It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a New (Used) Car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I put this into Board Business....and maybe it's just too individualistic of me....or just too selfish....

BUT, I've been hunting around, on various websites, to buy a nice used car. Focusing on an Eldorado, or even a convertible Corvette, from the late 1990's

Here's my question....is this inappropriate for ATS?

Or, secondarily.....would ATS wish to branch out, into a field of possiblity, as in, a sort of 'Craig's List'....or 'Angies List'??

Just rummaging around, in my mind.....

Thoughts??

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hi WW. There is a cars section on bts. I had a few issues with my Lex I needed help with. Whatever you do, take it to a mechanic you 'trust' put up on a lift and combed from head to toe.
Also, there is some gov site you can check to see if it has ever been involved in an accident.
Don't want no Earl Shibes frame straighted over painted.

I think your more of a black caddy guy. Vets are fun, but really tight on bumpy roads. Like being in a blender.
0 to 60 in a z rated one in 3.9 is always a rush tho.
Caddys with the Northstar and dble twice pipes aint now slouch either. There's a black one up the street and I swear it has so many coats of wax on it I don't know how this guy gets anything done. It is stunning. Best of both worlds.
sp

[edit on 8/19/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 8/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Cool beans, thanks jpm!!

I have a 1992 Lexus SC 400....87,000 miles, but she needs some TLC, now....

ANYWAY, thanks for clueing me in to the 'cars' section on BTS!!! Haven't hunted down there, never thought of it, thanks bunches!!!

I had a 2000 convertible 'Vette....had to give it up a few years ago....loved it, but times change.....I especially loved the HUD! NOW, possible to get another one....so, thanks again, for the info!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I've always been a fan of the late 90s Eldorado ETC and Seville STS. Great looking cars and the 300hp Northstar was an outstanding engine. IIRC they were the most powerful frontwheel drive cars sold in the US market at the time.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

NOW I'm here.....I'm a little lost....not often have I visited BTS....oh, wait!!!

I see a whole bunch of different 'smileys', off to my right....oh....I've been directed here before, from ATS....but didn't know it at the time!!!

Catching on, I am....sounding like Yoda, ermmmm?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Turiddu

YES!!! Exactly.....I kinda liked that model....and they aren't being built anymore.

I found a local car....an Eldorado....lots of miles for a '98....115,000....but, it's red and offered at $4,900.

I love my Lexus, and will likely spend a few grand to spruce it up....has the Nakamichi sound system, which just stopped working....blows the fuse, I'm suspecting the Power Antenna.....or water in the trunk, because the rubber is deteriorating....or both.

It also needs tires, shocks, some paint and body work....and a full detail.

Just saw a later-model SC400, with the same Chrome Wheels as I have, and a Spoiler.....but in Pearl White....on a corner car lot, here locally.

Didn't stop in yet.....thought I'd do some research first. (My car is the 'Burgandy' red, not the bright red)

I do like the Eldo....have driven that model a lot, back in the late 1990's,,,,and it has a better turning radius than the Lexus....or the 'Vette!

I think....well, winter is coming....who needs a convertible?? Should save my coins, and opt for the Caddy.....

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Own a 99 GS 400 for the last 6 yrs. Metro Lexus made me an offer I just couldn't pass up. I love it but it is just a wee on the small side for me. I know about tough times. Had to sell my mint 91 SHO five speed I bought from my brother. I still miss that car. So solid. Like riding on a rail. reply to post by weedwhacker

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

OK....figured it out.....go to the ATS Home Page, then click on the BTS tab....got it!!

Now that I'm here.....now what???

Do I get a hamburger or something? 'cause I'm a little hungry.....

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Jpm here. The Seville STS is the bomb. Classy looks, comfort, and power. I love black cars detailed to the hilt. Just don't put your forearm out the window on an August day. Youch. I have a Lexy GS 400 I've owned for 7 yrs that I bought used after my Mom died. The pearl white. Can't say enough about her but she's just a tinge small for me. The shifters on the wheel are awesome when you want to throw some gravel for the wild hair. Got the Nakamichi too. I can smell the heat from the amplifier in the trunk when I hit the bass on some rarely listened to mad music. An NPR guy myself for the most part.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
In my opinion, go for a Cadillac CTS-V...all the luxury of a Caddy with all the power of a Vette

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Glad to hear you found BTS. We don't have hamburgers but we do have vouchers for a free small fry from Hardee's. j/k

Glad to hear you are in the market for a used car. Just bought a 2000 accord with the settlement money from my 63 impala getting jacked. So opposite of what I had.

Gas is killer. Anyway, glad to see you made it here.

Gotta love that dancing banana.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Hey, Klever....hated to hear about your Impala!

I grew up in LA, in case ya didn't know. My dad was a big car guy....in fact, some of his cars were used on the sets of movies....If he was still here, he could tell you more....I remember he said one of his cars was in the 'Dick Tracy' movie....

Anyway, he had a few cars...I've sold them, hard to maintain....the hardest to sell was the 1941 Series 41 Coupe....

When he died, he left the 1947 Fleetwood to my StepSister....well, actually, he left it to me, but she asked for it.....and she then sold it to her (then) husband....

BUT, these are just things, after all.

I know I'm likely to cry....but what color was your Impala?

Did it have the white interior, the white top....and was it red????

Please tell me it wasn't red!!!! Because, then I will really cry!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yeah, she was red.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Secret Shadow

Thanks, Shadow....I'm still looking at the older Eldo.....because, (A) it's failrly cheap and (B) the NorthStar is a cool engine.

The CTS....kinda more recent, thus more expensive for my taste....but I like your opinion.

AND....not sure I actually like the body style, of the CTS....but will look it up.

My Dad taught me to like a Coupe....yes, he DID once own a 1964 Oldsmobile 98....a "Four Door" (white in color).....and yes, we took quite a few road trips, all the way to Tennessesseesseessee, (did that on purpopse) and back, in that car....even up to many State Parks, not to mention Yosemite!!!

BUT, he always liked coupes....(two - door) cars. I went with him, to Colorado Springs, to pick up the new Olds in 1974!!! We drove it home, and I had just gotten my license....I was 16!

I helped him pick it out, from the brochure.....I remember telling him he HAD to have Criuse Control....and a Digital Clock (both options, back then)

Sorry....having an emotional moment....jsut realized, my Lexus SC400 is almost the same color as my Dad's 1974 Oldsmobiloe!

They called it 'Cimarron'....or some such nonsense, back then....now we just say 'Burgundy'!!!

BUT, paints don't actuually change much, So I'm told....at least for cars.

Yes, they went metallic....but I had that back in the 70s......with my lime-green Cutlass. (Wish I still had THAT car!!! Not a C/V, but can you imagine what it would be worth right now???)

OK, enough reminscing.....

Good night.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

OH!!!! OH!!!!!!! OH!!!!!!!!!!

Klever, I was typing, just came back....and I don't know how to explain the emotions I feel.

What a beautiful car....and it was stolen!!!!????

I'm at a loss for words....truly, I am....I am still, actually, crying.

So sorry.....

I hope those (x) burn in (x) please feel free to fill in the blanks!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Thank you for your compassion. Yes it was recently stolen.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Sorry I got too emotional...it is, after all....just a car?

BUT, when you love cars as much as we do.....well....

It's almost a if you've lost a family member....not a 'human' family, of course....but the loss you feel, it's similar.

Not sure how to quantify this....I should just shut up now.....

EDIT....hadn't read your response yet....but, yes, you are correct.

[edit on 8/19/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
if yall know anyone that can fix a benz real cheap you let me know.

new topics

top topics

join