It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
One of the more famous incidents in the Triangle took place in 1921 (some say a few years later), when the Japanese vessel Raifuku Maru (sometimes misidentified as Raikuke Maru) went down with all hands after sending a distress signal which allegedly said "Danger like dagger now. Come quick!", or "It's like a dagger, come quick!" This has led writers to speculate on what the "dagger" was, with a waterspout being the likely candidate (Winer). In reality the ship was nowhere near the Triangle, nor was the word "dagger" a part of the ship's distress call ("Now very danger. Come quick."); having left Boston for Hamburg, Germany, on April 21, 1925, she got caught in a severe storm and sank in the North Atlantic with all hands while another ship, RMS Homeric, attempted an unsuccessful rescue.
The USS Niña, a 4th rate iron screw steamer, was laid down by Reaney, Son, and Archbold, Chester, Pennsylvania in 1864.
The 137 foot-long tug was launched 27 May 1865, delivered to the New York Navy Yard 26 September 1865, and placed in service
as a yard tug at the Washington Navy Yard 6 January 1866. The Niña operated as a yard tug for the Washington Naval Gun Factory
through May 1869 and was then converted to a torpedo boat. The ship served as a torpedo boat at Newport through 1883, refitting in
May 1884 for special service, and next operated from August to October salvaging the wreck of sidewheel gunboat Tallapoosa, which had
sunk in Martha's Vineyard Sound. From 1885 to 1889, Niña served in various capacities at New York Navy Yard, and then returned to Newport from 1890 to 1891.
The converted tugboat returned to New York Navy Yard in 1892 to resume her original duties, continuing her yard work and towing services there for a decade.
Niña was next loaned to the Lighthouse Department to verify aids to navigation near Puerto Rican waters to protect the Fleet conducting Winter maneuvers
from October 1903 to April 1904. The Niña was ordered converted into a submarine tender on 28 December 1905. On 25 May 1906, she arrived at the Newport Naval Torpedo Station,
and following a year's service, was assigned as tender for the 1st Torpedo Flotilla. For the next four years, she served with the Atlantic Fleet's infant submarine force in its
pioneer coastal operations form Newport to Annapolis and Norfolk. From 1 December 1908 to 22 February 1909, she participated in the great Review in Hampton Roads following
the return of the Great White Fleet from its globe girdling cruise and joined submarines in exercises off the Virginia coast.
The USS Nina ultimately foundered at sea during a storm on 6 February 1910. Sitting in 80 feet, she was rediscovered in 1977. Many artifacts including the bell,
portholes, lanterns, and Morse diving equipment were recovered soon thereafter. Towards the bow, personal effects can still be recovered by digging where the crew's
quarters used to be. The stern is not as prominent as the bow, being close to the sand.