It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

morphine--- is it the devil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i have a mom who's in chronic pain so the doctor prescribes morphine and stuff. now, at the end of the month, she goes through like, withdrawals. she becomes mean as anything. what the hell?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I had some morphine as part of two operations I had in 2005, without a doubt, it was one of the most pleasant feelings I have ever had, and I was only allowed it for several hours on two occasions with 3 months seperating them. I do not have an addictive personality, in fact, I rarely even drink more than 2 beers, but this was something else. I can see that it would be incredibly easy to become both physically and mentally addicted to morphine.

On another note, I hope that your mother recovers from her ailment.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
won't. spinal arachnoiditis, she has almost no vertebrael discs left in her spine. very unlikely. doctors said narcotic therapy for life.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Easy solution, she should be taking what is prescribed and she would not run out, hence no withdrawals.

I am on around the clock narcotic medication and very rarely do I run out of my medication early. If for some reason she needs more or stronger medication, she should consult her doctor. If she is running out a day or two early, thats normal in my opinion - but if its a week or more, she is abusing her medication.

Withdrawal effects from opiates are probably one of the worst things I have ever experienced, and is why I make sure I have enough to get through the month. Once your body becomes dependent - which is much different the addicted - you experience withdrawal after sudden cessation of use. Think of a horrible flu, with the worst bone pains, while having severe depression thrown in the mix. Irritability, the runs, restless legs and arms, cold sweats, runny nose, constant yawning, lethargy, and being unable to even sleep at night no matter how tired you feel. Hell on earth. Try to work with your mother and understand that it is VERY hard to be productive, positive, and even normal when in such a state.

As for the previous comment about the potential to become addicted, it is huge. I notice that when I take my medication I become more confident, social, and energetic - the side effect of opiates is even euphoria - I have seen so many people fall into a vicious cycle due to taking opiate based medication just once. Sadly, I do wish there was some way for people to feel so good, without the risk of harming themselves. There is good reason the ancient Sumerians called it, "The Joy Plant". While opiate medication is by itself actually quite safe to the body, even over decades of use as long as you do not abuse, many people end up addicted, abusing to try to get that original feeling from it, which never happens unless they completely stop in order to let their dopamine receptors replenish which can take upwards of two months.

Medically, the reason your mother, and all opiate patients feel withdrawal is because her dopamine receptors in the brain are unable to produce such an important neurotransmitter any more, and must re-learn. Think of a highway that gets plenty of traffic, then someone else builds a even bigger and better and faster highway that all the people now use instead of the old one. Over years the old highway deteriorates until it is unusable any more. Now, say the new highway is no longer usable due to some reason. The old highway must be rebuilt before it can be used again, and this is akin to your brain rebuilding itself to produce dopamine.

From another legal-user, which is a very sad way of putting it, but sometimes having to take a pill is much better then living in constant pain. I wish you the best and hope your mother can find a regimen with her doctor that allows her to make it through the whole month pain free. Hope I helped enlighten you as well on the subject and its seriousness.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by deadline527]

[edit on 19-8-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I agree. I am 29 and have been on Methadone for 5 years. I am in the process of trying to get off. I am dropping 5mg/week (down from 80mg). Ugh, I shudder when I think about getting low and/or off. I have not been more than one day woithout opiates since I was 19.

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuder!!!! Feels like someonw walks on your grave all day!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I agree. I am 29 and have been on Methadone for 5 years. I am in the process of trying to get off. I am dropping 5mg/week (down from 80mg). Ugh, I shudder when I think about getting low and/or off. I have not been more than one day woithout opiates since I was 19.

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuder!!!! Feels like someonw walks on your grave all day!

Isnt that the truth. I feel so bad for everyone who when the SHTF is going to be stuck trying to survive while going through severe withdrawal due to inability to get medications. I am 24 and have been on opiates since I was 21.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Im 27, and I have had 3 back surgeries in the past 4 years...and I now have 4 inch screws and rods in my spine. I have been on opiates for about that whole time, but I am stupid and always take more than I am supposed to, thus running out early and getting the withdrawls. It is absolute hell on earth....I have pretty much beaten it now, but in the past I have had to go to the emergency room because I was so sick.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Diamorphine or derivatives are the single best medicine ever invented bar antibiotics.

I feel bad for people who are addicted to heroin because I have seen first hand how bloody aweful methadone is to people after watching cluckers going up the wall as they withdraw.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Is it the devil? I am sure those who are terminally ill and in a great deal of pain think it is more closely related to god.

I took half of one once when I was in my later teens (my sis tricked me into it.. hardy har har.. should have known better). I was out cold for a little over 36 hours. All I really remember is her and her friend coming in and opening my eyelid to make sure I was still alive. I wanted to ask them to take me to the dr. but couldn't even gather the energy to speak.

It wasn't until my soon to be husband (only dating at the time) got tired of being told I was busy when he would call that he came over to see what the deal was and found me, got me up, and made me walk the track not far from where I lived and forced me to stay awake while pouring loads of coffee down my throat.

Swore I would never take something from anyone including family members again without knowing for sure what it is and certainly will never take a morphine unless I am dying and/or in enough pain that I can't stand it.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I don't know about it being diabolic, but withdrawal can be a real stinker if you let yourself develop a habit. If you don't use it every day you probably won't get the withdrawal when you run out.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
deadlines says it all. Shes got the devil in her heart but shes an angel came to me. It takes you away from the pain but it will steel your soul if your not careful. Prescription meds. All over tv the new street drugs are in moms purse. I know a lot of ladies on prescription pain killers. Killers is right. They sell them, trade them and borrow them from one another. They all run out before the end of the month, crashing for days throwing up, with the runs for a week or until they get more. One is too many a thousand never enough. Your mom really needs them for pain. Don't ever take her pills or let her loan or give them to someone who says they need them. Maybe then she can ge through the month. Doctors know how addictive they are but they prescribe them by the hundreds to people in pain every month. It says on the bottle one or two every 4 to 6 hours. Addicts take 4 to 6 every one or two hours. Just be ready at the end of the month for her rage and pain to come out. I think maybe the pain we see when they are out, is the pain the pills mask the rest of the month. Glad its not me glad its not you...bil

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yes I too have been on pain killers for the last 14 yrs,if you iuse them as needed shouldn't have to go thru withdrawals,I've quit taking them before and experianced no withdrawals I know of,because I have constant pain thru body at all times,but yes my mother became addicted to them after her spinal surgery,wasn't a pretty situation

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuevobilly
I think maybe the pain we see when they are out, is the pain the pills mask the rest of the month. Glad its not me glad its not you...bil

The pain of withdrawal is far much worse then the pain associated with why we take our medications. I have known people with spinal fusions, degenerative disc disorders, and so on who if they could turn back the clock would never have touched a pain pill. Sure they are amazing, sure they make you feel great, but man what a devil in disguise. I will be the first to say I have a love and hate relationship with my medication, it treats me the way everyone wants to be treated, but man if you dont have your medication or run out early.. it really is probably the worst thing I have ever experienced in life.

You can dance to the music all you want, but in the end you must pay the piper. Sadly, the piper is always on time when its time to pay up, and he never, ever, ever forgets.

I just took my pain medication about fifteen minutes ago and already feel different - I enjoy ATS much more then normal, work no longer bothers me, I enjoy talking to people who I would normally just walk past, I am more energetic, social, and confident. I am on top of the world. .....until they wear off.

It is such a dangerous cycle, and so easy to get caught up in. I urge anyone who may be in pain, to try to find alternative methods and only use narcotics as a last resort.

As for what you said about old ladys selling their pills, I can vouch for seeing that as well. I have seen ONE PILL go for 50$, and when you get 120 pills a month... well, I am sure you can do the math. Its probably much more then you make working day in and day out. They call it the "second pension". Most seniors do not take the whole prescription per month, so they sell the rest for a few hundred dollars. Sure, its illegal, but when retirement funds do not cover the rising cost of living, inflation, and so on, what are these people supposed to do? Again, a very dangerous situation that I wish never existed.

If anyone ever needs someone to talk to, I am very educated and have delt with such things first hand. If I can help one person get out of such a horrible cycle, then it is all worth it.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by deadline527]

new topics

top topics

join