It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the most unbelievable story in the bible in YOUR opinion???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
alot of people i know dont believe in God and the truth value of the bible and i wanna know what is so hard to believe...

what is the most unbelievable story in the bible in YOUR opinion???

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Oh man! How the hell does one decide that? I will have to choose when we get some posts in here and I am reminded of all the silly things.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Some peoples interpretation that GOD wrote the 10 Commandments himself via lightning strikes on the stones directly.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
one of the curious ones and "unbelievable" for me is the Noah Ark story. I find it to be a stretch or major embellishment of the truth, whatever that is.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'd have to go with the prophesies in Revelations. Sounded like John was trippin on something.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
one of the curious ones and "unbelievable" for me is the Noah Ark story. I find it to be a stretch or major embellishment of the truth, whatever that is.

Actually, many countries have a 'flood' legend, some of which have been proved to be true. Obviously it didn't cover the whole world, but to people who rarely left their own villages, it must have seemed that the world was covered.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
i don't doubt a flood, but the story is very exagerrated, the entire world was flooded, noah had 2 of every animal!! (as a child, I saw illustrations of the story) they had everything...the exact dimensions given by god. like i said unbelievable to me and clearly exaggerated.

you can also say the genesis story is another "unbelievable" one. but regardless of what I find unbelievable I am sure many do find them quite believable.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
dragons coming out of the sea...shining head of wisdom,mystic looking at me
He brings down the fire from the sky you can tell hes doing well by the look in human eyes..better not compromise it wont be easy

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Other than everything from beginning to end, I would have to say the fact that in genesis the life expectancies of the people that lived then. 1000 years old seems to be a bit of a stretch for my imagination for any human living or dead.

That and the fact that we all came from the dna of two people so we are all inbred. If that was the case, we know that inbreeding causes major birth defects. This tells me that the human race would have been mutants or nonexistent after probably about 5 or 6 generations. I.E. none of us would exist.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
i don't doubt a flood, but the story is very exagerrated, the entire world was flooded, noah had 2 of every animal!! (as a child, I saw illustrations of the story) they had everything...the exact dimensions given by god. like i said unbelievable to me and clearly exaggerated.

you can also say the genesis story is another "unbelievable" one. but regardless of what I find unbelievable I am sure many do find them quite believable.

Yes, its very exaggerated. And quite untrue if, as I do, you believe that that particular flood story is limited only to the small area that Noah lived in. How, for example, could he have picked up two kangaroo for example, since they only lived around Australia and at the time Australia was unknown to the people of the Middle East. I think the flood story is based on an actual event which destroyed a large area of land, taking with it Villages and Towns. I daresay that at least one person (possibly Noah) managed to get lifestock etc into a boat in order to save them.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How about living inside a whale??
Now in my oppion that is the most unbelivable story I have ever heard!

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
there are several really. first the idea that a man managed to cram all the animal species in the world into an arc is extremely ludacris. also the idea that humans tried to build a tower to heaven and where ultimately scattered across the world thus leading to the creation of races and different languages. according to that logic, why hasn't god struck down any of the space shuttles that have gone beyond the earths atomosphere countless times? lets not also forget the numerous references to the earth being flat.

ultimately though, the thing that does it for me is the idea that god is all loving and mercifull, yet if you get the slightest on his bad side, he'll curse the earth with great catosrophie and send your ass to a realm of eternal suffering. not to mention you could live a virtuous life and your ass will still goto hell because you where born into a non christian enviroment. not to mention god will say one thing in one book of the bible and then say something the complete opisite in another. personally this sounds like a god with alot of personal issues to me. when you get to the bare bones of it, the bible dosn't give god the credit that he/she deserves.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Time is relative one persons year might be another persons hour so therefore if someone lived a thousand "years" then they might have only been 50 or 60 current "years" etc.

Remember that Genesis was retold over hundreds of years, before modern day even got to the point of translating it from hebrew. Which leaves a lot of room for personal interpretation as the the right frame of reference for the amount of "time" that had passed.

And yes saving two of every kind does seem a little outlandish given the logistics of supporting the predatory creatures which would have consumed more then two of every other kind. But Noah's story is told as a fable to show an example of GOD's wrath against the wicked. How accurate or purely fantasy it is, well thats anyones guess.

AF1

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Everything in the bible. If you don't believe one part, why bother believing the rest. If it's the word of god then it all must be the word of god, right?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
That the entire universe was created in six days and is only about 6-7 thousand years old.

Thats got to be the biggest BS IMO

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I would say the Adam and Eve story and Noah's flood story are the most unbelievable because the Adam and Eve story would mean that the entire human race is inbread and Noah's flood story would make every land creature inbread from the ones he saved.

For the Noah story, I've seen a documentary that sugests that he did exist and that he lived in a large area that became flooded and that he did survive on an ark and he believed that it was the whole world that was flooded.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hmm....arc..whale...arc...whale...

Gotta go with the well because that stories UNbelievable. I honestly started looking for unicorns in the Bible after reading that story, because it is obviously fiction...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
1. In the old testament a womans hand was to be cut off if she had accidently touched her husband or his opponent by the genitliles while trying to break up a fight.

2. That one was given the death penalty for gathering firewood on the sabbath.

3. I also have trouble believing that every species of animal was placed on the ark as there are many animals that only exist in certain parts of the world. If you really think about it the whole thing is hard to swallow sometimes.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
1. In the old testament a womans hand was to be cut off if she had accidently touched her husband or his opponent by the genitliles while trying to break up a fight.

2. That one was given the death penalty for gathering firewood on the sabbath.

They cut your hand off if you shoplift in a third world country. These laws are easily believable to me.

A story that would seem unbelievable to me would probably be the one where the woman turns into a pillar of salt. Or the wall of jericho. or the story about the guy who God raised up to heaven in a chariot.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Not really a story, But the way time was. Time back then is very confusing.

And ont the seventh day he rests, is that why most people have sundays off?

Or is it because they need to go to curch?

SUNday is named so for the worship of the sun. How does it all fit together?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join