It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholics and "All Saint's Day"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I bumped into this day in an encyclopedia by accident while looking for information on Albany
And what would you know, it's yet another pagan festivle supplanted with Catholic beliefs.

I guess the holliday is on Nov. 1st though I have never heard of it.

Just posting this as a bit more of information, since often the issue of the Catholic church borrowing heavily from Pagan rituals and festivals comes up, here is just one more example of Catholic borrowing.

Isn't there a single thing in Catholicism that is "God's" word? Or is it all Pagan in origin?

I'm beginning to believe the latter

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
your hate and ignorance only increases my faith.

holloween is derived from the old celtic pagan holliday in the eighth century, pope gregory the IV established all
saints day on november 1 in honor of the martyrs.

pagan rituals overran this holdiday and became what you see today.

The catholic church had nothng to do with itspagan roots, all saints day is not the celtic holiday but a rememberance
of the martyrs.

peace.

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
What hate and ignorance, you mix words to change fact, I merely am stating that it is more and more a fact that the Church is a monotheistic belief with pagan polytheistic rituals//festivals for its system.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
my point is that the church did not creat what you see today, it came from
a pagan celtic holiday.

We created all saints day in memory of the martyrs.

how is this pagan?

because its a day after the reaal pagan holiday holloween?

Our church forbids pagan rituals and paganism period.

how many catechism qoutes do i need to give you for this?

if i found (one) teaching in our catechism that goes against christ teachings than i would not follow it, but i have not, because it is the church of christ.

One last time, what does a holiday in memory of martyrs have to do with pagan roots?

The all saints day is not a holiday of dressing like witches and going out at night, this is from the celtic holiday not the holiday of catholics in memory of the saints.

peace.

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
You missed the meaning, the Church took Pagan hollidays, and changed their meanings to their own.

Like Christmas, some say it's Baphomet or Baal or whatever his name is, starts with an M, his religious day, but more likely christmas was the replacement for the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice which took place around Dec. 22nd or such.

And what it said in the encyclopedia was the same thing, some pagan holliday (can't remember at the moment what it was cellibrating) on Nov. 1st or some such thing.

Christians would borrow the day as their own holliday, replacing the meaning to one of their own.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You're thinking of Mithras.

But, historically speaking, all reilgions have borrowed holidays from other cultures. After all, the Christian Easter is the Jewish passover feast time.

I'm surprised you don't know about All Saints' Day/All Souls' day. Here in Texas, in predominantly Hispanic areas, we have El Dia De La Muerte; the festival of the Day of the Dead. I rather like the idea that you set aside a day of the year to honor your ancestors and celebrate where you came from and the culture that made you.

And I think it does no harm at all to pray for your ancestors and to tend their graves. A community service like that (tending graveyards) is one of the little touches that makes for a gracious life.

Personally, I always loved reading about the Catholic saints. I approved of the practice (though not Christian nor Catholic) -- I liked the idea of having cultural heroes to hold up to kids to teach them about life and ethics.

Your mileage, of course , may vary.

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Christmas IS a pagan holiday with no doubt... december 25th is the born day for all sun dieties

easter which is "supposed" to be the day christ rose was a holiday to honor the pagan goddess of fertility Isthar... see the resemebelance(sp?).. easter=isthar.

a young kid, like 8 years old asked me one day why there's a bunny and eggs on easter, what does that got to do with anything about christ... I looked at him and simply told him... it doesnt it and it never has.... eggs symbolized Isthar.

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Truth........

Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Hallo's Eve/Hallo's Day

Any questions?

Any questions

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
In a nutshell, F-M, the "Church", later to become the Catholic church, brought in the pagans, allowing them to keep some of their rituals and practices so they'd feel more at home. You are absolutely right about the Holidays being pagan. Even Easter, which is a fertility diety feast.

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I appologize in advance for posting this in more than one thread, however, it seems appropriate to make this point here as well:

To all who "participate" in discussions with Free Mason:

You may as well stop any pretense that this is actually a discussion. Mr. Free Mason is not open to discussion or debate, but dispute with any and all who may show up. He is certain that his view is the only appropriate view, and will argue his point ad-nasueum.

The "online discussion forum" phenomenon has seen his ilk time and time again. Experience has shown that the best strategy is to ignore the posts of these people with internalized grandeur intent on disruption, not discussion. (Free Mason, it may be entirely possible you do not even realize this aspect of your personality.) In time, he will either move on or learn to participate in a discussion whereby his own opinion is open to change.

Consider the potential motives of Mr. Free Mason when becoming involved in threads of his making.

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   

appologize in advance for posting this in more than one thread, however, it seems appropriate to make this point here as well:

To all who "participate" in discussions with Free Mason:

You may as well stop any pretense that this is actually a discussion. Mr. Free Mason is not open to discussion or debate, but dispute with any and all who may show up. He is certain that his view is the only appropriate view, and will argue his point ad-nasueum.

The "online discussion forum" phenomenon has seen his ilk time and time again. Experience has shown that the best strategy is to ignore the posts of these people with internalized grandeur intent on disruption, not discussion. (Free Mason, it may be entirely possible you do not even realize this aspect of your personality.) In time, he will either move on or learn to participate in a discussion whereby his own opinion is open to change.

Consider the potential motives of Mr. Free Mason when becoming involved in threads of his making.

Exuse me but to be honest have to point out; that this is beyond any shadow of doub't a bunch of cr@&.

[Edited on 13-1-2003 by Toltec]

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thank you Toltec....I'll try to live up to the reputation of me that you uphold

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Personally FM I celebrate Halloween as the ancients wanted it understood. The idea that its a Christian celebration is incorrect (thanks TC for being honest).

WS not sure where your coming from but FM is far from being a trouble maker. Suggest you offer some info on what exactly brings you to that conclusion???

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hey Toltec, how do you celebrate Holloween? What is the old way of doing it I am interested.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   

One of the Greater Sabbats. Commonly known as Halloween. Wiccans say farewell to the God as he travels through the underworld to be reborn at Yule. This was traditionally a time of sacrifice, as livestock were slaughtered to ensure food throughout the winter. The God fell as well to ensure our continuing existence. This is a time of reflection and coming
to terms with the one thing in life which we have no control - death. This is a time of remembrance of their ancestors and all those who have gone before. This holiday marks the end of the old year and the beginning of the new, and is frequently thought of as the Pagan new year.

Its a great day to barbecue some country style ribs

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hmm that reminds me of Holloween 2001 ... some dude at the end of a block on the main street in our neighborhood was barbequing for all to share, like half of this (Enormous neighborhood) had to have just been camped there hanging out eating burgers and hot dogs...no ribs sadly but that's a great idea!!!

That was the best holloween ever, it was very communal and homely...

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Maybe the Church set up those religious holidays over the pagan ones to moch the pagan "gods".

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Would this be an appropriate time to mention that there's quite a few Catholic Saints who were "borrowed" from older pagan deities? For one example, St. Bridget came from Brigit, the Goddess of fire (I can't remember if she was Celtic or Norse in origin though). Just compare the list of Catholic Saints with deities that were worshipped by the religions that were "suborned" by Catholicism & you'll be sure to find quite a few examples more...

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
actually the christian church decided to make most of their holidays on the days of pagan holidays, so that when they converted all they would have to do is change the festivities around to whomever they were worshiping. thus the pagans would incorporate into christian worship a little better. it really makes sense, if they celebrate sun day on dec 25 we'll celebrate christmas on dec 25 then all they have to do is switch from worshiping the sun to jesus. i guess it would make them feel like they get to hold on to something from the old days.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
cant say i agree...............

1.... Christmas day is 7th of january

Pascha(easter)is near the Jewish passover.........

the church calander changed to fit ""modern""society.......

""old calanderist" still use the julian calander..............

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join