetic fields. It takes massive concentration and practice. I highly doubt he could show you without meditating for hours. I suggest a trick, my friend.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
RandomKungFu

hey they original crazy link does not work could you please tell me where you got that from. i got the le parkour link, but i don't think it is on that site. i recently tried to show someone it. it is better than all the others

things like this will become more common when................................................................................................

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
AWESOME!!! i am gonna start watching this everyday first thing in the morning and working out.

did you get this form intesity.com i looked there to no avail. no matter.

thanks brother. much appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join