It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNC convention passes feature upside down US flag.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Haha, I didn't mean it that way. I just mean that the freedom to say what you want doesn't translate to immunity from criticism. If I went out and said that all...Jews, or black people, or white people, or something, should be killed because their color is gross, you could criticize me for it. I hope that you would.

Though that one's a little harder now because of those silly hate crime laws...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yeah i know thats how the flag flies, but thats not what i've seen on local cop cars in the area i live in. The flag was upside down with stars on the bottom right. There are two different meanings to flying the flag upside down with stars on the right along with flying the flag with the stars on the bottom left. Just something i remember. Next time I see a local cop car i'll try and take a picture to post on here to show it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

An upside down flag represents an international symbol of extreme distress.

You said it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

I know exactly what you're saying

but you're missing the point

lets see if i can draw this in text form....

for arguments sake, lets take the literal cardinal directions

__N
W E
__S

Lets say the wind is blowing east

===>

and your flag is upside down.

the star field would be on the bottom left

BUT

if the wind is blow WEST
< =====

it'd be in the bottom left

the god dang edit clipped off the rest of my post which was actually quite lengthy...im not retyping it

I dunno why it got clipped....happens all the damn time

[edit on 8/19/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by jam321

Am I the only one on earth that was a Boy Scout when I was young? I find it an outrage that they can just disregard the law. Yes the LAW. Has anyone else here ever looked at the U.S. Code Title 4.

www4.law.cornell.edu...

Sheesh. Apples and oranges, anyone?

A brochure is NOT a flag, and it's staggering that anybody's suggesting that. Stars and stripes are used in myriad emblems in various designs and combinations, and each instance is still NOT a flag.

Consider this:

Now, since a fighter plane obviously is flying every which way in both training and combat missions, are you accusing our Airforce of violating the flag code?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Reply to anonymous ATS user about the flag code

YES

I've looked at the flag code.

It specifically states that its proper to hang it upside down in the event of DISTRESS

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

thats the communication intentions from the DNC
U.S.of A is in DISTRESS

upside down flag. Why you choose to ignore that fact bewilders me.

Lets see what ACTUAL violations of the laws of which you speak look like:

Hey! You got treason all over my blasphemy!

The flag violation hit list

That last link may be a biased source - but bias has nothing to do with facts. I use it as a means of providing ACTUAL violations of the flag code.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery

I think you're underestimating the care that goes into presenting an image. And yes, that goes down to these simple passes. So it shouldn't be cast aside as a simple mistake or something they overlooked.

It is there on purpose, the only question remains what purpose. I'm not in the US, nor do I care much about either of the candidates or DNC passes, but why look for excuses when you really don't know what it's about?

I am a graphic designer by trade I am well aware of the care that goes into presenting an image. That doesn't mean that what some believe the message conveyed by any particular image was the intent of its creator.

Do you really think someone running for president of the United States would go out of their way to potentially offend a majority of its citizens?

You cannot say it is there for the purpose that this thread states it is as the creators of the image have clearly expressed its intent. They already explained why and how it was created. Some have subjectively decided what it means to them but that by no means is the absolute meaning.

Even if they really meant it to mean America is in crisis...like some of you have already concluded...I still find that would be an appropriate assessment.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
A brochure is NOT a flag, and it's staggering that anybody's suggesting that. Stars and stripes are used in myriad emblems in various designs and combinations, and each instance is still NOT a flag.

Exactly.

This is much ado about nothing.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Exactly.

This is much ado about nothing.

- Lee

I said so already, yes... It's funny how Cainistas are grasping straws - "look, he uttered a word in Arabic!", then "crowds in Germany greet him", and now "his brochure is offensive for its use of stars and stripes!".

And such are modern cons -- content and logic free, with reflexes worthy a 5-year old replacing ability to contemplate... More on that here.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Idol –noun
1. an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
2. Bible. a. an image of a deity other than God. b. the deity itself.
3. any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion.

While normally associated with religion, idols can represent anything (see 3 above).

I hope those of you who love, adore, or worship the flag aren't christians, else your breaking one of the commandments:

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

IMO, God doesn't want people getting caught up in symbols because they detract from what's really important. Great examples on this thread of people being more upset about how the flag is handled than by what it represents.

By the by, for those who missed my earlier post, I am a vet (Gulf War) and come from a military family (father - Korea/Vietnam, uncles - WWII/Korea, grandfather - WWI). We all agree that the flag isn't as important as the rights and freedoms for which it stands - even my uncle, the Marine that served in the South Pacific.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAP811
We all agree that the flag isn't as important as the rights and freedoms for which it stands - even my uncle, the Marine that served in the South Pacific.

EXACTLY! Well said, Cap! That hits it on the head. It is the reality behind the symbol that matters. We could use a cupcake to represent the freedoms in America... such as they remain.

The symbol is nice, and has its very definite purposes. The reality behind the symbol is what matters, and what has been fought and died for.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline
No the people who say this are vetrans or sons,fathers,mothers,brothers of veterans.You must not be any of these things BH.

I am a SISTER of a Vietnam vet. I don't know why you excluded sisters. My brother was a Marine in Vietnam, so you are incorrect in your assumption.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Yeah, you didn't need to do the text thing, i was just talking about the stars flipped on the bottom right when its a sticker instead of just flipping it over so the stars on the bottom left.

I know about the wind, its been known about for a while lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
"I'm amazed anything thinks this is an issue"

please explain, you are amazed by anything and you think this is an issue?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

lol yeah i wasnt able to draw it out as clearly as i wanted to in the text field (i tried
)

But my point still stands, if the purpose of the upside down flag applies to a FLAG code, which is consistant with a physical flag and not a sticker, what would the difference make between a flag and a sticker.

Certainly the sticker you provide is acceptable for distress as the example on the brochure.

Reason being?
A REAL flag depicts either image depending on perspective and wind direction

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
"20 Million homeless and increasing"....19,999,999 addicted and mentally ill. I was homeless addicted and mentally ill, I used existing social services to become self sufficient. God Bless America.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hannamtong
"20 Million homeless and increasing"....19,999,999 addicted and mentally ill. I was homeless addicted and mentally ill, I used existing social services to become self sufficient. God Bless America.

I'm afraid i don't follow you?

What does this have to do with the Flag?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
All greater armies are usually driven by either religion or patriotism. Both use symbols to assist in increasing the emotions that trigger humans to be loyal and to fight harder. If the drive is eliminated the armed force will become weak and will eventually be replaced by an opposing force.

The idea of America is great; continues to strive towards perfect freedom.... however that is something that cannot be achieved while human nature stands.
Solar systems, planets and political countries have systems. When a body made up by systems becomes infected... it will increase its temperature to the point of damaging itself to repel the disease within.

Politically correct yourself into weakness. Hate the symbol, enjoy the symbol. The reset is coming. It always does, always has.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Woops, wrong thread!

Sorry about that.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Do you really think someone running for president of the United States would go out of their way to potentially offend a majority of its citizens?

Then they are stupid.

Don't they have any checkers, who sound the alarm bells, that would say hey! this might be misconstrued?

This might not be a good idea?

Someone might take it the wrong way?

They have made a lot of tactical errors.

Maybe a Hillary supporter designed it?

How smart is this?
Obama lets Clinton grab his spotlight
www.nhregister.com...

That Obama he is such a card.

It's a conspiracy, don't you see?

[edit on 113131p://bWednesday2008 by Stormdancer777]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join