It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College presidents seek drinking age debate They are calling on lawmakers to consider moving age bac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

College presidents seek drinking age debate They are calling on lawmakers to consider moving age back to 18

www.msnbc.msn.com

RALEIGH, North Carolina - College presidents from about 100 of the best-known U.S. universities, including Duke, Dartmouth and Ohio State, are calling on lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18, saying current laws actually encourage dangerous binge drinking on campus.

The movement called the Amethyst Initiative began quietly recruiting presidents more than a year ago to provoke national debate about the U.S. drinking age, which is among the highest in the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Don't you all agree that the time has come for this???

I, for one, have always been a proponent of the 18 year old drinking age.

i also have always liked the classic line...If you're old enough to fight for our country, you're old enough to drink.

Are there going to be a few problems and accidents, yes there are but I'd be willing to bet that statistically, the numbers would be about the same as 21 year old's.

For all of you young ones out there who this might affect, this is a time for celebration but not stupidity.

Please be careful with your new power if you get it.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh yeah it should be 18... and viable methods of transportation should be available too...

Going out to drink in public is more fun and alot safer especially for girls...

all the 21 yr old limit does is encourage people to sit home and do dope anyway

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
yeah doing dope is bad

But seriously i think this is a great idea. If you want to drink at 18 you can find a way to get it. But getting it is like a quest and when you finally figure out how you get excited and end up drinking harder to celebrate. When you turn 21 some of the thrill is gone and the novelty wears off and you slow down. This should have been done a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I have to agree that this would most definitely be a good thing, especially in the interest of college students. One guy buying a case of beer and then driving around drinking is far more dangerous than going to a pub/club, knocking back a few, then having the option of alternate transportation right there in your face. If you are behind the wheel, you arent going to pull over and call a cab, but if you are in a bar, then that option is very probable.

I dont understand why the greedy elite dont just vote this one 100% anyway. I mean, the service industry would effectively double on the heals of this, meaning more revenue in the form of alcohol and gas tax spending for a night or more on the town.

I also agree that if you are legal to vote and die for your country, then you should at least be able to knock back a brew with your buds. Many see this as being as crazy an initiative as trying to logically debate the legality of pot and other controlled substances. Of course, I am not 100% on that side of the fence, but I think a lot less bad would come from the age limit going back to 18.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

all the 21 yr old limit does is encourage people to sit home and do dope anyway

lmfao.

Do you honestly believe that? 21yr old limit just means someone 21+ shall buy the booze...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I for one don't drink. I'm 18 (19 in a month however), don't drink but about 3/4 of my friends drink. All underage. But all +18. So i think this age limit reduction is a good idea. They are going to do it anyways, just take the reason that it's illegal away. Now it's just for kicks and won't be considered living on the edge as much. All i can hope for is for the drinkers to be careful and smart and have a designated driver or a taxi. Or walk.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
From my perspective on college drinking, this would not be a bad thing. I was so surprised when I got to college the number of kids that drank. I was in a dorm with people in my major and I don't think I knew a single person that didn't drink. It really can't get worse imo from what I've seen at my college. The problem I see is that if seniors in high school can buy alcohol, you'll see a lot more drinking from 9th to 11th grade. But this might be offset from parents that will be around to hopefully push their kids in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's about friggin' time...

Let them drink legally. Nobody over fifteen has any trouble getting booze, it's just a question of whether or not you're breaking the law. Why criminalize kids for having some beer or whatever?

As has been said - if you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you're old enough to drink a beer. That's just common sense...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Yeah haha I drink. i'm 18. That said, we will do it anyways. The law means nothing it keeps no one from drinking. Everyone has older friends that can buy booze. Plus if an 18 year old gets hurt while drinking now they won't be afraid to go to the hospital, they'll get treatment.

We will drink anyways!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well... my friends and I have been drinking underage since we were 16. Of course it was always an adventure figuring out how to get beer, and of course once you get it you don't just drink it casually... you play drinking games that cause you to get ridiculously wasted. I have always thought lowering it to 18 was a good and reasonable idea--- but then again, I worry that lots of kids would be turning 18 while still in high school...I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not. High school kids will drink anyway...but I'm wondering if it was more available to them everyday if it would affect them worse? hmmm. I'll be 21 in a year when I can finally do legally what I've been doing since I was 16! lol

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Beautiful, now people can begin creating their dependancy at an earlier age nice. Earlier time to start destroying the liver. Earlier time to start pumping yourself full of meds to combat the chronic side affects that come with constant drinking. Earlier time to start pumping yourself with meds to counter affect the side affects of the medicine that treats the side affects of drinking.

Heart disease and liver cancer by forty will probably be even more common in the future. Drink yourselves to death people. Not to mention the dispicable GUT that begins to form in most of you party people.

They should raise the age to 25 to coinside with your auto insurance discount. If someone has not drink by 25, they will be much less likely to become alcoholic as too many people deny they are.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It was raised to 21 because 18 year olds were giving it to minors and this will happen more often if it is voted to be 18 again it is another thing for adults to give to underage adults but when it comes to minors thats another story.

Colleges must have forgot that lots of freshman are 16 and 17 when school starts so there is no way to stop the problem even if the age is dropped to 18 you will still have underaged 16 and 17 year olds getting drunk and they also must have forgot that there are 18 and 19 year olds in highschool and they will give there friends that are 17 and 16 drinks too.

I think the drinking age along with the age to vote and legal age should be raised to 20, at 20 your no longer a teen so more than likely you wouldnt be around people less than 2 years younger than you and it starts a whole new age group 20's it should have never been 21 from the get go it should have when you become an adult and stick to that 21 was the legal age then lowered to 18 so they could get 18-20 year old votes and so everything should have been lowered also.

Drink age should be legal age, 20,25 or 30 not some odd number out the bunch

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well it would make some sense. How can you honestly ask our youth to fight and die for our country but to "stay away from alcohol until they are mature enough?

You can't have it both ways.

top topics

join