DNC convention passes feature upside down US flag.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
reply to post by beaverg

Very nice story. One I have heard many times. But the flag that flew that day and what it stands for is completely different thanwhat that flag means today.

Very true, our flag hardly stands for the same things it did 200 years ago. But to be honest I don't think, even after abandoning the principles of our founding fathers, that there is a flag more worthy of praise. I may have come off harsh with my last comment, sorry. But I do hold this country dear.

I also hope directing the comment at you didn't keep other people from reading it as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecandyman

I proudly fly my flag every day upside down. America is in great distress.

I apologize for being ignorant. But how are we not better off than the rest of the world?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thecandyman

Fly it upside down if you want and I don't question your patriotism.. I fly mine the right way. And I am still fighting to preserve my freedom even out of uniform. However, I believe in fighting against those who have corrupted our system. Politicians who continue to promise to fix the same issues that politicians before them have promise to fix. The problems are still here. Obama and McCain are those politicians. Our flag still represents freedom.

It is the politician that no longer represent our freedom. But as long as people are willing to play the two party system we will continue to get these kind of politicians. Both mean well but their party platform is too strong to overcome.
Their best chance to resolve our issues were as US Senators.

I find it amazing that they have all these great plans to save America but we must wait till they get elected before we see action. Meanwhile America continues to decline.

If they really cared for America they would have been in Congress everyday working together since the first day they decided to run for President lobbying their members to pass legislation that America urgently needs. No quick fixes, God to honest long term fixes. But that is asking too much from two politicians who prefer the Presidency over America.

Why wait to fix things tomorrow when you can begin fixing them now.

My flag didn't attack my freedom, politicians did. My flag will always fly high.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Excellently put! I would say that we are on the same page (even if we fly our flags in different directions) :-) The only true way to make change is to start at the local level and work your way up. I'm in a group of people that are doing just that... but it is hard. We run into so many people that still believe that America is wonderful and the government is doing all the right things. I call this being blind. While the government is giving people something in one hand (medicare, Stimulus Payments, food stamps) it's taking much more out of our other hand. It's going to be a hard fight! Just look at all the people that scream they want change, they want a real man with integrity running our country - then they vote for McCain or Obama and dump Ron Paul. Guess we keep fighting until enough people wake up.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
[edit on 19-8-2008 by antar]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

How do we vote other than the two party system? Diabold will not allow us to do anything but what they choose.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg

Originally posted by thecandyman

I proudly fly my flag every day upside down. America is in great distress.

I apologize for being ignorant. But how are we not better off than the rest of the world?

I don't believe you to be ignorant... maybe just of a different opinion than I am. I'll just tell it like I see it and why.

My great grandpa used to tell us all the stories of Italy under Mussolini (a dictator much like Hitler) and compare it to how great America was. As an adult now, many of the stories that my papa told me are coming true here in America also. First they started numbering us with the SS card ... and then they took over our schools. Next they started taking over natural resourses and public works. Then they started immunization and drug testing without public knowlege. Then came the flouride in schools and eventually into all our water supply. How about the media - they have total control over all media sources. All the propoganda - Mussolini was an expert at propoganda... and today, American Government is the expert. Government has driven out all the Industry jobs in America and now pretty much what is left is a service industry. Television is a joke, especially if you watch it for the news. Our money is about to bottom out. Our President is the biggest political joke the world has ever seen. The gov puts more of our tax money into other countries to bomb and rebuild them (which it never rebuilds it just pays off Haliburton and other contractors) than it puts into fixing our own country. Our gov runs our churches yet we can't have any religion in schools or government. We send the most aid to Isreal who imo is just a corrupt extension of the NeoCon Government that we have currently running our country. This is not the government that our country was founded on... it is not the America that many fought for any longer. It is NOT the same America that that flag once stood so tall for. We have let them, step by step, take it away from us. It's our fault. We aren't even suppose to have a standing army let alone be fighting in all these other countries. We have forgotten that the people are suppose to have the power over our government not the Government have the power to walk all over the people. The military state is coming... just look around at all the police forces that are using military rifles and stun guns now. I could go on and on about what is wrong in America today... but all it takes is looking around you. Read history of other countries and see how they fell. It will show you the path our Government is taking us on right now.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

It won't be done this election i admit and I don't have all the answers. We need to start getting independents into Congress who are willing to serve no more than 4 or 6 years ( in writing) that are willing to tackle the real issues America faces. We need to quit re-electing the same people who have already demonstrated that they have no initiative to get the job done. All talk and no action.

Politicians have turned Congress into a personal Goldmine. All their buddies are getting rich as well as any company that has a contract with the US Government. Just look at the Real ID law and see what company will prosper.
Tired of the BS that the 2 party system is doling out. They just don't care.

If you have any idea let's open up a thread and pass them around.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

Sorry, Beaver, but....no. This was the war of 1812, dude, not the Revolutionary War. The United States wasn't the 13 colonies anymore...you're off by almost 40 years. Francis Scott Key only went to negotiate for the release of one prisoner. Afterwards, he was allowed to return to his ship (with the man who accompanied him and the prisoner), they just didn't let him leave. During the Battle of Baltimore (the defense of Fort McHenry) there were nineteen British ships, not "hundreds" or the entire fleet. And only 4 people in Fort McHenry died that day.

reply to post by theendisnear69

No actually I have never been punched in the face or threatened. I wear it upside down proudly. I also wear alot of political shirts. Yeah i'm 18. Maybe thats the problem with America everyone gets old and "keeps their mouths shut".

I just mean that it makes some people prejudge you. You want to stay away from religion and politics when trying to make friends or present yourself. But I'm not really in a position to lecture you, we're the same age.

Why wouldn't you wear them? Atleast get your voice heard. You keep quiet for fear of being criticized?

Nah, just because I know that some things irritate people. Besides, going on about how America sucks and is broken and whatever is really silly; you might not like a lot of it, but calling "distress" is pure sensationalism - letting the media get to you.

NO I like it just fine hear in Amerika. But we are raping the rest of the world. I hate the country because we don't share what good things we have. Americans are some of the most selfish people I have met. I lived in England and Iceland. Nothing compares to American selfishness. Instead we are invading small countries that have "WMDs".

See, this is a very childish way of looking at it. Very extreme, silly, sensational, etc. This isn't really the point of this thread, but if you want to elaborate, feel free to U2U (instead of further derailing this). Should be interesting.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thecandyman

I agree with most everything you say, the only thing I don't really agree with wholeheartedly is that our president (alone) is a joke. I disagree with his foreign, social, and economic policies (lmao) but Congress and Senate deserve criticism in the same breath, every time.

Problem is our poor ability to draw a line in the sand. We need to seek it out and find that it is not crossed.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Thank you for the reply/constructive criticism John. The quote I linked come from a speech given to Marines before a mission (of some sort). I apologize for the historical inaccuracies that the speech provides, I'll be honest, I didn't check it's accuracy. But I'll give the link of the speech. (Dagnabit, it's freeRep. I boycotted that place back in Jan-Feb) LINK
To be truthful I haven't even checked the accuracy of your claim, but it's 2am here and I'm getting slothful.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

It's not even your speech, don't worry.
I guess I'm just a nitpicking asshole.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
See I try not to get into the mix of this partisan muck raking that comes with the election fiasco.

I am a realist and I understand that America as a country has a lot of issues and has been in decline for quite some time now. In most instances I am not uber patriotic, at least not in the sense that I buy into the politico bullsmack that permeates from both sides of the fence on a daily basis.

That being said, I am extremely protective of our flag and what it stands for. The flag represents to me every great ideal that this country was founded upon. Not only that, but it represents the blood that has been shed for America by great generations past who have sacrificed everything so that we may live free.

To me desecration and disrespect of the flag is a blatant insult not only for me personally but also for every American who has come before me. You can hold anti government stances, you can stand against the crooked and corrupt politicians who have hijacked our country, you can even go as far as to hate what your country has been reduced to in the last decade as a whole. I will stand firmly behind your right to think and say whatever you wish.

But to desecrate and disrespect the American flag is wrong and I cannot and will not support anyones right to do so. It is the ultimate level of disrespect, and a country that doesnt respect itself or its founding principles is doomed to failure.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I would have pointed out the inaccuracies I if I was aware of them as well. But seriously why be such a nit-picking azz?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

reply to post by AndrewTB

Ahh I have been to plenty of countries.

So please tell me what makes this flag so special?

Visit The UK and you are constantly watched by cameras everywhere you go.

Visit Russia and don't count on being around long if you have your own political beliefs and speak up about em.

Visit Iran and you lose pretty much any right you have.

Visit China and be told you have freedom of relegion only to go missing when you practice it.

Theres are all a few very very small examples.

In the US you are free to do almost anything. Sure you cant do whatever drugs you want, but your pretty much free to believe in and practice whatever the heck you want.

Than again from the nature of your posts, i take it your the type that sees Amsterdam (netherlands) as the ultimate country to live in. There are reasons why I specified that specific country.

Some say that war has made us hated and weak from too much spending, then there is this kind of thing and I see people mad as hell over the flag and people ready to give a texas style beating over it, It makes me see otherwise, I see our soldiers becoming more experienced in actual guerrilla warfare, now combined with European type, jungle type, beach type, just about every kind of type of combat, I don't see us as weak, but more deadly.
some of us are lucky, we actually don't have to live in that serious of a world, not a soldier, not having to take on life-taking , life-saving missions of life and death, and that flag is what keeps a soldier going, lots of daily ceremony attached to the flag, waking up , going to bed, every kind of ceremony. After all folks, we have it pretty easy in the USA, people eat themselves to death, party and die from drugs, lay on there butts and collect unemployment, basically allowed to do whatever we want till the day we die, can't we just give the soldier the simple respect of the flag for them to carry out the deadly and frightening missions without them seeing someone desecrate it? sure you can easily say it is the soldier who fights to allow you to do it, it and a million other freedoms, so can you just leave that alone out of respect for them , alive and dead?

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Randy Echo]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

See I try not to get into the mix of this partisan muck raking that comes with the election fiasco.

I am a realist and I understand that America as a country has a lot of issues and has been in decline for quite some time now. In most instances I am not uber patriotic, at least not in the sense that I buy into the politico bullsmack that permeates from both sides of the fence on a daily basis.

That being said, I am extremely protective of our flag and what it stands for. The flag represents to me every great ideal that this country was founded upon. Not only that, but it represents the blood that has been shed for America by great generations past who have sacrificed everything so that we may live free.

To me desecration and disrespect of the flag is a blatant insult not only for me personally but also for every American who has come before me. You can hold anti government stances, you can stand against the crooked and corrupt politicians who have hijacked our country, you can even go as far as to hate what your country has been reduced to in the last decade as a whole. I will stand firmly behind your right to think and say whatever you wish.

But to desecrate and disrespect the American flag is wrong and I cannot and will not support anyones right to do so. It is the ultimate level of disrespect, and a country that doesnt respect itself or its founding principles is doomed to failure.

I agree with you on this...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Than again from the nature of your posts, i take it your the type that sees Amsterdam (netherlands) as the ultimate country to live in. There are reasons why I specified that specific country.

Wait what's so bad about the netherlands?

And why do you use three of the worst examples to compare your country to? Iran? China? Russia? You're applauding yourself for being above THEIR standards? That is pretty sad my friend. And that alone goes to show what kind of situation the US is in.

That and your avatar

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Such drama.

I bet most of those in an uproar think its okay to wrap the flag around their sweaty foreheads or have dripped barbecue sauce on their American flag button up shirts.

I'll never forget the sight I saw one night of a group of screaming yahoos blaring down the street in a pickup truck with a giant American flag attached to the back. It was so huge it was almost dragging on the ground.

I bet they thought that made them real patriots.

Let's say this WAS intended to symbolize the country in distress (which I doubt). Most members hear are constantly discussing the negative changes taking place in America like big brother goggle spying, broken border fences, mortgage crisis, bank runs, and the very erosion of our constitutional rights. So now some of you stand wide-eyed and enraged at a symbol of America in distress?

Please.

This is about Obama not the flag.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Let's say this WAS intended to symbolize the country in distress (which I doubt). Most members hear are constantly discussing the negative changes taking place in America like big brother goggle spying, broken border fences, mortgage crisis, bank runs, and the very erosion of our constitutional rights. So now some of you stand wide-eyed and enraged at a symbol of America in distress?

Please.

This is about Obama not the flag.

- Lee

I think you're underestimating the care that goes into presenting an image. And yes, that goes down to these simple passes. So it shouldn't be cast aside as a simple mistake or something they overlooked.

It is there on purpose, the only question remains what purpose. I'm not in the US, nor do I care much about either of the candidates or DNC passes, but why look for excuses when you really don't know what it's about?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Hey if we want to talk about misrepresentation of the flag, then both parties lose. The republicants have the upside down stars, not to mention the law states no organization can use the flag to represent there symbol, both groups lose there. And I think it is an issue, the stars should always be in the upper left, and that image of bush just shows how he stole the elections and how he's not oour presidente. We have been fooled.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join