It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Round 1: SteveAndrew v LDragonFire: Too Dangerous For Aliens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The topic for this debate is “If We Were Visited By Aliens, They Would See How Dangerous We Are And Just Go Home.”

SteveAndrew will be arguing the pro position and will open the debate.
LDragonFire will argue the con position.

Each debater will have one opening statement each. This will be followed by 3 alternating replies each. There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

There are no limits on the length of posts, but you may only use 1 post per turn.

Editing is strictly forbidden. For reasons of time, mod edits should not be expected except in critical situations.

Opening and closing statements must not contain any images and must have no more than 3 references.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each invidual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference. Excess quotes and excess links will be removed before judging.

The Socratic Debate Rule is in effect. Each debater may ask up to 5 questions in each post, except for in closing statements- no questions are permitted in closing statements. These questions should be clearly labeled as "Question 1, Question 2, etc.

When asked a question, a debater must give a straight forward answer in his next post. Explanations and qualifications to an answer are acceptable, but must be preceded by a direct answer.

This Is The Time Limit Policy
Each debate must post within 24 hours of the timestamp on the last post. If your opponent is late, you may post immediately without waiting for an announcement of turn forfeiture. If you are late, you may post late, unless your opponent has already posted.

Each debater is entitled to one extension of 24 hours. The request should be posted in this thread and is automatically granted- the 24 hour extension begins at the expiration of the previous deadline, not at the time of the extension request.

In the unlikely event that tardiness results in simultaneous posting by both debaters, the late post will be deleted unless it appears in its proper order in the thread.

Judging will be done by a panel of anonymous judges. After each debate is completed it will be locked and the judges will begin making their decision. One of the debate forum moderators will then make a final post announcing the winner.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Introduction:

“If We Were Visited By Aliens, They Would See How Dangerous We Are And Just Go Home.”

Warm Greetings Ladies and Gentleman of ATS. I would first like to thank MemoryShock for pulling this debate tournament together. I would also like to thank SteveAndrew or whoever my opponent might be for their participation in this first round of debates.

This debate “If We Were Visited By Aliens, They Would See How Dangerous We Are And Just Go Home” is not a debate whether or not UFO’s are aliens visiting Earth, we should assume that there are aliens visiting Earth.

I have the Con position in this debate, so I will be arguing that although humans as a collective are a greedy violent race, that this has no bearing on whether or not aliens visit Earth.

I will also be arguing the opinion that our violent nature is not that uncommon in the universe.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
SteveAndrew forfeits this debate.

LDragonFire will advance to the second round.

join