It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create animated human that bridges the "uncanny valley"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Scientists create animated human that bridges the "uncanny valley"

technology.timesonline.co.uk

Emily - the woman in the above animation - was produced using a new modelling technology that enables the most minute details of a facial expression to be captured and recreated.

She is considered to be one of the first animations to have overleapt a long-standing barrier known as 'uncanny valley' - which refers to the perception that animation looks less realistic as it approaches human likeness.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
For those in the technology industry, like myself, this represents a massive leap forwards in technological terms for what can be simulated by computers.

For the conspiracy theorists out there, like myself, this is just one step closer to the matrix and the prophesies of the poster D4rk Kn1ght.

technology.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that.

Wow, how we are moving at an ever growing rate.

Kick the actors out of Hollywood, these animations do it for free.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by seawolf197]

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hehe... you can kiss video evidence goodbye... With this you can make anyone say and do anything you want them to.

Just a matter of time before this is used by criminals and politicians etc.. Just a matter of time.

Its going to come down to if you didn't see it with your own eyes its legitimacy will be called into question. No video online from now on will be able to be trusted. Forget news and MSM.. you can't trust a damn thing you see on them anymore.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That is a pretty cool vid. There are a few facial expressions that still need workd but for the most part that was very real. Certainly the most realistic computer animation that I have ever seen.

Cool Post.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yes it will make video games into a new dimension. It will also make video evidence come into question. I don't know when the latter will happen but it will. I also think this will bring new laws into play restricting animation as a art form. If you think that wont happen I do believe it already has in the UK.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Its only a matter of time before the movie "The Running Man" becomes reality. Hell, I thought we were already in that age, but this technology will make it even worse.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Crud... see my avatar... that's my own work...

and right now I am ashamed...

lol, but i'm not working with proprietary software...

This is amazing inspiration from me at a time where I need to go an extra mile in my career... Kudos... great Post

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Looks good.

Not quite there yet though, which would be alot more obvious in a higher quality video.

But check out their website : www.image-metrics.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The next thing they'll develop is mannerisms that can be analysed, and we'll never be sure what we're seeing is true at all. It just goes to show that there's nothing that beats pressing the flesh.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The technology has been availiable for years of putting one persons face onto someone else's body.

This is just going to make things worse and i agree with the above poster when he says you will see laws against animation sooner or later.

Hell i don't trust the media or the government already. What makes you think they havn't used this stuff or wont use this stuff?

You know damn well the government will take advantage of this sooner or later if they havn't already.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfmanjack
Hehe... you can kiss video evidence goodbye...

There is no such thing as video evidence anyway.
Those who believe videos/audios/images should update their definition of "evidence".

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Also kiss adult film stars goodbye, why pay someone that ages when you can create a timeless "model" that will do anything you program her to do.

Criminals have an easy defense now. That isn't me they digitized my likeness!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That's amazing. If they hadn't told me it was an animation, I would have thought it was a real person.

I think we will now see more advertising using this technology, as some companies already do.

Many people have already been fooled by CGI and animation; it will be even harder to figure out what is real, now.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I had heard mention from some documentary when they made one of the new Shrek movies that they had a more life like animation that people claimed we weren't yet ready for or would appreciate otherwise in that form. Even now, some animated movies my mother didn't know was an animation either,but, she also answers the remote instead of the phone sometimes. (edit) I said that would be a great idea! a remote that you can also use to answer the phone. (maybe...maybe not?)

This one here still doesn't look real to me, especially around her mouth. Animation is one thing, but, I haven't much doubt they already can do this with some to even give the illusion we're watching a live news feed. We do seem to be heading down that matrix road anyway if we aren't already in it.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Heres a better quality version. www.awntv.com...

I wouldnt mind seeing a HD version though, Thats awsome. Although i think the only thing animated is the actual face & not the whole scene (i could be wrong). But even so its pretty damn good

[edit on 8/18/2008 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
That was a better video than the other, but her eyes still don't seem right and her expressions seem almost plastic. Besides, knowing ahead of time makes me look for flaws also. I think they could improve this more.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
nice video thanks for sharing this.
is it me or is her mouth crooked?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
amazing technology, and pretty cool to think that we'll be seeing more of this, but the consequences of this technology are frightening.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Sorry if someone has allready mentioned this, but im in a hurry at work and didnt have time to read all these posts.

But I heard somewhere I forget now where exactly, that possibly one or more of the Osama bin laden videos may have been created using similar technologies if not this very one.

However this may be urban legend so any comments on that to enlighten me will be greatly appreciated.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join