It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNC convention passes feature upside down US flag.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline
No the people who say this are vetrans or sons,fathers,mothers,brothers of veterans.You must not be any of these things BH.

I know who is saying these things. And if veterans fought for our rights (one being the first amendment), then why are they upset when we exercise the very rights they fought for???

Its called respect for something you belive in like our freedom and the people who have fought for it.

If they fought for my freedom (which I believe they have), then why get upset when I (or anyone) exercise the freedom they fought for???

I don't know anything about you other then you are an Obama supporter and that says quit a bit.

Yes, it does.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
Ahh thats the worst part about being 18 is nobody sees you for who you are, they just see that your 18 and stupid hahaha.

Just wanted to say that some people see you for who you are.
I do. I hear you and agree with you and I'm a 50 year old woman.

You have asked some compelling questions here and I have the same ones. But jam has one thing right. You can't argue with a brick wall.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde

I'm amazed anything thinks this is an issue

Anyone can mirror an image and put it on the internet. That image of Bush is a mirror. DuH.

VDOG.45

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VDOG.45

That picture of GW Bush holding the flag backward is on the official White House News Release page. Are you suggesting they mirrored the picture?? Duh!

How about this one?

Or this?

What's the deal with this guy?

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I can just picture Obama saying this about the guy who printed up the tickets,

"this is obviously a mistake, this is not the printer I know and have known for the past 20 years.......

Go - obama - go....right into the gutter where you belong.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso
I can just picture Obama saying this about the guy who printed up the tickets,

"this is obviously a mistake, this is not the printer I know and have known for the past 20 years.......

Go - obama - go....right into the gutter where you belong.

Isnt it funny how all Obama bashing always resorts to this after the bash its self has been dispelled or defeated?

I can't wait for the next one.

You can look at the flag 1 of two ways:

To be messed with
or
Not to be messed with

The official law agrees with the latter.
There are flag codes that allow upside down - "distress" mode
There are no laws that say you can write on the flag

Bush wrote on the flag
McCain wrote on the flag

I only bring it up to mirror how stupid this argument is.
I could, personally, give a damn less if they write on the flag.

But since this is about the DNC, and we contrast it to the GOP

i believe it'd be only fitting to point out that Bush and McCain are the ones handing out - technically - illegal autographs.

And the GOP runs with ads of OBAMA being the celebrity?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Jeez I didn't know there were so many WWII vets on here being as that was the last war that was fought for " freedom".

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

None of which are printed convention passes or upside down flags. Exactly what comparison are you trying to make here?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

An upside down flag is a sign of distress. Its not illegal.

What exactly are you trying to get at?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

An upside down flag is a sign of distress. Its not illegal.

What exactly are you trying to get at?

Who ever said it was illegal?

If the DNC feel thats an appropriate design than more power to them. I also have a right to point it out and let others decide how they feel about it.

Yes a sign off distress, but also a common theme in anti-US rallies.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
www.9news.com...

The viewers say with the stars and blue field in the lower left corner, it looks like an upside down American flag. Published flag etiquette states the stars should always be displayed in the upper left corner. An upside down flag represents an international symbol of extreme distress.

"...it is a stylized flag designed to blend the stars on Senator Obama's shirt with the flag blowing in the wind." -Obama Campaign

I suppose this is just ANOTHER misunderstanding? Either way, its hilarious. Especially when combined with all his other gaffes concerning the flag and country.

Obama's picture shows a nation in crisis.

republicinpieces.tripod.com...

Theres been pictures of flags i've seen on cop cars that are upside down but the stars are on the right bottom. The right bottom side is distress. Though the difference between crisis and distress are some what different i think.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Quickfix]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I see. My apologies for insinuating you were saying it was an illegal thing.

I based my assumptions in lines with many accusations that obama could be arrested for altering the presidential seal (also disproved mud slinging at obama)

Any anti-us demonstration i've ever seen demonstrates flag burning

i haven't seen that here....
Its a universal signal. (upside down flag)

That'd be like calling the Cross a sign of evil because the KKK uses it....

doesnt make any sense to me

[edit on 8/19/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

your link is broken

doiesnt bring anything up for me

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Exactly what comparison are you trying to make here?

Hey, Dronetek? Look at my previous post. See that little "Reply to" notation at the top? See how I was replying to VDOG? Now, go see what HIS post says and maybe my post will make more sense to you.
Maybe not, but it's worth a try.

Here, let me help. VDOG asserted that Bush with a flag was a mirror image of the real picture. I showed him that it was not. I also showed HIM that there were other ways that people treated the ACTUAL flag (not a picture or stylized version of the flag) that was actual desecration, namely Bush and McCain.

If you still don't get it, I'm afraid you'll have to get someone else to explain it to you.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I know it was a link to show the flag on the bottom right. The google to wikipedia link didn't work for i don't know what reason.

Heres the flag i sometimes see on cop cars.

robertcolpitts.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Well, one could look at this two ways. If you want to get upset over the use of the flag as a disrespect, ie using it in any sort of advertisement, I can understand that. But you will go blue in the face, even in red states, preaching about the made in china Flag memorabilia people pollute the world with. A flag is a flag, and loses its honor when turned into cowboy shirts and swim trunks.

But the use of an upside down flag by Obama's campaign symbolically is in step with the campaign's mantra of Change. Change to the dire situation in Washington D.C. Maybe the OP is upset because they feel duped that Obama's campaign is so smart in their use of symbolism?

It can't be that he doesn't think Obama has a so called 'case' when it comes to "a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property"

What do you call the Iraq War and Home Foreclosures? Maybe all the web 2.0 graphics and flash animations have hypnotized some into not realizing what a dire situation the United States is in. Friends, it could all go down in a hurry. My friends, the United States is in a very fragile place with its economy. If we are not careful, our grandchildren will still be paying our debts to the Chinese in the form of forced labor.

DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Lets look at a flag as it waves above the white house today

See how the field of stars is on the upper left hand corner?

Thats because the loopholes on the flag are on that side

so

flying it upside down - traditionally - would put the field of stars on the bottom left hand corner

of course

it all depends on which way the wind is blowing.

THe official code says "upside down"

In order to appease your rendition of the field of stars, loopholes would have to be placed on both sides of flag...or

a wind machine should be placed on the proper side of every building in order to get the flag to wave in the direction suitable with your rendition of the field of stars.

Either way

its an upside down flag in accordance with the official flag code.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Barry Obama wants to at the very least appear to love or care about America, in spite of what his prior words and actions indicate.

Just a cheap political ploy to help paint him as a red blooded, flag waving patriot ....as opposed to appearing as the radical communist that he actually is.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Most members hear are constantly discussing the negative changes taking place in America like big brother goggle spying, broken border fences, mortgage crisis, bank runs, and the very erosion of our constitutional rights.

And that's media sensationalism for you. The sky isn't falling, not yet.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If they fought for my freedom (which I believe they have), then why get upset when I (or anyone) exercise the freedom they fought for???

This is absolutely preposterous. Freedom of speech is not freedom from scrutiny or freedom to be heard. You have the right to say what you want; others also have the right to tell you that what you're saying makes you a bigot, or an idiot, or rude, etc. Freedom doesn't mean immunity, and it never will; it just means that you won't go to jail for it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
You have the right to say what you want; others also have the right to tell you that what you're saying makes you a bigot, or an idiot, or rude, etc. Freedom doesn't mean immunity, and it never will; it just means that you won't go to jail for it.

and thus starts the infinite cycle of criticism.

you criticize me for criticizing you and justify it by saying that you can criticize my criticism of things that you have fought for the right of me to criticize.

And then i criticize you for criticizing my criticism, and you respond by criticizing that ...etc.

OR

You can look at it this way:

You take pride in the fact that you fought so i can gripe
That'd be like a boss handing out bonus checks for a job well done, and then telling all the employee's that they're fired.

When you criticize my opinion of certain "leaders" in this country - you are criticizing my right to express myself.

Why fight for a right that you dont like in the first place?

[edit on 8/19/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join