It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001: A Space Odyssey - What's the point?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by debunky
I sense a slight "It was made by old people, and old people are dumb because they dont know what we do know today" in the OP. But no worries, you get how wrong that is once you get older

Not at all. Don't know how you got that idea - but i apologies if that's what you got. I was comparing it to movies of now days in terms of movie making technology. For example, if you watch an old movie the dialogue, for example, is or seems "forced" to sound realistic. Know what i mean? In other words, listen to some old movie dialogue and ask, "did peole really talk like that?" Not really. That's just an idea - i don't mean old stuff is dumb etc. It just becomes difficult to watch. Don't know how better to put it without perhaps someone else picking something else up LOL

It's all good
and i meant no disrespect as i am, after all, not that young anymore myself

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bramski

Very interesting. Thanks.

Made a lot of sense and confirmed some thoughts and opinions.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricBat

Hmmm... how about this, HAL is us! Created by a higher "being" and just when we thought we knew it all someone flicks the switch and goes "eeeeeee! wrong" "CLICK!" Nah, maybe not. But an idea none the less.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The name of the sequel book is '2010'. Also by Clarke. In some ways I even enjoyed it more. It does plug up some questions.
Happy reading.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
I just found an e-book on 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is around 90 A4 pages. Seems to little as far as i am concerned. Does it sound about right? I don't want to read something that is a summary of the actual book but the actual book itself. Any ideas?

Yes. Go to Amazon.com, your local bookstore, or the library, and get off the computer

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There is an interesting site called a moon with a view:

www.enterprisemission.com...

it is about the one moon off of Saturn that is odd to say the least. Check it out, it talks about 2001 A Space Odyssey. To be more specific, it talks about how the original book (before the movie) was about Saturn, not Jupiter. I have not yet read the original novel, I only found the one based on the movie. But if you guys are into this, it is a good site and talks a lot about some pretty interesting topics related to this. It fits right up the alley of ATS....

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Think used book store. You need to read it.

The ape scenes are a setup for present times where humanity is about to destroy itself in a world war. It shows how little our core nature has changed as we evolve. The planet is overcrowded causing competition in the same way the apes were in competition, which leads to violence and war. The obelisks are seeds for our next step given to us to stop our mutual self destruction and the end is left open to the imagination as we are born into a new future. Lots of metaphor easier to understand if you read the book. The obelisk is clearly a metaphor for the fruit of the tree of knowledge in Genesis.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bramski
Watch flash movie when you have 15 minutes to spare.

www.kubrick2001.com...

I was going to post this link as well - quite the experience.

Wikipedia has a nice write up of all the varied theories also -

look for "interpretations of 2001:A Space Odyssey" (tried posting link and it wouldn't work)

I watched it again recently for the first time in 10 years and decided to look into it. If I recall correctly, the ending was mostly Kubrick's and Clark even said at the time he didn't completely understand it. The book was written after the film so to speak, as the film's story was a collaboration between Clark and Kubrick. Of all the stuff I’ve found that flash presentation did the best job of giving the imagery and experience a tangible meaning.

IMHO the follow up film and novels try to make too much practical sense out of Kubrick's true artistic vision.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by maudeeb]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Stanley Kubrick never did explain the meaning of the movie. He left it up to your own interpretation..... and ever since every man and his dog has tried to analysis it to near extinction.

My thinking is "A great movie to escape from the world a couple of hours".

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bramski
Watch flash movie when you have 15 minutes to spare.

www.kubrick2001.com...

Thank You Bramski.
That was quite an experience and well explained.

Originally posted by maudeeb

Wikipedia has a nice write up of all the varied theories also -

look for "interpretations of 2001:A Space Odyssey" (tried posting link and it wouldn't work)

Here you Go

[edit on 18-8-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hmmm. Going from a step 0, to a step one, step two. Then in 2010 a step three species. Never thought of that. Fine point Blane.
Shearder as far as Hal being the matrix. I think you are spot on. 2010 keys highly upon the main character turning to pure energy. Visiting family members thru tv and radio. reply to post by Blaine91555

[edit on 8/18/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think this discussion has become seriously interesting and makes a person want to look into it more and read the sequels.

Without going back, which is bad actually, to see who said i should by the book - what you need to know about me is i don't have the time to really sit down and read these days. However, most of my time is, by default, in front of a computer/laptop due to the nature of my work. So, when i have a spare few minutes it is easier reading an ebook and than lugging huge books around. NOT that i do not sanction buying or reading books. I just don't have the luxury of time the last few months. In fact, even less in the coming months.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Umm. The paperbacks I bought weighed about a half lb apiece. Truly sorry about your time constraints. The day I still cannot enjoy a good book is the day I smash my puter.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Umm. The paperbacks I bought weighed about a half lb apiece.

I was generalising. For example, i am sure you know the size of books on software development and the like. Not that it matters, but, i am an IT project manager and when i run new projects of types i haven't before i like to learn more about what i am managing. So ebooks are easiest for me or i would be lugging 2-3 books around that could probably weigh around 3-5lbs each. I only use a laptop bag and amount other documents i have to lug around books just won't fit unless i carry a separate bag for those. See what i mean?

Truly sorry about your time constraints. The day I still cannot enjoy a good book is the day I smash my puter.
Time constraints are all good. I am married with a little daughter - that adds to time constraints

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
I managed to get through watching 2001: A Space Odyssey this weekend - EVENTUALLY..

Ok, so am i missing the point (??) besides it being a "showcase" of futuristic, back then and to some extent now, technology?

Without sounding stupid - what was the point of this almost 2 1/2 hour movie? Yeah to say there IS intelligent life "out there". But what else?

best film ever

I know how that sounds

this thing has been analyzed to death - and back again - for good reason

for some of us it will never get old

here's a thread you might find interesting:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

be sure to look over the link in the opening post: Alchemical Kubrick

you don't have to look at it as the explanation - in fact - please don't

the truly amazing things in art, philosophy and science don't necessarily have one explanation

but it's an interesting take on the film - enough to maybe let you in on how something that appears to be so incredibly simple on the surface - and even tame by today's standards- can get your head spinning - if you let it

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thanks Spiramirabilis!

Will have a look.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join