It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. at risk of cyberattacks, experts say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

U.S. at risk of cyberattacks, experts say

www.cnn.com

The next large-scale military or terrorist attack on the United States, if and when it happens, may not involve airplanes or bombs or even intruders breaching American borders.

Instead, such an assault may be carried out in cyberspace by shadowy hackers half a world a way. And Internet security experts believe that it could be just as devastating to the U.S.'s economy and infrastructure as a deadly bombing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Censoring the Internet: A Collection of Essential Links
U.S. Army Seeks Help Watching The Internet
Behind the scenes: Internet police out in force for the Olympics
Internet Censorship is On it's Way? The i-Patriot Act

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I guess they are instilling that FEAR into us to get ready for this kind of attack, so they can push their agenda for internet control. Osama Bin Laden is not working for us anymore, so now it's something more close to home. The Internet.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Wow. Did I ever see that one coming!!! A push for absolute internet control, and censorship is on the way, and they hope to see the public endorsing it I imagine.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is insane why hasn't the government stepped in sooner we need to stop this avenue of resources for terrorists.

It's time to build a safer more controlled internet with greater speed and more corporate content that is the future.
It's plain to see that letting anyone put content on the internet is a very bad idea and there definitely needs to be more controls in place I think it should require at the very least a National Security number to sign up to a site like this one preferably in the future maybe even a RFID chip.

An example of how crazy this is when groups like Al Quaeda posting beheading videos and other terrorists like Gary Mckinnon attacking us through it.

Say yes to Internet 2 for all our sakes.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
so, what they'd like to do is set up militarised cyber-intelligence and warfare units, all paid for by us, the taxpayers, to fend off the evil cyber terrorists.

Now, from my perspective, if they can't even catch the propagator of the latest internet viruses, how in the hell are they gonna fight determined cyber-criminals and terrorists?

The cynical side of me, as always, sees this as nothing more than a primer for control of the internet and the freedom we enjoy to say what we like and to discuss / scrutinise government actions. Anyone getting too vocal about the government will be deemed a radical and homegrown terrorist.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Of course, this seems like a bizarre statement since the government recently shout down its' main 'defender' against cyber-attacks

US Air Force puts Cyber Command into hibernate mode

Kind of weird timing on them telling us we are at risk...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Is this where is begins?

www.mg.co.za...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for bringing that up. A false flag cyber attack would be way easier to do. Just hack us using anyones IP address, IP spoofing, is just way to easy these days.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Here is another piece of the puzzle, the one that explains why we are currently 'at risk' for a cyber-terror attack.

Inside the Cyber Command Turf Battle

Shall we suffer an attack while the pin heads play 'capitalism'?

top topics

join