It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advancing Hysteria by Editing Skeptical Views of Global Warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Psychologists determine what it means to think 'green'

www.usatoday.com

American Psychological Association leaders say they want to launch a national initiative specifically targeting behavior changes, including developing media messages that will help people reduce their carbon footprint and pay more attention to ways they can conserve. They want to work with other organizations and enlist congressional support to help fund the effort.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What I find most interesting about this article is that it pretty much comes out and says the media message should be controlled. They are actually advocating a media that seeks to mold and change people, rather than just report the news.

I for one, find this extremely disturbing. More so, because I know there are many people out there who would gladly turn our media into propaganda in order to push their agenda forward. The same kind of rationale is being used to elect Obama as president. Our media is actively subverting the truth and has chosen to actually campaign for the candidate. A first in American history.

Here are some more interesting quotes:

Armed with new research into what makes some people environmentally conscious and others less so, the 148,000-member American Psychological Association is stepping up efforts to foster a broader sense of eco-sensitivity that the group believes will translate into more public action to protect the planet.

"We know how to change behavior and attitudes. That is what we do," says Yale University psychologist Alan Kazdin, association president. "We know what messages will work and what will not."

By editing CNN and PBS news stories so that some saw a skeptic included in the report, others saw a story in which the skeptic was edited out and another group saw no video, Krosnick found that adding 45 seconds of a skeptic to one news story caused 11% of Americans to shift their opinions about the scientific consensus.

"So, the APA wants to work with media to brainwash citizens, and it's going to ask Congress to fund their efforts." —Noel Sheppard

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Dont fart...it makes global warming like....that much worse! Hey we should all turn veggie and stop rearing livestock they fart..all that methane=bad
Really,i have read about global warming,sure we need to clean up our act in the sense of pollution in seas's,wasting habitat for animals...but from what ive heard man made global warming is a farce...i know mr melatonin wont agree...but i know mr redneck does...i dont know what to believe...but i can assure you it isnt the media!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
While I do not believe in man caused global climate change (warming or otherwise) the irony here is not lost on me. These same psychologists have spent the last 60 years helping to developing television, radio, and print advertisements for various corporations that were directly intended to change Americans' behavior, molding us into a culture of compulsive consumers. Their message was clear: "buy! Buy!! BUY!!!" "I'd like to have..." and "it would be nice to have..." was systematically changed in our brains to "I MUST have" and "I cannot live without..." by these same psychologists and their campaigns.

Now, 60+ years on they are embracing the idea that we consume too much and all of their work must be undone? I'm sure the fact that they did their job too well and are no longer making the money they once did thanks to a lessened demand for messages of consumerism to a society which is already completely brainwashed into naturally consuming and purchasing more than they can financially handle, has nothing to do with this change in message. I'm sure their hearts are in the right place and they're not seeing any dollar signs encircling this new campaign to re-brainwash everyone back to the point they were at before initially being brainwashed.

What a crock! One of these days our brains are going to collectively stress fracture from all the constant bending back and forth and the entire population is just going to go fuzzy, wreaking a destructive path while we try to recapture whatever it was that made us who and what we are as a species before "science" started stripping it all away from us.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yes, we have to be conditioned into believing we need to reduce our carbon footprint, because common sense won't get us there.

Meanwhile corporations, run by elites, continue doing the real damage to the environment, and are ruining the biosphere which would scrub the harmless CO2, turning it into oxygen.

This is all a massive con, instead of me reducing my carbon footprint, how about the elites get out of their ivory towers and start undoing the harm they, out of unchecked ambition and uncontrolled greed, are doing to this planet, and blameing the innocent for?

We have the technology and we have the knowledge for CO2 not to be a problem. It's time we stopped propping up governments that are little more than con artists.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Meanwhile corporations, run by elites, continue doing the real damage to the environment, and are ruining the biosphere which would scrub the harmless CO2, turning it into oxygen.

There you have it folks. This is exactly why you should be worried about this. The hysteria has created hordes of anti-capitalists who think their going to save the planet, by turning us in to a bunch of Marxists. They don't want any dissent and beleive you must be FORCED in to accepting their way.

Everyone should be very worried about this.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Marxist? Please... Have you checked your precious bodily fluids? They still there? Good. Now let me elaborate:

I am not against free markets. I am not against private property. I am not against people being wealthy, per se. But when we have huge multinationals, that are falling under so many laws they might as well have none, then we have a problem. When these corporations are the ones, through their economic activity, destroying the environment directly, we have a problem. When they are controlled by old money elites that predate the very laissez faire economic philosophies you seem to be worshipping, we have a problem, especially since history has proven then to be against mankind and very pro self.

That is our problem.

Besides, if we have to kill a few corporations to save a healthy productive biosphere, where is the hard decision? Take care of nature and nature will take care of you. Go against the way nature does things and you, as a natural product, are condemning yourself. Economics not withstanding.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
What I find most interesting about this article is that it pretty much comes out and says the media message should be controlled. They are actually advocating a media that seeks to mold and change people, rather than just report the news.

Where is the big news here? The liberal media has been doing this for decades now. Why else would there be so many mindless far left wing drones on the march nowadays? Furthermore, this is the reason why GW/CC has become the mass hysteria that it already is. There is nothing new here at all; just business as normal!

top topics

join