It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the most unbelievable story in the bible in YOUR opinion???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
SUNday was made because of a king who worshiped the SUN...

thats another topic though...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
In my opinion, that is like asking wether or not trolls or leprechauns are more rediculous. I think the bible has some footholds in fact here and there, but thats about it.To me, though, I would have to say that the most rediculous part of the bible is the way god is portrayed throughout. According to the bible, god is in serious need of a good prozac regimen.

No matter how many times you point out this stuff though, some people will still hold strongly to thier beliefs. I love to hear them try to generalise things though. Its pretty funny. The only thing popular Christianity is good for is creating excuses for its continued existence.

The hardest part too is trying to figure out where they are using slang and where they arent. The pillar of salt thing is a prime example. Back then, if you called someone a pillar of salt, it meant that they were infertile, if Im not mistaken.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'd have to say the creeping death coming for all of Egypt's first born, would be the most unbelieable story.

Nothing like getting revenge at the pharaoh by killing children...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't, or can't, believe that it is the word of god. Period. The original texts may have been the word of god, but the bible isn't... it is a collection of parts of the original texts put together as propoganda. Period. It is a collection of texts from the originals, selected by MAN to further his own agenda, and to use as population control. Period.

What better reason for war than holiness?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well, either Noah, Adamn and Eve, or the whale story.

The guy taken to heaven on a chariot was abducted by an alien, they just thought it was god.

And back to Noah, can't happen. Sorry, no way in hell. First, all animals. If the world were to flood you would need to get the salt water fish and freshwater fish. Why? Because the water would mix, the water would be to salty for freshwater and to fresh for saltwater fish.

Sorry, Titanic times 10 wouldn't be big enough.

Then, with the plagues of Moses, a volcano is to blame for the first nine. The last one is bs at best. Then the reed sea was split, not red, they translated it wrong. How was it split? Tidal wave. The reed sea was about 3 feet deep to about 20 feet deep at all times. But with a tidal wave, the water receeds from the area, like in Hawaii, the waters receeded for over 200 feet, the people went out and collectd shells, fish, so forth before the wave came and killed them. So Moses and his people cross the receeded reed sea, and when the army of Egypt come, the Tidal Wave hits.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
they're all about as unbelievable as The 3 Little Pigs

ME

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Interpretations of . . .

Is the most unbelievable to ME.~

What I mean is, being TOLD what it 'means' or says.

In my experience, believeing the way that I do, most stories are quite adequate in revealing.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
good points people...

i also agree with you and your ideas...

these stories COULD have been strechted from some ORIGINAL truth BUT nobody knows for shure...

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Wow, there's soooo many from beginning to end. Geez, just one? Hmmm, I'll have to say that whole hallucination at the end - Revelations.

But then there are the two creation mythologies, Jonah, wow, like I said from beginning to end.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Many animals have been domesticated over the years.

Dogs and cats did not exist in Noah's time, same with other animals.

But still, it's very unbelievable.

To me the most unbelievable story is God having a son.

Sounds more like a comic book to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeon10101110
Wow, there's soooo many from beginning to end. Geez, just one? Hmmm, I'll have to say that whole hallucination at the end - Revelations.

That story isn't actually ment to be taken literally. Apocalyptic writing was a style of the time. The reason it contains god is because god was the driving influence when it was written. I don't know why they put it in the bible...maybe it was the one that struck the most fear into the readers?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
What about Job, he gets everyting back at the end 10 fold if my memory serves me correctly?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The "virgin" conception of Jesus. Unless God was an alien and used in vitro fertilization to impregnate Mary.
Just kidding.

I think she messed around and needed an excuse for how she was pregnant, and she was just lucky that Jesus was charismatic enough to convince everyone that he was the "son of God".

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saleb

That story isn't actually ment to be taken literally. Apocalyptic writing was a style of the time. The reason it contains god is because god was the driving influence when it was written. I don't know why they put it in the bible...maybe it was the one that struck the most fear into the readers?

Exactly what I was saying... written by man to apease his agenda of population control, basically. To me, the bible makes god out to be such a vindictive and self-centered jackass... the whole thing is unbelievable!

Read Milton's "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Regained"... these are FICTIONAL works, but there are cults that follow them just as readily as they follow the bible.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Why dont you build a time traveling machine, go to the 1800's. gather all the scientists and brilliant minds and try to explain the computer to them.

will they believe you?

try telling them that we have a robot on mars,

will they believe you?

Nope

same thing as coming today and trying to understand the mind of god.

what happened, happened. if one scentence in the bible was untrue, then the whole is a lie.

you either believe it all, or dont believe any of it.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

How about living inside a whale?? Now in my oppion that is the most unbelivable story I have ever heard!

people have been found living inside a whale before.

there are several really. first the idea that a man managed to cram all the animal species in the world into an arc

And back to Noah, can't happen. Sorry, no way in hell. First, all animals. If the world were to flood you would need to get the salt water fish and freshwater fish. Why? Because the water would mix, the water would be to salty for freshwater and to fresh for saltwater fish.

its easily possible and quite likely it happened. www.answersingenesis.org...

also the idea that humans tried to build a tower to heaven and where ultimately scattered across the world thus leading to the creation of races and different languages.

People have tried to trace languages back, theyre research has found that all languages can be traced back to ten, but from there they cannot see any links. the ten languages are compleatly different. This supports the tower of babel story.

Also you can ask why doesnt God destroy our skyscrapers then e.t.c. We build because we want to. the tower of babel was made as a sign against God. they thought if another flood would come the tower would save them. they were no longer relying on God.

The guy taken to heaven on a chariot was abducted by an alien, they just thought it was god.

"They". Only one person saw it!!!!! What on earth makes you think God would not have raised him up? Aliens dont even exist!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
that jesus is god. if he was god he couldn't have been born or died or resurrected. he would be too busy being omnipresent. he would be the crucified and the cross, and the ground beneath it. yet, when we speak of jesus, we are clearly speaking of a man who was born and later died. a special man, yes, but still a man. god has no boundries of space or time.
why would jesus address god as 'father'? do you call yourself father? do you kneel and pray to yourself? do you ask why you have forsaken yourself as you're dying(god? dying???)?

my karma ran over your dogma.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
Some peoples interpretation that GOD wrote the 10 Commandments himself via lightning strikes on the stones directly.

READ THE BIBLE MAN! God didnt write on those tablets Moses wrote them down for him!

I would argue that the flood was worldwide. But i have no evidence for this. Apart from the layers of silt/asteroids theory which works all the way round the world. If God was powerful enough to make this flood why couldnt he be powerful enough to move the kangeroos to noah!

Most unbelieveable story? dont no the bible doesnt always make scientific sense but what does that matter! Gods involved it dont have to.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The part where Jesus gets punished so much for all of mans sins, and is hanging ont eh cross. Then he forgives the guy who put him there and says "Forgive them for they know not what they do". Then all of a sudden he says "Why have you forsaken me?"??? Then he basically says "My job here is done"...Then as he's about to die he commends his soul to God.

WTF is the bit "Why have you forsaken me?" in there? Why would he say that? Isn't his trust in God enough? It's been enough up to that time, and after that time. But not at the point where he says "Why have u forsaken me?". It's like his attitude has totally changed. His beliefs have totally changed. It's like he is totally lost and a totally differnet person. Anyways.

If someone could explain that it'd be highly appreciated. Thnx

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
that jesus is god. if he was god he couldn't have been born or died or resurrected. he would be too busy being omnipresent.

Too right God is omnipresent but his son didnt need to be. He was All God / All Man. A paradox.

If he was all not all man he wouldnt be a perfect sacrifice in replace for another human. If he was only human his one rightous life would only be the perfect sacrifice to replace one sinners life. As he was God he could save everyone.

Jesus is just one part of the trinity. If you cant grasp that jesus was God how could you grasp that the trinity is 3 of God in one (another Paradox).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join