It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser Blinds Passenger Jet Pilot

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Thanks you Agent T.

While it doesn't end the rediculous debate.

People should not do things that danger other peoples lives.
End of story. If you want to hurt someone hurt yourself.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Imagine that.....

Cops and the media blowing things up to make it out as ... ah screw it, not worth smokin my neural logic for a reason why.

Homeland security at its finest.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Peepers

I often wonder..How does a reporter get a hold of stories like this?.
Do you get press wandering around airports asking everyone if "anything interesting happened today?"..

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Great post mate and illustrates exactly what I've learned and experienced with lasers and planes.

The 300mW video should give people an idea of how damn bright that would be if it was in your eye. There is enough ENERGY to light a match. That's a darn huge amount of light hitting you in a cockpit. I know I wouldn't be wanting that on short final!

There is a yearly Christmas show here in Auckland called Christmas in the park. They have large pro laser setups (probably upwards of a few watts) and they do a fantastic job. During the show the lasers stopped for a few minutes. I whipped out my 100mW and briefly let rip into the sky... at least 3-400 people turned around and looked at me. It looked just like the lasers from the show.. of course I quickly switched it off

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I hope one of the jerks does it to a military chopper in a warzone... the Laser Warning System would light up like a christmas tree and the next thing the Angels of death would be all over them...

The images you posted said the pilots were exposed to a one second flash as handheld lasers wouldn't be held steady. They agree with it not being held steady but still one whole second?

Again after reviewing the images I see where we may be disagreeing.

I understand.

However them pictures used a weak 5mw laser... not a 300mw laser that is available... imagine that. Although it most likely will not damage eyesight, it will mess there night vision up for the rest of the night, not to mention it's harassment with malicious intent.

Yes it is an instinct, but obviously when the kid pushed the button it wasn't't immediately on the plane, and the pilots could have saw it coming and not looked at it? Der?

Why does it happen then, genius?

I CBF responding to everything else you've said because I don't believe you have had any experience with LASER's, but I thought I would teach you something... That photo of the plane cockpit and green LASER is misleading. That beam is being projected by someone standing in front of the plane, not kilometers away.

Well pay attention & actually look at the pictures.

It's not misleading at all.

Oh yeah, and I didn't say much. Read the articles I posted. LOOK and READ. One more thing, why do you think you have to inform authorities if you get lasers shined at you? Why do they put them in ATIS? For fun?

Ya, pilot error, the skies are filled with them.

The skies are filled with pilot error? Disrespectful and incorrect... & yeah, is that supposed to be an piss poor excuse for shining lasers at planes?

All you critical thinkers spouting off how you would do this and that or the punishment the authorities should meat out to anyone doing this should get serious. I wanna read laser awareness rather than back slapping, crowd pleaser tough guy rebuttals.

My post was aimed at more of the people who think this is impossible. It happens very, very, often. I fly recreationally so yes, it really pisses me off that I can be harassed while trying to gain experience, not to mention Lasers will eventaully get banned at this rate.

Sure, create education programs and perhaps give pilots laser protection if that's possible. I cannot see why stringing up the bastards is a bad thing either. Sure, reduce exposure to this sort of thing... that's a fantastic idea. And I admit it can be overblown... but either way, it's something that needs to be addressed.

How come we don't read or hear news about lasers pointed at the drivers of automobiles or commercial trucks that can kill many people at a time if crashed or motorcyclist.

How many times do we read about people walking up to random people and shining it there eyess? We don't. You know why? Because they'll get beaten up... cars will pull over and beat the person up. You cannot exactly do it in an aeroplane.

[edit on 21/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Lol, are you paranoid and delusional there CObuzz.

Your words were "Disrespectful and incorrect" but still the danger from Pilots drunk in the air, captains make the wrong calls, control towers screw up and the list goes on is very real and on the record. I have yet to hear a laser brought a commercial or military craft down. Can you say laser hype BS story.

You also wrote, "I fly recreation ally so yes, it really pisses me off that I can be harassed while trying to gain experience". Do you understand that statement. Do you believe you are a risk to yourself and others when flying now. Because you showed all of us, the readers of your minds position, your emotional state when in control of an aircraft. Not good my friend.

You made me laugh, and I'm sure other readers to, with that line about drivers (you wrote, "they'll get beaten up... cars will pull over and beat the person up.") in cars would beat someone up for shining a laser in there eyes. First ya gotta see them and catch them, so beating some one up maybe way out of the question when zooming down the interstate during rush hour.

What made you think my critical statement was aimed at specifically you that you needed to respond the way you did, or, are you responding for those it was meant for because you are a champion for the other causes.

If it will help your state of mind, I thought you put some rather meaningful time and effort into your previous post of facts. Unlike what you wrote in this post which makes you a scary individual which I would not trust my life flying with you at the controls.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peepers
You also wrote, "I fly recreation ally so yes, it really pisses me off that I can be harassed while trying to gain experience". Do you understand that statement. Do you believe you are a risk to yourself and others when flying now. Because you showed all of us, the readers of your minds position, your emotional state when in control of an aircraft. Not good my friend.

why don't you stop baiting him and adress the issue, maybe even by a simple experiment: slowly ride a bike alonga marked straight line at night and have a friend shine a decent flashlight at you, maybe even turn it on and off in rapid succession.

if you're distracted and drift away from the line, you've just crashed.

even without the prospect of eye damage, distraction is a very real issue, why do you think some legislations banned mobile phone use while driving? landing a jet at night is certainly something which requires some amount of concentration, so why again are you trying to minimize the whole issue?

it may be blown out of proportion, too, but given the frightening statements wrt lasers (look into 100mW laser a few seconds... wtf?) did you know that there are exposure limits on 5mW pointers already?

Your words were "Disrespectful and incorrect" but still the danger from Pilots drunk in the air, captains make the wrong calls, control towers screw up and the list goes on is very real and on the record. I have yet to hear a laser brought a commercial or military craft down. Can you say laser hype BS story.

ridicule it all you want, there are dangerous lasers out there, which are weapons for all intents an purposes and i for one am unwilling to wait for a crash which can be clearly attributed to laser blinding until i point out the problems.

what kind of F**** up logic is that anyway?

people are negligient, so why not me, too? seriously?

if you people know what's good for you, don't use hacked lasers in public. murphy Will have his way, eventually. enclosed spaces without unocverd windows only! that way you'll only blind yourselves. you wouldn't be goofing around with firearms, would you?
or would you?

that comparison isn't far off by any means and these precautions would certainly reduce the risk of a total ban on all handheld lasers, which is only a matter of time under the given circumstances. one crash will be more than enough and i can't really blame anyone, even though it would be futile.

[edit on 2008.8.21 by Long Lance]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Perhaps a responsible response is in order rather than rabble on about flying and getting pissed and beating people up. Thats the real baiting goin on here.

Since you brought it up. why don't you provide the conclusive research of your brilliant scientific study on riding your bike with your friend(s) flash light in your eyes. Your idea, you do it, and be sure you document it well with utube video. I'd be interested in seeing it. Although I have no idea what that has to do with getting a laser in the eye, it still will show us you have a geniune interest in proving something..

Nothing was ridiculed, the quote you cited was my response to being reported as disrespectfull and incorrect for pointing out pilot errors happen without a laser blast to the visuals of a pilot.

Like it or not, lasers are now on the list to be banned by homeland security. Thats the focus on these aircraft media cop driven stories of lasers observed and reported by aircraft pilots. On another note, take a camera and point it at a cop. No harm done but I bet the cop will grab your camera. Get the picture........

Can anyone provide 1 link with a pilot being blinded by a laser and a plane crashing because of the pilot being blinded.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
It would be nice if you spell my name correctly.
If it makes you feel better, nice condescending tone too, but I hate to ask, but, is that the only way you can argue?

Yes, it is disrespectful and incorrect. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) stated that your chances of being killed in a motorcar accident is 1 in 5,000. If you decide to travel by train, your odd of dying due to a train crash is reduced to around 1 in 400,000. In an airplane, it varies from 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 10,000,000 depending on the reputation of the airlines you are going to travel on. Are we supposed to say that because 'trains are riddled with mistakes ' and 'roads are filled with drunk drivers', that it's ok to shine lasers at trains and cars simply because there has been no documented case of a laser causing a crash?

My previous post:

Sure, create education programs and perhaps give pilots laser protection if that's possible. I cannot see why stringing up the bastards is a bad thing either. Sure, reduce exposure to this sort of thing... that's a fantastic idea. And I admit it can be overblown... but either way, it's something that needs to be addressed.

Nice try.

When I read about idiots doing this it fustrates me... yes.... & when people think it's fake it fustrates me too... I am not flying and looking around for lasers with a welders mask on, however.
Could you narrow the part down where I stated my emotional state in aircraft? Because I do not remember making any statement on that. Do you usually make assumptions on people you've never met?

You made me laugh, and I'm sure other readers to, with that line about drivers (you wrote, "they'll get beaten up... cars will pull over and beat the person up.") in cars would beat someone up for shining a laser in there eyes. First ya gotta see them and catch them, so beating some one up maybe way out of the question when zooming down the interstate during rush hour.

If someone is standing on the edge of a highway with a >5mw laser then you're likely to see the beam, as would hundreds of others 'zooming down the interstate'. It is likely the other cars could get the address & call the cops. I'm sure many would even stop & lead to a confrontation. Would you say the same for aircraft?

The point I'm trying to make is, there's a reason lasers are rarely reported hitting cars. It's FAR more likely to get the perpetrator caught or atleast in trouble - so I doubt anyone is stupid enough to do that - thus I do not think it's the sensationalistic news only reporting it for aircraft.

Oh yeah, and apparently readers liked my post.
Count the stars & compare...

Unlike what you wrote in this post which makes you a scary individual which I would not trust my life flying with you at the controls.

Well I'm sorry if I offended you or mistook what you said. I'll make more of an effort in future (& to not post when already pissed off at something).

Can anyone provide 1 link with a pilot being blinded by a laser and a plane crashing because of the pilot being blinded.

There has been cases of lasers damaging eyesight of pilots... no crashes thankfully. Not to mention your question is rhetorical and has little to do with the topic at hand.

[edit on 22/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peepers

Since you brought it up. why don't you provide the conclusive research of your brilliant scientific study ...

more baiting....

scientific study? youtube? how did you get there? i KNOW how problematic car lights can be, from experience, so i certainly don't doubt the potential for distraction (before even going into eye injuries) and therefore i wouldn't be impartial enough to proove anything. YT is a fake tool, just search for UFO cases.

i wanted you to verify for yourself how dangerous flash blindness can be, that's all.

Like it or not, lasers are now on the list to be banned by homeland security. Thats the focus on these aircraft media cop driven stories of lasers observed and reported by aircraft pilots. On another note, take a camera and point it at a cop. No harm done but I bet the cop will grab your camera. Get the picture........

probably true, totalitarians don't care much about people so they're probably trying to ban lasers because they fear they might be used against themselves, as a weapon during civil unrest.

in that case, i say don't give the gun and laser grabbers a chance by shooting up schools and, on a much lesser scale, lasing planes until one crashes.

if a pilot reported a laser and crashed a few seconds later, for totally unrelated reasons, guess what the media would do? thinking of it, they'd probably invent an incident if they really wanted to, so don't give the issue notoriety.

keep strong lasers out of peoples' faces unless you're willing to escalate towards lethal force. you'd better have a real good reason, too.

so, now we'll have to wait for 200 people to die until you acknowledge the possibility. nice priorities there and what for?

[edit on 2008.8.22 by Long Lance]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I know full well the both of you understood without a doubt, my written words. So, that will be enough foolishness derailing the topic.

Now, on to some information about homeland security and lasers.

A memo sent to law enforcement agencies by the FBI and the Homeland Security Department in 2004 said there is evidence that terrorists have explored using such lasers as weapons. Clenney said pointing laser beams at airplanes could be considered a terrorist act under the USA Patriot Act and could carry up to 20 years in prison.

The source of the media details

So, there we have it. Homeland security stirring the pot and oh so eager cops with the help of ready to hump a story media putting it together. I will bet, the pilots are told to report any light source entering the cockpit. So the details can be a flash light or laser or car high beams reflecting on the pilots face making it into a laser incident database report.

As long as there is a story of lasers and planes, there will be copy cats repeating it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
So if just one lazer pointer can blind someone for a couple of seconds what would 100 or 500 lazer pointers tied togeather be able to do.I am guessing at a distance 100 or 500 lazers pointers would look like a much larger light.i am also guessing the blindness could even last longer or even damage eyesight.Would this be classed as a direct energy weapon.Maybe the russians or chinese are looking into weapons like this.Hope not.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join